Is Chess shortening your life?

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Keith Arkell

Re: Is Chess shortening your life?

Post by Keith Arkell » Mon Dec 18, 2023 3:00 pm

John Clarke wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 9:46 pm
I can't remember where now, but did once read something to the effect that IMs and GMs tended to die at younger ages on average ("in their forties and fifties") than the general population. It wasn't based on any kind of scientific study, though, and attributed the depressing statistic to mental health issues as much as physical ones.
I get the impression that it is largely Russian IMs and GMs who have, sadly, died in their 40s and 50s. My thoughts are also not based on any kind of statistical study, but I get the impression that titled players live longer than the average, possibly because of the positive effects of indulging in a mentally stimulating and creative activity.

i think the myth of strong players having 'mental health issues' stems from the Bobby Fischer tragedy: he was very strong, and mad, so therefore madness is a tendency of lots of very strong players. I think that in general the very strongest players are a very mentally healthy bunch of people; albeit Kramnik seems to be wobbling a bit of late!

David Gilbert

Post by David Gilbert » Tue Dec 19, 2023 2:35 pm

Roland Kensdale wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 6:09 pm
There have been many warnings that sitting especially, and lack of exercise are bad for us. Studying and playing Chess are almost invariably sedentary activities.
Whoa! While that statement might sound right, and it’s the obvious conclusion that most people will draw, associating sitting with increased mortality may not be supported by the evidence. The Whitehall 2 Study is the biggest longitudinal study in the world (running for 40 years) and feeds-in data to hundreds of other research projects. Looking at data for coming on for 16 years it found that “Sitting time was not associated with all-cause mortality risk. The results of this study suggest that policy makers and clinicians should be cautious about placing emphasis on sitting behaviour as a risk factor for mortality that is distinct from the effect of physical activity.”

Roland Kensdale

Post by Roland Kensdale » Wed Dec 20, 2023 1:09 am

David Gilbert wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 2:35 pm
Roland Kensdale wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 6:09 pm
There have been many warnings that sitting especially, and lack of exercise are bad for us. Studying and playing Chess are almost invariably sedentary activities.
Whoa! While that statement might sound right, and it’s the obvious conclusion that most people will draw, associating sitting with increased mortality may not be supported by the evidence. The Whitehall 2 Study is the biggest longitudinal study in the world (running for 40 years) and feeds-in data to hundreds of other research projects. Looking at data for coming on for 16 years it found that “Sitting time was not associated with all-cause mortality risk. The results of this study suggest that policy makers and clinicians should be cautious about placing emphasis on sitting behaviour as a risk factor for mortality that is distinct from the effect of physical activity.”
David, I have a strong suspicion you have a statistical background and my knowledge of this is limited to the many returns google provides. I will just add from the BMJ:

Spending too much time sitting down linked to around 70,000 deaths per year in the UK

( https://www.bmj.com/company/newsroom/sp ... in-the-uk/ ). I believe a causal link has not been established.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Mon Dec 25, 2023 3:01 pm

Writing from Tenerife; I am still alive at 84 after 70 years as a chess administrator and 73 as a player. BUT I did have a heart attack and later a stroke in 2002. One matter. One tends to stoop more, as a player or using a computer or playing bridge and should take some exercise for that problem. Poker is a bi different, but sadly I have retired from that.