Christmas Quiz

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Mike Truran

Re: Christmas Quiz

Post by Mike Truran » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:20 pm

Bronstein thought 40+ mins against Botvinnik, but not as an opening move as far as I know.

Mike Truran

Post by Mike Truran » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:41 pm

To expand......Bronstein thought for forty minutes in the twenty third game before resigning, and for forty five minutes in the sixth game before playing an appalling blunder in a simply drawn endgame.

Actually the answer is no doubt Bronstein/Boleslavsky/50 minutes (2nd game of their play-off match). The passage is however just a tiny bit tricky, no doubt intentionally so. Bronstein was actually Black (thinking 50 minutes over playing 1. ......Nf6 in reply to 1. e4) - so the "two motionless rows of pieces" part still works inasmuch as the pawns don't count.

Simon Spivack

Post by Simon Spivack » Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:01 pm

Watching a certain TV programme prompted this question.
Mike Truran wrote:To expand......Bronstein thought for forty minutes in the twenty third game before resigning, and for forty five minutes in the sixth game before playing an appalling blunder in a simply drawn endgame.

Actually the answer is no doubt Bronstein/Boleslavsky/50 minutes (2nd game of their play-off match). The passage is however just a tiny bit tricky, no doubt intentionally so. Bronstein was actually Black (thinking 50 minutes over playing 1. ......Nf6 in reply to 1. e4) - so the "two motionless rows of pieces" part still works inasmuch as the pawns don't count.
Yes. The quote can be found on page five of the previously mentioned book.

Boleslavsky was well aware of Bronstein's proclivities. I doubt he was upset by the wait. Bronstein and Boleslavsky were very good friends.

From David Bronstein, chess improviser by Vainstein, ISBN 0-08-029723-4, page 74:
It is difficult to imagine the nervous tension which must have prevailed, and how the players reacted to it. Even then Boleslavsky and Bronstein did not behave maliciously or hostilely to each other, but amicably shook hands, smiled, and, conversing in familiar terms, discussed each game on its conclusion.
Bronstein's relations with Botvinnik were much more problematic. He sometimes exasperated the older man.

Mike, along with many other readers of these fora, unquestionably knows these things, as well as of the much later marriage between Bronstein and Boleslavky's daughter (a formidable lady in her own right).

That question was far too easy. Here's the next.

The name Nikolay Vasilevich Krylenko should be known to chess players, because of his role in promoting chess in the former Soviet Union. He was tried, found guilty of anti-Soviet activities and executed on 29 July 1938. The USSR Supreme Court overturned the conviction. Give the day, month and year when this happened. Also, in which Soviet city was a statue of him erected post the rehabilitation?

Mike Truran

Post by Mike Truran » Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:02 am

(a) 10 August 1955
(b) Smolensk (1985)

Keep them coming!

Simon Spivack

Post by Simon Spivack » Thu Dec 24, 2009 5:51 pm

In his obituary about Bogatyrchuk, published in The New Russian Word (USA) on September, 19th 1984, Rurik Dudin (an anti-Soviet émigré) wrote:
Он родился 7 июля 1892 года в Киеве. Окончил медицинский факультет Киевского университета. Во время Первой мировой войны служил в 109-м Овручском полку. Во время гражданской войны – в дивизии Сечевых стрельцов.
In English:
He was born on July, 7th, 1892 in Kiev. He graduated from the medical faculty of Kiev University. During the First World War he served in the 109th division in Ovruch. During the Civil War – in the Sich Rifle division.
Sergei Voronkov points out, in the previously mentioned Internet article, from which the above quotes are taken, that Bogatyrchuk was born on the 27th November (new style). He also mentions that Bogatyrchuk served in the 309th division, contrary to what is given.

The words "Sich Rifle division" are rather ambiguous. It is safe to say that Dudin did not mean the Sich formations incorporated into the Red Army at the time of the Russo-Polish War, the men of which soon deserted. Given the geographical description, it is likely that the unit raised in Kiev was meant. Who became the chief of staff of that unit?

Mike Truran

Post by Mike Truran » Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:43 pm

Too difficult for me! I can only spend so much time on research. Anyone else? To be fair, apart from the (tenuous?) link to (the relatively unimportant?) Bogatyrchuk, what's the chess connection? Then again, maybe the answer will reveal all.

Simon Spivack

Post by Simon Spivack » Fri Dec 25, 2009 5:22 pm

Well, if you think I'm bad. Have you tried that jingle on Chessbase? When I heard that racket, I couldn't close my browser fast enough. :-)

Reflecting upon it. What I am writing about is probably best put in the Chess History Forum (IMO, there's no need to move this thread). I shall probably start posting there in a day or two.

If anyone is looking for a quiz, there is one on Chess Vibes, home page: http://www.chessvibes.com/ .

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:58 am

The following question occurred in a quiz at The Thatched Cottage public house, Cove last night :

"Which board game has FIDE (pronounced fyde rather that feeday by the quizmaster) as its governing body?"

I suggested Hungry Hippos.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Simon Spivack

Post by Simon Spivack » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:08 pm

John Upham wrote:The following question occurred in a quiz at The Thatched Cottage public house, Cove last night :

"Which board game has FIDE (pronounced fyde rather that feeday by the quizmaster) as its governing body?"

I suggested Hungry Hippos.
The game is called peculation. Its head suffers from illusions of being given a serious talking to by aliens.