Page 1 of 3

Chess Moves

Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 7:06 pm
by Andrew Martin
It would be interesting to get some feedback for the ECF magazine, ‘Chess Moves’.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Chess Moves

Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 8:07 pm
by Matt Mackenzie
It is still going?

Haven't heard anything about it for ages.

Re: Chess Moves

Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 8:50 pm
by LawrenceCooper
Matt Mackenzie wrote: ↑
Fri Dec 23, 2022 8:07 pm
It is still going?

?haven't heard anything about it for ages.
The last one I received via e-mail was November this year but I think it's circulation is limited to ECF members.

Re: Chess Moves

Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 9:33 pm
by J T Melsom
I have received copies of Chess Moves almost irrespective of my membership status. I don't read all my e-mails but when I opened this, I was pleasantly surprised at the obvious effort that had gone into it. Not sure if anyone is paid for their contribution but to have this as part of ECF membership is a welcome bonus. And if bouquets are in order then well done to the website as well. I hadn't marked it as a place to go, but the advice on resources for new players would have saved me a lot of effort had I looked earlier. Thanks Andrew Martin and others.

Re: Chess Moves

Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 9:35 pm
by Richard James
From what I've seen it looks excellent - but I'm not on the mailing list. I was advised last May that my email address would be added but it didn't happen so I don't officially receive a copy.

I wonder how many other ECF members don't receive it for this reason.

Re: Chess Moves

Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 9:54 pm
by Kevin Thurlow
I know it's considered bad form to be nice on this forum, but "Chess Moves" is very good. So, well done Andrew and team.

Re: Chess Moves

Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 10:12 pm
by Matt Mackenzie
LawrenceCooper wrote: ↑
Fri Dec 23, 2022 8:50 pm
Matt Mackenzie wrote: ↑
Fri Dec 23, 2022 8:07 pm
It is still going?

?haven't heard anything about it for ages.
The last one I received via e-mail was November this year but I think it's circulation is limited to ECF members.
What level?

Re: Chess Moves

Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 10:48 pm
by LawrenceCooper
Matt Mackenzie wrote: ↑
Fri Dec 23, 2022 10:12 pm
LawrenceCooper wrote: ↑
Fri Dec 23, 2022 8:50 pm
Matt Mackenzie wrote: ↑
Fri Dec 23, 2022 8:07 pm
It is still going?

?haven't heard anything about it for ages.
The last one I received via e-mail was November this year but I think it's circulation is limited to ECF members.
What level?
It looks like all levels:

https://www.englishchess.org.uk/ecf-mem ... -benefits/

All members, including ECF Supporters and QGS Supporters also get —

Ability to join ECF online clubs on Chess.com and Lichess, play in online club events, and gain an official ECF online rating – further details are here at https://englishchessonline.org.uk/

ChessMoves – the ECF’s monthly magazine, with a link sent by email

The ECF Yearbook – discounted price for the printed version [the PDF version is free – see the Yearbook archive here]

Eligibility to become an ECF titled player via the ECF Master Points System (recently updated) – click here

Silver ECF members and above are eligible to participate in the ECF Grand Prix – here

Re: Chess Moves

Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 10:52 pm
by John Swain
Keep up the good work, Andrew! Chess Moves is an excellent read, with a wide range of material to suit all tastes.

Re: Chess Moves

Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2022 8:54 am
by Andrew Martin
In fact it is Nigel Towers, Mike Truran, the guys at the office and my predecessors who do and have done the vast majority of the work on each issue, so I should take very little credit. Then we should mention the regular contributors such as Michael Adams, John Nunn, Peter Wells, Keith Arkell, Paul Littlewood and more who provide great content.

I am interested to know that there are ECF members out there who are not receiving the magazine. Please shout if this is the case. I will try to get this sorted if it is a general issue.

Re: Chess Moves

Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2022 11:19 am
by Roger Lancaster
Agree with favourable comment by others.

Re: Chess Moves

Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2022 12:29 pm
by Roger de Coverly
Andrew Martin wrote: ↑
Sat Dec 24, 2022 8:54 am
I am interested to know that there are ECF members out there who are not receiving the magazine. Please shout if this is the case. I will try to get this sorted if it is a general issue.
I would suspect a general issue. As part of membership , the ECF would ask for an email address. Would it also not have to ask for an opt in/out for email communication about other matters?

Re: Chess Moves

Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2022 3:23 pm
by Stephen Westmoreland
Looking forwards to the December edition and getting a paper edition. Very enjoyable publication.

Re: Chess Moves

Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2022 3:35 pm
by Matt Mackenzie
Didn't realise you had to sign up rather than being sent it automatically - so I have now done so :)

Re: Chess Moves

Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2022 3:53 pm
by Andrew Martin
Hopefully, signing up will do the trick.