accepting gambits

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Jonathan Rogers

Re: accepting gambits

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Sat Mar 09, 2024 3:13 pm

"Whether this is a gambit or an opening line is something of a question. The latter is perhaps more accurate, but credit to anyone who can articulate the distinction .."

I didn't express that very well: obviously gambits are subsets of opening lines rather than to be distinguished from them. I'll try again: is every opening line where one player sacrifices material with no intention or expectation of regaining it so afterwards necessarily a gambit? If not, what are the other options?

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Sat Mar 09, 2024 4:29 pm

The encounter in question between Timman and Smyslov was included in Jon Speelman's book featuring the best games of 1970-80.

It featured the pseudo piece sacrifice 11 Ng5!? which had famously been uncorked by Karpov against Korchnoi in the previous year's WC - ISTR an account that when he played it, the entire Soviet delegation ordered drinks to celebrate. In the event he got a big advantage but misplayed it, and in the end was lucky to get a draw after his opponent (perhaps not surprisingly) got into serious time trouble.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Sat Mar 09, 2024 5:18 pm

Still not finding the actual game. Any chance the year or other details are wrong?

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Sat Mar 09, 2024 5:21 pm

Peter Ackley

Post by Peter Ackley » Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:27 am

As Roger says (and as would be my answer to many forum questions [and not just chess forum either]) - depends.

Depends on the gambit, the opponent (who they are, what I know about their play, their strength), the match situation, the time limit etc. A quick look at my games and opening repertoire and I wouldn't say there's a trend in my play. Quickly I found:
-Queens Gambit - declined
-Kings Gambit - accepted
-Smith Morra Gambit - accepted
-Scotch Gambit - declined

I wouldn't say in any case they were the "best" choice but rather were best for me at the time.

Derek Sinclair

Post by Derek Sinclair » Tue Mar 12, 2024 12:29 pm

sometimes i have gambited my whole king