Corus starts tomorrow Short in group A Howell in group B.

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
E Michael White

Re: Corus starts tomorrow Short in group A Howell in group B.

Post by E Michael White » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:16 pm

Paul McKeown re Bok - Kuipers
I know a bit about this odd system for Black. The first new move according to my database was 9. Qh5. In two other games White played Qg2 for 50%. The Ng4 manoeuvre seems to me to work better against 6.Re1 where in 13 games Black scored @ 54% for 2419.

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:46 pm

Matt Mackenzie wrote:Wow, just wow. Not *only* beating Carlsen, but that's the first time Kramnik has won more than once with Black in a "classical" event since when...........??
I really loved watching that game - I often play Semi-Slav set-ups as Black - this seemed similar with the Black queenside majority playing touch down whilst the Black King undertakes self-defence and material considerations such as the exchange or so don't matter if the pawns take away enough space. (Not that I play it well - unlike Vladi K!)

Vlad thinks it might have been his best ever game

Andy Burnett

Post by Andy Burnett » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:54 pm

Paul McKeown wrote:Can anyone explain that game Bok - Kuipers to me, please?

At first sight it just seemed to be complete garbage by White, some random sacrifice or oversight - that after wasting time in the opening and then weakening the White squares around his king. Then, however, he went on to chase the Black king all over the place and eventually won. Don't understand that at all it just looked like shocking crap.

I presume now that it's actually some sort of theory. Just hope I never see it in practice - man that was ugly!

Can anyone help me here with that one?
Hi Paul,
White's sacrifice seemed perfectly reasonable to me (though the engines may beg to differ!?). If white has wasted time in the opening then surely black has wasted more as he is significantly behind in development and the 'weakened' white squares around the white king are irrelevant after the sacrifice.

It all looked to me like a fairly standard white hack against the Sicilian! Perhaps not fully sound but horribly difficult and unpleasant to defend as black. Not sure about "ugly" - beauty is in the eye of the beholder after all :wink:
Andy Burnett

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:01 pm

Andy - fair enough. Not sure what the engines say about it, someone else will know. Must say that back in the days of yore when I played 1. e4, my hack attacks did often start when I lost a dodgy knight on d5. Just that this particular opening looked particularly unsightly - that it diverged from existing theory at move nine doesn't really surprise; I would hate to think it had all been played before. I nearly lost my lunch looking at it!!

Regards,
Paul McKeown.

benedgell

Post by benedgell » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:16 pm

Looks like a bad day for the kids: Ray Robson walked into mate in 1, whilst Anish Giri lost to bottom seed, Miss Muzychuk.

Ian Lamb

Post by Ian Lamb » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:58 pm

wow carslen played the french defence today!!

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:09 pm

Carlsen looking good now. But could someone with an engine please explain to me why Kariakin could not have played 24 Nxd5 ?

Phil Neatherway

Post by Phil Neatherway » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:33 pm

Why didn't Howell play 23. Bxa8?

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:38 pm

I was wondering that but there is no possible reason why not; so surely it is a fault in transmission

But the game Kariakin v Carlsen, which I assume will be resigned shortly by White, looks correct enough. And it turned when White decided he could not play 24 Nxd5, as he must surely have been intending. Come on, someone tell us why not ....

James Pratt

Post by James Pratt » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:39 pm

Nigel has played the Alekhine against Leko. Has he ever played this before?? :?

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:42 pm

Against Adams at Simpsons 2008 (easy draw). I believe on other occasions too. Presumably not as a tribute to Tony Miles ...

E Michael White

Post by E Michael White » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:05 pm

Jonathan Rogers wrote:But the game Kariakin v Carlsen, which I assume will be resigned shortly by White, looks correct enough. And it turned when White decided he could not play 24 Nxd5, as he must surely have been intending.
Looks to me like it drops material unless white allows something like :- 24. Nxd5 Bxd5 25. Rxd5 Nf4 26. Rd4 Qc5 27. Rd7 Nxd3 28. cxd3 Qxg1+

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:55 pm

Just looked at Anish Giri on Wikipedia. I hope to play him at chess, because I don't fancy taking him on at any other academic pursuit! Definitely worth a read - interesting stuff.

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:08 pm

thanks Michael, yes the ...Qg1 tactic is probably the answer.

LozCooper

Post by LozCooper » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:22 pm

Looks like the live games have died a death both on the site and on icc. Just as I was commenting about how good the coverage has been :oops: