Clock Bangers

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Joey Stewart

Clock Bangers

Post by Joey Stewart » Thu Feb 22, 2024 4:55 pm

I'm sure we all know that one (or even multiple) player who likes to treat chess clocks like punching bags at the gym, often with no real time pressure forcing their hand.

I wondered though, would a captain or tournament organiser be right to eject them from the game (after a polite warning, of course) and if so would they be backed up on their decision by the ECF or fide if the player complained?
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.

Ian Thompson

Re: Clock Bangers

Post by Ian Thompson » Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:33 pm

Joey Stewart wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2024 4:55 pm
I wondered though, would a captain or tournament organiser be right to eject them from the game
The arbiter has the right to do that:

"6.2.4 - The players must handle the chessclock properly. It is forbidden to press it forcibly, to pick it up, to press the clock before moving or to knock it over. Improper clock handling shall be penalised in accordance with Article 12.9."

However, on the one occasion I did report repeated, excessive, bashing of the clock to an arbiter he refused to even look at what was happening.

Stephen Westmoreland

Post by Stephen Westmoreland » Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:34 pm

I have been known to growl at kids and adults who do that, reminding them of the cost and that I would bill them.
HDCA President

Alex McFarlane

Post by Alex McFarlane » Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:00 pm

I've certainly warned players about clock bashing. I may even have penalised one with a time penalty. I've also had players complain about their opponent in this regard but I have felt that action was not needed. I've certainly also had a number of 'borderline cases' where I've had a word with the player before the next round. Not all arbiter actions are visible to the opponent!!

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:46 am

I introduce many children into using DGT 2010s and am very careful to get them using the timers with respect.

Most of the timer abusers are new to using them and see the timer as their opponent rather than their actual opponent.

I give them the choice of pressing it gently or forfeiting the game and informing their parents.

One line that I use that resonates with them is:

"Does abusing the timer make your moves stronger?"
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Derek Sinclair

Post by Derek Sinclair » Mon Feb 26, 2024 2:32 pm

I prefer the mechanical clocks to digital.

had a situation last game where i forgot to press my clock and the counter is of course set at 34 moves (adds the time after 34 presses). Lucky didn't need the time control but if it had went to the wire then it would have been impossible to know.

Not possible to change the way it's done as this is the feature of the league and every clock is done that way in every single game. (34 moves in 1h:25 mins then 20 mins added, or 34 moves in 1h:10 mins then 15 mins added)

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Feb 26, 2024 3:41 pm

Derek Sinclair wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 2:32 pm
Not possible to change the way it's done as this is the feature of the league and every clock is done that way in every single game. (34 moves in 1h:25 mins then 20 mins added, or 34 moves in 1h:10 mins then 15 mins added)

I suppose it depends on the clock, but it can be hard work setting the clock to get the extra time added at the precise move count as measured by clock presses. Usually they are set to add the extra time after 85 or 70 minutes has elapsed. That gives a misleading flag fall when players can be well into the play to a finish part of the game. Particularly when it's only 15 minutes added, players can miss the addition and think there's more time to add.

Many English leagues with an adequate supply of digital clocks have switched to the simpler x minutes for all moves with an increment, usually 10 or 15 seconds.

Reg Clucas

Post by Reg Clucas » Mon Feb 26, 2024 4:40 pm

Derek Sinclair wrote:
Not possible to change the way it's done as this is the feature of the league
It is possible to change it - put a proposal to your league's AGM to use an increment system as described by Roger.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:25 pm

Derek Sinclair wrote:

had a situation last game where i forgot to press my clock and the counter is of course set at 34 moves (adds the time after 34 presses). Lucky didn't need the time control but if it had went to the wire then it would have been impossible to know.

Which league is that?
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Jon Mahony

Post by Jon Mahony » Tue Feb 27, 2024 7:11 am

Junior players who do this need telling in no uncertain terms, adult players who do this need ejecting in no uncertain terms – along with “piece screwing” it is the height of bad manners.
"When you see a good move, look for a better one!" - Lasker

Derek Sinclair

Post by Derek Sinclair » Tue Feb 27, 2024 2:40 pm

Mick Norris wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:25 pm
Derek Sinclair wrote:

Which league is that?
Edinburgh and Lothian.

Derek Sinclair

Post by Derek Sinclair » Tue Feb 27, 2024 2:44 pm

Reg Clucas wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 4:40 pm
Derek Sinclair wrote:
It is possible to change it - put a proposal to your league's AGM to use an increment system as described by Roger.
i'm afraid not. Everyone is set in their ways. There are some games that use the mechanical clocks but most are digital.

I often wonder what would happen if the battery runs out or runs low during a game :D I guess that means we get infinite time!

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Tue Feb 27, 2024 2:57 pm

Derek Sinclair wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 2:44 pm
Reg Clucas wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 4:40 pm
Derek Sinclair wrote:
i'm afraid not. Everyone is set in their ways. There are some games that use the mechanical clocks but most are digital.

I often wonder what would happen if the battery runs out or runs low during a game :D I guess that means we get infinite time!
You would replace the clock with a working clock, and use your best estimates as to the time each player has left. (If either player has been writing down the clock times, this should be straightforward; otherwise, it's a judgement call.)

Alex McFarlane

Post by Alex McFarlane » Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:28 pm

The low battery light is designed to give several hours warning. If it comes on before the game then replace either the clock or the batteries but if it comes on during the game there is no need to do anything but note that the batteries will need to be changed before using again.

Derek Sinclair

Post by Derek Sinclair » Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:15 pm

Thanks. Still a lot of faffing around when not really required, since we're not using increments and the room is now deadly silent instead of the ticking of 6 clocks which was kinda part of the game. Also now we have to have packs of batteries on hand now do we?

The mechanical ones were perfection and the worst that could happen was it needing would up if something went wrong, or fetch a new clock. Least the dead clock would have the correct reading of time spent on it.