Christmas 'Chess' presents

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Joey Stewart

Christmas 'Chess' presents

Post by Joey Stewart » Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:24 pm

I'm sure you all are familiar with this scenario- a friend or relative with zero knowledge of the game discovers you play chess and buys you something horrendous that they think you'll absolutely love.

I've been given multiple sets of 'shot' chess (because the idea of drinking myself into a coma goes hand in hand with chess, right), stupid novelty pieces (I call these the bin man special) and several very basic books which even beginners would find too trivial.

What is the worst chess related gift you have received in your years as a chess player?
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.

Matt Mackenzie

Re: Christmas 'Chess' presents

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Wed Dec 21, 2022 3:16 pm

I have a few "novelty" sets given as presents, and never actually used. They look quite nice, though.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Wed Dec 21, 2022 6:01 pm

I always, if asked, ask for book tokens. I was once given, thanks to a mutual secret Santa, one of those hideous glass sets from a girl I worked beside at work. She had a degree in Egyptology, I gave her a Cleopatra statue which thrilled her to bits. I waited a month or two and dumped the glass set in a charity shop.

I still have and occasionally use the wooden chess set and solid board I was given for Christmas in 1962. It's what kicked me off. The pieces have been re-felted x amount of times. (you can get thin sticky felt from most haberdasheries.) the squares on the board have become a bit worn and faded. (especially f7 :) )

'...a bit worn and faded.'
Like me. My memory is now so bad that when I go out and try to chat up a girl my opening line is; "Do I come here often?"
(that, in case you missed it, was your Christmas joke.)

David Williams

Post by David Williams » Wed Dec 21, 2022 8:46 pm

Geoff Chandler wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 6:01 pm
I was once given, thanks to a mutual secret Santa, one of those hideous glass sets from a girl I worked beside at work. She had a degree in Egyptology, I gave her a Cleopatra statue which thrilled her to bits. I waited a month or two and dumped the glass set in a charity shop.
I wonder if her version of this story involves a hideous Cleopatra statue destined for a charity shop, and a glass chess set that thrilled you to bits.

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Wed Dec 21, 2022 11:40 pm

Hi David.

:)

She kept it on her desk all the time I knew her. It was not cheap, I bought it NEW! from the Edinburgh Museum. (everyone gets and expects something from a charity shop.)

She was one of the most interesting people I ever met. She loved her subject and loved even more talking about it. I often sat with her at lunch just to learn more about it and she had the patience to answer all my questions. Her ambition was to go on an Egyptian dig. I hope she made it.

Richard Thursby

Post by Richard Thursby » Wed Dec 21, 2022 11:46 pm

I have an LOTR set ("WTC" version as, in at least one catalogue listing the set, the film title got confused with some then recently destroyed buildings) which sadly never sees the light of day. Some really tiny chess board coasters. A pair of chess socks that I am fairly sure I have never worn. I did make use of the king-shaped USB stick to transfer a DVD that kept skipping. Book ends in the shape of a king and knight, which at the moment don't have anything between them. An opening repertoire book which, upon further analysis, didn't have the greatest of reviews.

The most frustrating was a classic chess book before it had been published in algebraic. Trying to read the descriptive added a layer of difficulty to the already fairly technical manual. I also received a copy of a book I already had.

At the other end of the scale, I received my first computer chess set (bought the day after Magnus Carlson was born) from which through practice I learned to beat on all its levels over a period of about three years. In recent years I have made requests for specific books and DVDs that have interested me, so those have generally been better.

Joey Stewart

Post by Joey Stewart » Mon Dec 26, 2022 12:24 pm

Pleased to say I recieved no 'chess' presents at all yesterday, I consider that a good year.
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Mon Dec 26, 2022 9:53 pm

I received nothing chess related for Christmas this year. Although I did receive a large amount of waxed cheeses, various lagers and beers.
I also received a Sherlock Holmes Puzzle Book amongst a few other items.
Over the next few weeks, when I am sales shopping, I will be planning to visit charity shops to look out for some bargain chess books.
As a present 🎁 to you all, over the next number of days, I will be posting a number of chess events in the Congress Diary that are coming up in the new year.
A Merry Christmas to everyone.

David Gilbert

Post by David Gilbert » Mon Dec 26, 2022 10:06 pm

Socks! Chess socks. I've more than a hundred pairs of socks - you can never have too many socks - now I'm the owner of a pair of chess socks. Hmmmm maybe they're lucky magic socks? I'll find out at Shropshire in January.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Tue Dec 27, 2022 10:53 am

I gave my most promising student a first edition of

The Chess Mysteries of Sherlock Holmes

by Raymond Smullyan

and apparently he has been totally absorbed by it for the last two days.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

David York

Post by David York » Wed Dec 28, 2022 1:37 pm

'What is the worst chess related gift you have received in your years as a chess player?' I can't ever recall getting a chess-related Christmas present until this year. Perhaps because my kids noticed I have started doing popup chess events that 'require' a suitable costume I suddenly received suitable socks, shoes and a hat. They are all good!
shoesforpopupchess.jpg
I also got Think Like a Super-GM by Michael Adams and Philip Hurtado which is proving to be a great read.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Wed Dec 28, 2022 3:10 pm

They look super.

In the past I've been given chess boxer shorts, socks, mugs etc...
I have dozens of knick-knacks with a chess theme. egg cups, aftershave bottles, pillow cases, shirts, tea trays, ash trays, pin dishes, coat hangers, alarm clock, door mat (now gone), chess book ends...
You name it and there is strong chance I have a matching chess related item.

This year I got a new sailing yacht (the walks to the various boating ponds keep me fit - better than having a dog.) and a £150 worth of book/dvd/cd tokens which is what I always ask for. (if I don't I'll end up with one of those hideous glass chess sets.)

Joey Stewart

Post by Joey Stewart » Wed Dec 28, 2022 5:51 pm

Geoff Chandler wrote:
Wed Dec 28, 2022 3:10 pm
They look super.

This year I got a new sailing yacht and a £150 worth of book/dvd/cd tokens which is what I always ask for.
Those are some pretty high end presents - your friends and family really go out of their way to defy the stereotype of the Scots being stingy with money.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Wed Dec 28, 2022 6:36 pm

Well it maybe helps there that Geoff isn't actually Scottish.....
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Joey Stewart

Post by Joey Stewart » Wed Dec 28, 2022 8:58 pm

I'm pretty sure he is, he's always talking about playing chess in Edinburgh and no one could commute from England to play there so he must live in the city.