Corus starts tomorrow Short in group A Howell in group B.

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Ian Lamb

Re: Corus starts tomorrow Short in group A Howell in group B.

Post by Ian Lamb » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:23 am

nice quotes here from Vk on the Dutch "Around 3 o'clock last night I was pretty annoyed. I hadn't found anything yet and it's not possible you can equalize with the Dutch. Finally I had a shower, where I realized that I just shouldn't take on e4!" That how serious Vk take his prep he was studying at 3am the dutch for a game the next afternoon. "I knoew Nakamura would play the Dutch, as I'm somehow known as a theoretician. what you think of these quotes?

Ian Lamb

Post by Ian Lamb » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:33 am

if you guess the opening that Nakamura was going to play and you spend hours like it seems Kramnik did studying this line your bound to beat it as the Dutch is not played at high level apart from Nakamura plays it over 2700. Vladmir Kramnik showed what a suspect opening the Dutch really is. And why no top 10 players in the world play it.

Ian Lamb

Post by Ian Lamb » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:36 am

here Wes so also shows why the Dutch is not good for black and Suspect in corus B. What your views?

http://www.chessdom.com/corus-2010/wesley-so-reinderman

Trefor Owens

Post by Trefor Owens » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:12 pm

Fortunately I am at a level where the result of a game between two Super-GMs is likely to have no relevance to the validity of my opening play. :(

I don’t play the Dutch, though I have been tempted and may try it in the future, however I doubt very much that it will ever be proven to be suspect at mere mortal level.
In fact I doubt that any ‘mainstream’ opening will be, aren’t they (openings) just a means to get your bits out and start playing chess?

:?

Phil Neatherway

Post by Phil Neatherway » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:33 pm

Regarding Short's loss to Karjakin, the Corus bulletin says this:-
The 500-euro prize for the best game of the round was awarded to Sergei Karjakin, born and bred in the Ukraine but now playing under the banner of the Russian Federation. He played white from a Ruy Lopez against Nigel Short, who followed the line that had secured him a draw against tournament-leader Shirov two rounds earlier. Sacrificing a queen for two rooks, Short had another half point for the taking at his 35th but apparently felt he could to win and avoided a draw by repetition. Wrong decision; he lost 26 moves later.
can anyone enlighten me as to the possible draw by repetition?

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:47 pm

Phil Neatherway wrote:Regarding Short's loss to Karjakin, the Corus bulletin says this:-
The 500-euro prize for the best game of the round was awarded to Sergei Karjakin, born and bred in the Ukraine but now playing under the banner of the Russian Federation. He played white from a Ruy Lopez against Nigel Short, who followed the line that had secured him a draw against tournament-leader Shirov two rounds earlier. Sacrificing a queen for two rooks, Short had another half point for the taking at his 35th but apparently felt he could to win and avoided a draw by repetition. Wrong decision; he lost 26 moves later.
can anyone enlighten me as to the possible draw by repetition?
That one had me stumped, too, as I could see forced draws for Karjakin, not for Short. I will have to study in detail!

Regards,
Paul McKeown

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:02 pm

Phil Neatherway wrote:can anyone enlighten me as to the possible draw by repetition?
Short could have played 35 ... R1e2 which leaves Karjakin with nothing better than 36.Bxe2 fxe2 37.Nf6+ gxf6 38.Qxh6 cxd4 39.Qg6+ and perpetual check.

Ben Purton

Post by Ben Purton » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:33 pm

Why would I mean aagaard , scotland and england are seperate chess teams.
I love sleep, I need 8 hours a day and about 10 at night - Bill Hicks
I would die happy if I beat Wood Green in the Eastman Cup final - Richmond LL captain.
Hating the Yankees since 2002. Hating the Jets since 2001.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:09 pm

Ben Purton wrote:Why would I mean aagaard , scotland and england are seperate chess teams.
Because you said "Scottish", and I misread your post. :oops:

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:14 pm

Ben,

Your whole approach - England for the English - seems to me a pursuit of mediocrity. Anyone resident in England for a sensible period, or born in England, or with some other demonstrable connection with England, who is better than the existing "English" players should play for England - and the rank and file should be delighted by the improvement.

I'm sure you will disagree, but hey!

Regards,
Paul McKeown.

Ben Purton

Post by Ben Purton » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:41 pm

A proper connection yes. Not just any randomer.
I love sleep, I need 8 hours a day and about 10 at night - Bill Hicks
I would die happy if I beat Wood Green in the Eastman Cup final - Richmond LL captain.
Hating the Yankees since 2002. Hating the Jets since 2001.

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:11 pm

Has Carlsen just lost on time? I have 0:00 here, although it gives Kramnik to move... Does that mean Carlsen has 1 minute left, or does it means times up, fellow, points at face of clock?

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:13 pm

It's just gone back up to 0:01, but doesn't matter Carlsen resigns. Impressive play by Vlad.

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:34 pm

Can anyone explain that game Bok - Kuipers to me, please?

At first sight it just seemed to be complete garbage by White, some random sacrifice or oversight - that after wasting time in the opening and then weakening the White squares around his king. Then, however, he went on to chase the Black king all over the place and eventually won. Don't understand that at all it just looked like shocking crap.

I presume now that it's actually some sort of theory. Just hope I never see it in practice - man that was ugly!

Can anyone help me here with that one?

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:07 pm

Wow, just wow. Not *only* beating Carlsen, but that's the first time Kramnik has won more than once with Black in a "classical" event since when...........??
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)