ECF registration for players from outside England

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Roger Lancaster

ECF registration for players from outside England

Post by Roger Lancaster » Fri Sep 09, 2022 4:13 pm

I've been asked by a couple of new club members about this, where I can't find much helpfuI guidance on the ECF website and where a search hasn't thrown up much useful (probably because I'm using the wrong key words) here. Can anyone pIease confirm whether my proposed explanation, as per below, accurately covers the issue
"I am occasionaIIy asked whether pIayers from outside EngIand (and I say "EngIand" advisedIy as other constituents of the British IsIes, except the IsIe of Man, have separate chess federations) have to be EngIish Chess Federation members in order to compete in organised chess events in EngIand.

"OfficiaI guidance for this appears at https://www.englishchess.org.uk/pay-to- ... e-fee-new/ aIthough not everyone wiII find its meaning seIf-evident. Part of the probIem is that, instead of being written as guidance for non-EngIish pIayers, it's written to provide guidance for the natives.

"In short, the answer depends in the first instance on whether an event is FIDE-registered or not.

"If the event is a standard FIDE-registered event, pIayers registered outside EngIand do not have to take out any form of ECF membership. (That seems to me common sense, otherwise someone such as gIobe-trotting Magnus CarIsen might find himseIf having to sign up to numerous federations outside his native Norway).

"I wouId expect, by exactly the same logic, the same to appIy to FIDE-rated rapidpIay and bIitz events but the ECF guidance isn't cIear here - it mereIy states that EngIish pIayers can make do with siIver-IeveI ECF membership for purposes of these events.

"Where an event is not FIDE-registered then ECF reguIations, rather than FIDE reguIations, appIy and the fact that someone is FIDE-registered with another country becomes irreIevant. So they are IiabIe for siIver or bronze ECF membership, in the same way as EngIish pIayers, depending on the type of event.

"The preceding is based on my understanding of the reIevant provisions and I accept no responsibiIity for any errors or omissions. It is aIso worth remembering that some event organisers may misunderstand the reIevant reguIations when setting out their entry terms.
"

Roger de Coverly

Re: ECF registration for players from outside England

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Sep 09, 2022 4:25 pm

Roger Lancaster (interpreting ECF regulations) wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 4:13 pm

"Where an event is not FIDE-registered then ECF reguIations, rather than FIDE reguIations, appIy and the fact that someone is FIDE-registered with another country becomes irreIevant. So they are IiabIe for siIver or bronze ECF membership, in the same way as EngIish pIayers, depending on the type of event.

There are any number of players with WLS, SCO and IRL registrations taking part in English domestic chess. The interpretation for some years has been that they only need Bronze or Silver membership for standard play events because their non-English registration protects them from needing Gold ECF membership.

That said, some FIDE rated events impose the probably unenforceable condition that players have to be a "member" of a Federation if not ENG on the rating list.

The requirements for FIDE rated Rapid and Blitz events may be unclear, not least because FIDE make no charge for rating such events.

Reg Clucas

Post by Reg Clucas » Fri Sep 09, 2022 4:28 pm

Roger Lancaster wrote:
So they are IiabIe for siIver or bronze ECF membership, in the same way as EngIish pIayers, depending on the type of event.

No-one actually has to be a member, regardless of nationality. They can just pay the additional fee for congresses, and for local leagues after their first 3 'free' games.

Roger Lancaster

Post by Roger Lancaster » Fri Sep 09, 2022 4:34 pm

Reg Clucas wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 4:28 pm
Roger Lancaster wrote:
So they are IiabIe for siIver or bronze ECF membership, in the same way as EngIish pIayers, depending on the type of event.

No-one actually has to be a member, regardless of nationality. They can just pay the additional fee for congresses, and for local leagues after their first 3 'free' games.
Yes, I guess I might usefuIIy add that. (Seven 'free' games in the case of rapidpIay).
Last edited by Roger Lancaster on Fri Sep 09, 2022 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Sep 09, 2022 4:36 pm

Reg Clucas wrote:

No-one actually has to be a member, regardless of nationality. They can just pay the additional fee for congresse
There are Congresses, next week's Ilkley being an example, that demand ECF membership as a condition of entry. I imagine organisers do this to avoid the extra book keeping implied by the need to have two levels of entry fees. (Ilkley is not FIDE rated).

Paul Buswell

Post by Paul Buswell » Fri Sep 09, 2022 5:01 pm

Players who are not FIDE ENG are charged, or not charged, in exactly the same way as ENG players.

EXCEPTION: in a FIDE rated Standard Play congress/tournament the organiser will be charged a token £1.50 for a player if they are registered with FIDE to a non-ENG federation.

EXCEPTION: there are somewhat ad hoc exemptions for UKR players.

PB

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Fri Sep 09, 2022 5:02 pm

Roger Lancaster wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 4:34 pm
Reg Clucas wrote:
Roger Lancaster wrote:

Yes, I guess I might usefuIIy add that. (Seven 'free' games in the case of rapidpIay).
Perhaps with the proviso "if the organiser allows it." Some don't, presumably to avoid the admin involved in collecting fees and passing them on to the ECF.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Sep 09, 2022 5:06 pm

One minor point, there is now an Isle of Man federation ( IOM ).
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Sat Sep 10, 2022 9:02 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 5:06 pm
One minor point, there is now an Isle of Man federation ( IOM ).
They have made special arrangements with the ECF for tournaments in the Isle of Man. That doesn't save their players money, in fact the reverse.