Banking issues

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Roger Lancaster

Banking issues

Post by Roger Lancaster » Wed Jan 03, 2024 4:19 pm

Several chess clubs and organisations are known to have been affected by summary actions from banks - extending, at the upper end, to closing their bank accounts. This isn't unique to chess clubs. Other organisations such as charities have been similarly affected and there's a piece in The Guardian from 9 December (https://www.theguardian.com/money/2023/ ... k-accounts) dealing with the matter. Barclays are singled out - correctly, from what I'm aware - as the main offenders although other banks aren't all blameless.

However, the effect on chess clubs - if they cannot bank deposits or pay bills due to their accounts being closed - can be serious and very possibly terminal. I have excellent reason to believe the ECF are taking an active interest in this at a high level. If your club or association is affected, please feel free to contact me with brief details and, if you're agreeable, I'll pass these on. PM me if that's most convenient or use my email address [email protected].

Roger Lancaster

Re: Banking issues

Post by Roger Lancaster » Wed Jan 03, 2024 4:41 pm

Roger Lancaster wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 4:19 pm
Several chess clubs and organisations are known to have been affected by summary actions from banks - extending, at the upper end, to closing their bank accounts. This isn't unique to chess clubs. Other organisations such as charities have been similarly affected and there's a piece in The Guardian from 9 December (https://www.theguardian.com/money/2023/ ... k-accounts) dealing with the matter. Barclays are singled out - correctly, from what I'm aware - as the main offenders although other banks aren't all blameless.

However, the effect on chess clubs - if they cannot bank deposits or pay bills due to their accounts being closed - can be serious and very possibly terminal. I have excellent reason to believe the ECF are taking an active interest in this at a high level. If your club or association is affected, please feel free to contact me with brief details and, if you're agreeable, I'll pass these on. PM me if that's most convenient or use my email address [email protected].
Better still, email details to [email protected].