The Best Game of Chess played by an English Player

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Geoff Chandler

Re: The Best Game of Chess played by an English Player

Post by Geoff Chandler » Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:31 am

I do no think we need to show the full game. Just the details of the top 10 -15 games chosen by someone who cannot then vote.
First we have to vote on who compiles the list of 10-15 games. :?

Or wait till my copy of the book arrives, I'm quite willing to list every game and then everyone can dive in. (there are bound to be complaints that a voters particular favourite game has not been included in the book.)

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Feb 26, 2024 12:33 pm

Geoff Chandler wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:31 am
Or wait till my copy of the book arrives, I'm quite willing to list every game and then everyone can dive in.
The Amazon sample pages contain the index.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Memorable-Game ... =4&depth=1

The selection is of memorable British games, which will be wider than best games by an English player.

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Mon Feb 26, 2024 4:16 pm

Thanks Roger,

Saved me typing it in. Need a new thread. I'll kick it off.

Jon D'Souza-Eva

Post by Jon D'Souza-Eva » Mon Feb 26, 2024 10:32 pm

Number 68 - Plaskett beating Miles with Black is astonishing! I'm surprised I haven't seen it before.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Tue Feb 27, 2024 2:12 pm

Jonathan Rogers wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2024 9:41 pm
Matt Mackenzie wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2024 8:06 pm
There is also a lovely win by Miles over Andersson with the White pieces - a positional crush that Ulf himself would have been proud of.
And Miles v Belyavsky 1984, with the shattering 16 f4 TN
Which was and remains the only theoretical novelty to ever get a perfect score (all 10/10s) from the Chess Informant jury.

Though this is one of the games mentioned in this thread not making the 90 in the book that started this conversation off.

(Ivanchuk v Adams is, surprisingly, another)
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:16 pm

Jonathan Rogers wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2024 9:41 pm
And Miles v Belyavsky 1984, with the shattering 16 f4 TN
I wondered why I could not find this game. It's actually 1986.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:19 pm

Matt Mackenzie wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 2:12 pm
Which was and remains the only theoretical novelty to ever get a perfect score (all 10/10s) from the Chess Informant jury.
One of whom was Miles. There was no reason for him to be modest, so he wasn't!
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Neil_Hickman

Post by Neil_Hickman » Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:44 pm

Thank you all for the kind remarks about my book. As I acknowledge at the start of the book, the selection is inevitably arbitrary, and there are several games which I've looked at since the book came out that I'd wish to include if I were compiling the book now. There was a measure of time pressure; the first draft of the book was a present for a dear clubmate at Wymondham who was terminally ill. I've made good some of the omissions in articles in CHESS.
I took a pretty broad view of what counted as "British" which allowed me to include Labourdonnais-Macdonnell, Zukertort-Blackburne and Sultan Khan-Capablanca.
If you are looking at "English" rather than "British" I think you may have to leave out Conel Hugh O'Donel Alexander.
Thank you Nick Faulks for a very neat summary of the Tony Miles we both remember - "There was no reason for him to be modest, so he wasn't!" But he was still a lovely person and his premature death was a sad loss.

Andrew Smith

Post by Andrew Smith » Thu Feb 29, 2024 6:07 pm

Hi Everyone,
I instigated this subject during a lazy day on holiday in Marrakech. Its evolved quite nicely and many thanks to Mr de Souza for his efforts in making all games from Neil Hickman's book available to everyone. We have probably got all the votes we will get. If we stop here and now, with singular votes, I think Short wins. But my idea was a top 10. I agree that we need to take the context of the games and strength of opponents into acount. I have selected 10 games based on comments and votes received and games i like !
My vote is :

1. Sultan Kann v Capablanca (30)
2. Penrose v Tal (46)
3. Yates v Alekhine (24)
4. Nunn v Beliavsky (67)
5. Short v Timman (72)
6. Miles v Spassky (61)
7. Keene v Kovacevic (52)
8. Steanv Browne (54)
9. Miles v Karpov (64)
10. Pratten v Maczynski

Does anyone else want to put these games in order ?

Neil_Hickman

Post by Neil_Hickman » Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:34 pm

Andrew Smith wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 6:07 pm

1. Sultan Kann v Capablanca (30)
2. Penrose v Tal (46)
3. Yates v Alekhine (24)
4. Nunn v Beliavsky (67)
5. Short v Timman (72)
6. Miles v Spassky (61)
7. Keene v Kovacevic (52)
8. Steanv Browne (54)
9. Miles v Karpov (64)
10. Pratten v Maczynski

Does anyone else want to put these games in order ?
1. Alekhine v Yates, where Black had one of his "best -player-on-the-planet-for-the-next-six-hours" days;
2. Beliavsky v Nunn, about which the winner understandably wrote that "if you play a game such as this, thinking of it will give you a warm glow for at least the next 25 years;
3. Penrose v Tal. The only game the Soviets lost in that Olympiad, and getting a standing ovation from the assembled experts;
4. Miles v Spassky, a very accurate sustained attack against one of the strongest players in the world, which won a brilliancy prize and showed once again how wrong B. H. Wood was when he wrote that "it's when you have champions up against rabbits that you get the brilliancies";
5. Karpov v Miles. Any game that irritated Karpov so much deserves a high ranking;
6. Keene v Kovacevic. A lovely reminder that before he took to writing pot-boilers, Ray Keene was actually a very fine player indeed;
7. Stean v Browne. Out-combining Walter Browne took some doing, even if there may have been a hole in it;
8. Short v Timman. It's spectacular but I can understand why Short is fed up with only being remembered for it;
9. Maczynski v Pratten. Incomparably beautiful finish, but, as others have said, less than top-rank opposition and with a whacking hole in it;
Disqualified: Sultan Khan v Capablanca. I had the excuse for including him that he was a citizen of British India and that he played for the British team at the Olympiad; but English he ain't. Damn fine game, though.