English Senior Championships

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Roger de Coverly

English Senior Championships

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:55 pm

These start on Monday 18th January.

Are there any sightings of a website, entry list or pre-event publicity?

David Pardoe

Re: English Senior Championships

Post by David Pardoe » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:05 pm

A pertinant comment Roger...... here`s about the only publicity I`ve seen about this excellent event, from the ECF Calander...
http://www.manchesterchessfederation.co.uk/page23.html

But I`ve seen entry forms at various congresses......
And I`ve sent out a recent reminder to a number of players in the north west.....not sure how many players are ECF registered?
Nor whether being registered locally to play in Manchester leagues qualifies....although all games are ECF rated. I`m not registered through any MO...... so I for one, probably am not eligable....
I think that upping the late entry fee to £10 after TONIGHT is plain daft....
In short, this looks like a typically `moderately` promoted congress event, where entry conditions are a tad OTT, I think.
I can only assume that either this event has already generated sufficient numbers that the organisors dont feel the need for additional promotion......or maybe Neil is struggling with other matters...?
But such an event should be clearly and prominantly advertized on all the major northern websites (in the News sections.)_...ie, Staffordshire, Nottinghamshire, Derbyshire, Stockport League, Manchester, Cheshire, Merseyside, Yorkshire/Sheffield league.., & Shropshire....as a minimum requirement....in my opinion.....AND on the MCCU + SCCU sites.
I know Neil is a keen chess enthusiast, and prominant organisor of chess in Nottinghamshire & the MCCU for many years...& hopefully being well supported.
With the whether of late, I guess that cant have helped preparations...but I assume that its not going to be hindered by bad weather, now that the thaw has started to set in.
It might be interesting to know how recent congress events have fared, with the weather being so tricky.
Hopefully this event will prove to be well supported, and we will get some progress updates from this during next week.

This is Neils contact email, if anyone wants more information..... [email protected] Tel 01623 483731
Talking of forthcoming northern events...two that are prominant & worthy of support are the Stockport Rapidplay, on Sunday 5th Feb.....and the Frodsham w/e congress on w/e 12th Feb....see ECF Calander for more details of these.
BRING BACK THE BCF

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:25 am

David Pardoe wrote:A pertinant comment Roger...... here`s about the only publicity I`ve seen about this excellent event, from the ECF Calander...
It's on the ECF calendar and I know about it because a member of my local club is playing. I was hoping to follow his progress and maybe offer the odd bit of advice :)

Ben Purton

Post by Ben Purton » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:27 am

good luck in the British Senior championship roger.............

Hopefully your preparation V the Sambuca Sharks However, is a disater...]
I love sleep, I need 8 hours a day and about 10 at night - Bill Hicks
I would die happy if I beat Wood Green in the Eastman Cup final - Richmond LL captain.
Hating the Yankees since 2002. Hating the Jets since 2001.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:44 am

Ben Purton wrote:good luck in the British Senior championship roger.............
I'm not eligible - at least not yet :)
Ben Purton wrote:Hopefully your preparation V the Sambuca Sharks However, is a disater...]
Wessex have two teams though.

Ben Purton

Post by Ben Purton » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:20 am

The Sambuca Sharks firmly believe that of the Sambuca Sharks rejects in Wessex, you are by far the strongest, those Ugandan lads use to play for us, I was hoping ofr a Saturday pairing V yopu so they can get "stuck in traffic"

Ben
I love sleep, I need 8 hours a day and about 10 at night - Bill Hicks
I would die happy if I beat Wood Green in the Eastman Cup final - Richmond LL captain.
Hating the Yankees since 2002. Hating the Jets since 2001.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:37 pm

Roger de Coverly (Jan 15th 2010) wrote:These start on Monday 18th January.
Last year the event took place with minimal publicity. This year I assume it didn't take place at all (or not in a January slot).

Ken Norman

Post by Ken Norman » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:34 am

I see that Roger de Coverley has not received a reply regarding the disappearance of the English Seniors Championship.

Perhaps Andrew Farthing would like to explain why the ECF took the decision to discontinue this very popular tournament.

Adam Raoof

Post by Adam Raoof » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:24 pm

The English Seniors Championships have taken place for the last three years;

January 2008 - 37 players
January 2009 - 40 players
January 2010 - 20 players

All organised by Neil Graham, at the Izaak Walton Hotel, Dovedale.

I don't know what happened this year, but I can confirm that no decision was taken to discontinue the event.
Adam Raoof IA, IO
Chess England Events - https://chessengland.com/
The Chess Circuit - https://chesscircuit.substack.com/
Don’t stop playing chess!

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:59 pm

Ken Norman wrote:Perhaps Andrew Farthing would like to explain why the ECF took the decision to discontinue this very popular [English Seniors Championship]
I don't know how the event was funded but
Adam Raoof wrote:The English Seniors Championships have taken place for the last three years;

half the players played in 2010 compared to 2009. Not sure what this says about the popularity of the event, but is likley to adversely affect it's viability.

If it's of any use, I would be happy to run this event alongside one of my planned future events. This would remove the necessity to hire a separate venue

Brendan O'Gorman

Post by Brendan O'Gorman » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:21 pm

Sean Hewitt wrote:[...

If it's of any use, I would be happy to run this event alongside one of my planned future events. This would remove the necessity to hire a separate venue
Or even give seniors free entry to e2-e4 events? :wink:

Richard James

Post by Richard James » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:25 pm

Sean Hewitt wrote:
Adam Raoof wrote:The English Seniors Championships have taken place for the last three years;

half the players played in 2010 compared to 2009. Not sure what this says about the popularity of the event, but is likley to adversely affect it's viability.
Ken will no doubt correct me if I'm wrong but I think this was due to a combination of adverse weather conditions and a relatively inaccessible venue.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:32 pm

Richard James wrote:Ken will no doubt correct me if I'm wrong but I think this was due to a combination of adverse weather conditions and a relatively inaccessible venue.
I don't imagine the lack of publicity was helpful either. e2e4, the British Championships and other events put up a list of entries on a website. It is supposed to be a national event, not a local one.

Paul Habershon

Post by Paul Habershon » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:18 pm

Yes, I was disappointed that nothing happened this year. Andrew Whiteley won £1000 first prize in 2008. Even in 2010 there was a guaranteed prize of £800, reportedly all or partially from a 'secret source', for Oliver Jackson despite there being a low entry through little publicity and threatening weather. There were good reduced accommodation rates at the venue, the Izaak Walton Hotel in Dovedale, but I would not be surprised if the hotel were none too happy with reduced returns from a low entry. The established November Seniors Tournament in Exmouth may be a possibility for a resurrection of the English Seniors Championship, but it is hardly a central venue. However, there is still enough of 2011 left to keep the Championship going without a break in continuity.

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:21 pm

Brendan O'Gorman wrote:
Sean Hewitt wrote:[...

Or even give seniors free entry to e2-e4 events? :wink:
Now that probably would run foul of age discrimination legislation. Seniors are hardly a minority, are they? :D