2010 GIBTELECOM CHESS FESTIVAL

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
John Hickman

Re: 2010 GIBTELECOM CHESS FESTIVAL

Post by John Hickman » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:02 am

It's great to have the commentary and masterclasses streamed live. Thanks to all involved arranging this :D

Ian Lamb

Post by Ian Lamb » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:20 am

I second that John the coverage from Gibralter been super wonder if we good get this sort of thing at the next Brit Championships? with webcams as well?

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:43 am

Ian Lamb wrote:I second that John the coverage from Gibralter been super wonder if we good get this sort of thing at the next Brit Championships? with webcams as well?
I doubt it, the ECF just don't have the cash (or the inclination...) for that sort of thing
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Alex McFarlane

Post by Alex McFarlane » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:18 am

Sorry Carl but I've got to take issue with you there. Whilst what can be done at the British is restricted by a lack of money, I can assure you that the team involved would love to be able to put on more of a show. Dave Clayton, Dave Welch, Steve Connor and myself have had several discussions on this matter. I repeat - the inclination is there but unfortunately the funding isn't.

Alex McFarlane Co-Manager

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:05 am

Alex McFarlane wrote:Sorry Carl but I've got to take issue with you there. Whilst what can be done at the British is restricted by a lack of money, I can assure you that the team involved would love to be able to put on more of a show. Dave Clayton, Dave Welch, Steve Connor and myself have had several discussions on this matter. I repeat - the inclination is there but unfortunately the funding isn't.

Alex McFarlane Co-Manager
Fair enough - since I do some of the work perhaps I should have worded it better...

However some of the things might be possible at the 2010 venue given the bandwidth that might be available?
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:53 pm

By the way, Conquest is currently joined in the commentary room by Boris Spassky.

http://www.livestream.com/gibraltarchess

Ian Lamb

Post by Ian Lamb » Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:24 pm

Boris just got himself a pint for commentary :)

Ben Purton

Post by Ben Purton » Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:23 pm

Stefanova should win from here V Bacrot.
I love sleep, I need 8 hours a day and about 10 at night - Bill Hicks
I would die happy if I beat Wood Green in the Eastman Cup final - Richmond LL captain.
Hating the Yankees since 2002. Hating the Jets since 2001.

John Saunders

Post by John Saunders » Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:00 am

Hi guys - hope you are enjoying the video streaming from the Gibtelecom tournament. The really excellent thing, highlighted by John Hickman above, is that the commentary videos are stored and can be watched at your leisure. GM Stuart Conquest is putting on a great show and he often brings notable players and spectators alongside him to chat about the games, or life, the universe and everything. This is like BBC's Iplayer - "making the unmissable unmissable".

The highlight so far was when Boris Spassky came into the audience to watch some play. With his customary charm, Stuart invited Boris to come alongside "for a few minutes". This turned into nearly three hours! It's great stuff, with plenty of wonderful quotes and humorous comments from the great man (with his little catchphrase of "chookie" for "check"!). Go to the website home page ...

http://www.gibraltarchesscongress.com/g ... index.html

... and follow the links.

We are due to have another chess superstar visit the Caleta Hotel in the next few days ... but I can't tell you who it is yet (sorry). Also, it is perfectly possible that Boris will pop into the commentary room again as he is staying for the whole of the tournament. Maybe we'll have two chess superstars talking together (fingers crossed).

Incidentally, it is Boris Spassky's 73rd birthday today.

The tournament also has a Facebook page - http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=314854929898
Personal Twitter @johnchess
Britbase https://www.britbase.info
(I prefer email to PM - contact me via this link - https://www.saund.org.uk/email.html)

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:21 am

All very good. But how are the reports for the rounds going? Something must have happened in rounds one or two surely? :?

John Saunders

Post by John Saunders » Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:45 am

Yes, sorry. Bit of a backlog at the moment as the first two days were somewhat fraught. I'm trying to catch up with myself.
Personal Twitter @johnchess
Britbase https://www.britbase.info
(I prefer email to PM - contact me via this link - https://www.saund.org.uk/email.html)

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:29 pm

No apology necessary. No one "owes" me a report! But I am looking forward as ever to reading them.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:51 pm

Has Adams not lost the plot today and is losing horribly?
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:09 pm

Carl Hibbard wrote:Has Adams not lost the plot today and is losing horribly?
I think he's got a clear advantage, but I'm not sure if it's a winning one.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:21 pm

IM Jack Rudd wrote:I think he's got a clear advantage, but I'm not sure if it's a winning one.
It does look better now the b7 pawn has gone I have to agree, the Bxh6 idea never seemed to be heading anywhere and was perhaps even a little excessive?
Cheers
Carl Hibbard