Hastings

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Paul Buswell

Re: Hastings

Post by Paul Buswell » Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:05 am

Jonathan Bryant wrote:Thanks for the tips guys.

I might investigate Warrior Square as an option. Failing that at least it will be downhill on the way home ;-)
As you are a stranger to the town I suggest you use Hastings station rather than St. Leonards Warrior Square, to give it its proper name used on timetable websites. (In passing: every single train here calls at both stations, and fares are often the same)

Even if Warrior Square is a touch closer it's not by much, and navigation on foot is easier from Hastings - up the main road out of the centre rather than criss-crossing back streets. And there's uphill whichever way you do it.

There are buses from Hastings station forecourt. Admittedly it's an infrequent service on that road but you might get lucky, and I don't know offhand of any direct buses from Warrior Square station, and the bus stop there is a good 150 yds away on an entirely separate road. Stagecoach website for details.

There is a taxi rank at Hastings station. At Warrior Square you need to hunt out the minicab office in the corner of the station forecourt (south side of station).
(Tip: loads more taxis in Hastings if you leave the station approach road and at the traffic lights go ahead downhill to the rank on Havelock Rd - 200 yds)
(Tip: this is the taxi firm at Warrior Square station if you are running late and need to ring ahead:
http://www.alphataxishastings.com)
I doubt the fare is more than a fiver but I'm not a regular taxi user here.

PB

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:10 am

Many thanks Paul.

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:45 am

Jonathan Bryant wrote:Does anybody know how far the venue is from the train station? Is it walkable? (By walkable I mean 20-30 mins on foot at most)
Its about 0.75 miles from Hastings railway station, so easily walkable.

Simon Williams

Post by Simon Williams » Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:08 am

Hi Guys. Hope everyone is ready for Hastings!!

I am just want to let everyone know about an event I am planning to run on Monday the 4th Jan. We are going to use the back room at the Pig and Paradise pub to launch a 'Dutch' theme tournament!

This is going to co-inside with a DVD I am bringing out. Guess what the DVD is on the 'Classical Dutch!' it is going to be intitled 'The Killer Dutch'. The aim of the DVD is to teach people the opening, concentrating on the ideas behind the plans and not just 'Parrot' fashion variations. Obviously the DVD will also have new and interesting ideas included.

The DVD will be at a higher level then anything else out there, the quality and production is very high, much better than Chessbase. I have been lucky enough to have the help of 'Chilli Pepper Films' to finish it. They are an award winning production company, the owner has worked with ITV for 20 years. The DVD is going to be 6.30 hours long with plenty of extras! We are bringing a limited pre release run of 100 signed DVD's with us, hopefully we can sell a couple.

The idea of the tournament is to have a minimum of £100 prize fund, plus extra prizes (DVD's etc) but all games must start with 1 d4 f5!

We havent finalised the details of who is going to run the event but I am hoping Paul Buswell can help us out there! Hi Paul! my email is [email protected] please contact me! But I can guarantee there will be something happening on the Monday! The pub has confirmed that we can use their venue.

For a preview of the DVD check out my website www.gingergm.com

Ok hope I havent bored too many people, look forward to seeing some of you at Hastings!

www.gingergm.com :D Merry Christmas!

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:24 am

Simon,

Can you play if you only want to take the White pieces?

Good luck for your tournament : it sounds like a great idea!

John
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Simon Williams

Post by Simon Williams » Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:11 pm

Hi John,

I expect that rather than play I will prop myself up against the bar... But if you like I can play 1 f4 in every game!

Have a good Christmas!

Keith Arkell

Post by Keith Arkell » Thu Dec 24, 2009 7:26 pm

Hi Si,count me in - what better place to learn something about the Dutch than in the Pig over a pint or 3 :idea: :lol:

Merry Christmas m8 and c u in a few days :wink:

Phil Makepeace

Post by Phil Makepeace » Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:57 pm

I'm tipping Ezra Kirk to get close to 50% and perform to at least +2 on FIDE. Watch out Hastings!

Ian Lamb

Post by Ian Lamb » Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:01 pm

I like David Howell's chances, but I think the Frenchman, GM Romain Edouard, may shock a few and win it.

Ian Lamb

Post by Ian Lamb » Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:19 pm

I see the frenchman has Jack rudd in round one. Lets hope the live games work on the first day! as Hastings has as a record of them not working on day one.

Ian Lamb

Post by Ian Lamb » Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:59 pm

looks like the games are working so far.Looks like Don Mason gone for the line Carlsen used v Toplov in china against Hebden Kings indian. early h3 idea.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:02 pm

Simon Williams is trying another interesting a3 idea; this time in the QGD, Blackburne Variation.

My spidey sense says this game could end amusingly but not for Black...

The response times for the lives games feed seems poor and there is no coverage from PlayChess : perhaps the string is drying out?

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:10 pm

John Upham wrote:The response times for the lives games feed seems poor and there is no coverage from PlayChess : perhaps the string is drying out?
I cannot even access the string at the moment, although I am only just back from a few days off...

Working on it!
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:27 pm

There is interesting weirdness on board 8 (Arkell - Talsma) featuring the Bogoljubov Variation of the Dutch where Black plays the thematic but rarely tried 3..Sh6

10..Sd7 was a novelty

I like White and have put 5p on White to win.

Ian Lamb

Post by Ian Lamb » Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:28 pm

there a link direct to site which is the one iam using bit slow but its working.http://www.hastingschess.org.uk/gamevie ... efault.htm