Annoying time wasting

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
John Clarke

Re: Annoying time wasting

Post by John Clarke » Mon Aug 28, 2023 10:49 pm

MJMcCready wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2023 4:44 pm
He could be quite horrible at times. I've seen him slam the clock and then stare his opponent down for long periods, trying to intimidate him. It was done in a rather nasty way also.
MJMcCready wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2023 5:47 pm
Nope because he stared down his opponent when it was his turn to move also. Can't remember exactly who he was playing, some eastern European guy with a rather tricky name.
Maybe referring to the photo in Keene and Levy's book of the 1972 Skopje Olympiad, showing Browne during his game against Ortvin Sarapu (who was Estonian-born, but emigrated to New Zealand after WWII). The caption refers to him trying "a spot of hypnotism", which I suppose is one polite way of putting it.
"The chess-board is the world ..... the player on the other side is hidden from us ..... he never overlooks a mistake, or makes the smallest allowance for ignorance."
(He doesn't let you resign and start again, either.)

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Tue Aug 29, 2023 9:29 am

Chris Goodall wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2023 10:07 pm
Ooh, are we besmirching the memory of great players? I heard Bobby Fischer was a touch unfiltered on occasions.
It would be quite something if we started a thread "Besmirching the memory of great players" in the obituary section. Any one volunteering?

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Tue Aug 29, 2023 6:37 pm

Well it has been proven that chess causes madness, so it's understandable.

Ian Jamieson

Post by Ian Jamieson » Tue Aug 29, 2023 6:48 pm

Or you have to be mad to spend more than a certain amount of time and money on chess?

MSoszynski

Post by MSoszynski » Wed Aug 30, 2023 7:40 am

Ian Jamieson wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2023 6:48 pm
Or you have to be mad to spend more than a certain amount of time...
... on chess forums?

Joey Stewart

Post by Joey Stewart » Wed Aug 30, 2023 11:15 am

Jonathan Rogers wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2023 9:29 am
Chris Goodall wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2023 10:07 pm
Ooh, are we besmirching the memory of great players? I heard Bobby Fischer was a touch unfiltered on occasions.
It would be quite something if we started a thread "Besmirching the memory of great players" in the obituary section. Any one volunteering?
There's a lot of great players who were not great people - nothing wrong with respecting someone's skill over the board but holding them in contempt for their personal views (Fischer being one of the most famous examples) and I almost think better to do it after they are dead so you don't have to worry about any repercussions.
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Wed Aug 30, 2023 3:12 pm

Equally though, people like Fischer are on the other extreme and not typical of even the great chess players.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Joey Stewart

Post by Joey Stewart » Wed Aug 30, 2023 10:15 pm

Matt Mackenzie wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2023 3:12 pm
Equally though, people like Fischer are on the other extreme and not typical of even the great chess players.
I'd say as far as world champions go theres quite a lot of them who seemed to have a reputation of being unpleasant people - Alekhine, Botvinnik, Fischer, Karpov, Kasparov, topalov, carlsen have all had their share of controversies.

At least, however, you can't fault their excellence at the game - far worse is to be a horrible person AND a horrible chess player.
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.

Nigel White

Post by Nigel White » Fri Sep 01, 2023 8:00 am

Returning to the original subject of annoying time wasting, in the final round of the above mentioned tournament for 7 of the 22 boards a player failed to turn up without informing the organisers. Thankfully, six of us were re-paired after the default time (but with a quicker time control).

While you sadly expect such selfish behaviour from one or two players, I was rather disappointed that so many did so.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Fri Sep 01, 2023 11:17 am

"7 of the 22 boards a player failed to turn up without informing the organisers. "

That's terrible - the odd one is irritating, but seven!

Brendan O'Gorman

Post by Brendan O'Gorman » Fri Sep 01, 2023 11:37 am

Nigel White wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2023 8:00 am
Returning to the original subject of annoying time wasting, in the final round of the above mentioned tournament for 7 of the 22 boards a player failed to turn up without informing the organisers. Thankfully, six of us were re-paired after the default time (but with a quicker time control).

While you sadly expect such selfish behaviour from one or two players, I was rather disappointed that so many did so.
Administratively tiresome, but I'd urge the organisers to demand a deposit from these players before allowing them to enter future events. The deposit (£50 ?) would be returned after the final round if they'd behaved properly.

Nigel White

Post by Nigel White » Fri Sep 01, 2023 11:58 am

Brendan O'Gorman wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2023 11:37 am
Nigel White wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2023 8:00 am

Administratively tiresome, but I'd urge the organisers to demand a deposit from these players before allowing them to enter future events. The deposit (£50 ?) would be returned after the final round if they'd behaved properly.
While I've seen such terms stated in the entry conditions (e.g. for the British Championships) for defaults before the final round, I can't see organisers putting in place something which might deter future entrants to tournaments.

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Fri Sep 01, 2023 12:46 pm

Nigel White wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2023 11:58 am
While I've seen such terms stated in the entry conditions (e.g. for the British Championships) for defaults before the final round, I can't see organisers putting in place something which might deter future entrants to tournaments.
That wouldn't reflect well on the organisers if it was known that was their reason for not doing so. They'd be saying that taking players' entry fees is more important to them than ensuring an enjoyable tournament for everyone.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Fri Sep 01, 2023 4:12 pm

Well maybe fifty quid is a bit steep for a weekend congress, but it is harder to disagree with the principle.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)