Rules concerning blitz?

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
NickFaulks

Re: Rules concerning blitz?

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Feb 24, 2023 5:00 pm

MJMcCready wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 4:28 pm
So I spoke to the arbiter in question tonight. He said he is not using the current rules, he is using the old rules because they are less annoying.
Love it!
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Fri Feb 24, 2023 5:33 pm

MJMcCready wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 4:28 pm
So I spoke to the arbiter in question tonight. He said he is not using the current rules, he is using the old rules because they are less annoying.
I suppose the obvious question is whether games are eligible for FIDE rating if they are not being played to the current rules. I would say no because the rating regulations say "Play shall be governed by the FIDE Laws of Chess" and that implies the current Laws.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Fri Feb 24, 2023 5:41 pm

"he is using the old rules because they are less annoying."

Well, yes, that is true. The Blitz laws only really work if the arbiters outnumber the players. Unfortunately, you need to use the right Laws...

At least FIDE only change the Laws occasionally.

"I suppose the obvious question is whether games are eligible for FIDE rating if they are not being played to the current rules. I would say no because the rating regulations say "Play shall be governed by the FIDE Laws of Chess" and that implies the current Laws."

Bad wording, it should actually specify the "current" Laws, rather tha imply them... Proper legislation usually specifies the date, I believe.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Feb 24, 2023 8:07 pm

Kevin Thurlow wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 5:41 pm
Bad wording, it should actually specify the "current" Laws, rather than imply them... Proper legislation usually specifies the date, I believe.
I had never considered that, but I suppose you're right.

All the same, when the FO recommends that visitors to Turkey keep within Turkish law, I do assume they do not mean whatever was current in 1850.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Fri Feb 24, 2023 8:38 pm

Kevin Thurlow wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 5:41 pm

Well, yes, that is true. The Blitz laws only really work if the arbiters outnumber the players. Unfortunately, you need to use the right Laws...
Surely you mean it the other way around?

The Blitz laws apply when there is an insufficient number of arbiters:
B.3.1 The Competition Rules shall apply if:
B.3.1.1 one arbiter supervises one game and
B.3.1.2 each game is recorded by the arbiter or his assistant and, if possible, by
electronic means.
The standard laws apply if there is one arbiter per game, otherwise the Blitz Laws of Appendix B apply.
FIDE Arbiter, FIDE Instructor
Richmond Junior Chess Club
Fulham Junior Chess Club
ECF Games Played Abroad Administrator

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Fri Feb 24, 2023 8:59 pm

Searching through the records, it would seem that the event concerned is: https://ratings.fide.com/report.phtml?event=316514&t=2,
a blitz tournament played in Bangkok. However, neither arbiter, nor organiser seem to be IA, both being recorded as NA.

It does seem disturbing, though, that an event can be FIDE rated when the arbiter/organiser was determined to rule contrary to the FIDE Laws.
FIDE Arbiter, FIDE Instructor
Richmond Junior Chess Club
Fulham Junior Chess Club
ECF Games Played Abroad Administrator

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Sat Feb 25, 2023 4:16 am

Yes that is indeed the tournament in question.

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Sat Feb 25, 2023 4:22 am

Paul McKeown wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 8:59 pm
Searching through the records, it would seem that the event concerned is: https://ratings.fide.com/report.phtml?event=316514&t=2,
a blitz tournament played in Bangkok. However, neither arbiter, nor organiser seem to be IA, both being recorded as NA.

It does seem disturbing, though, that an event can be FIDE rated when the arbiter/organiser was determined to rule contrary to the FIDE Laws.
His main beef is that one illegal move should lose you the game and not two because with two you have to stop the clock and call the arbiter over and that's hassle.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sat Feb 25, 2023 11:42 am

MJMcCready wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2023 4:22 am
His main beef is that one illegal move should lose you the game and not two because with two you have to stop the clock and call the arbiter over and that's hassle.
I completely agree with him on that. In fact I would go further. When we played blitz at school, an en prise king was simply taken, as a queen would be, and I still believe that is the most satisfactory approach.

However, it is not what the Laws say and in a rated event the Laws must be followed. If MJM were to make a formal complaint, it would not be ignored and there is at least a chance that he would regain his lost rating points.

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:31 am

ok but rating points matter very little to me. I wanted to raise the question because it was the first time I had heard such things being said and it left me in a confused state. Thanks for all the feedback everyone.