Page 1 of 1
time limit in counties championships
Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:00 pm
by Chris Majer
I would be interested to know whether teams in the counties championships would like the option (by mutual agreement of captains) for teams to play two matches on the day (i.e. play a faster time limit and thus be able to play a second game with colours reversed)?
Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:30 am
by Nigel Wright
Depends on the new time limit - if someone finishes their first game early, how long would they have to be hanging around before they could start the next game? Because if people start return matches before everyone has finished the first game, it's going to disturb any ongoing matches.
I like the idea of more games, but I think many people may have a problem with (it may sound like it, but I haven't got any beef with the proposal!).
Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:40 pm
by Greg Breed
I like it but you can bet your bottom dollar that the idea won't get through.
Newer, younger players enjoy faster games and are generally better able to handle faster time limits than older players, but usually form a minority of the team selections.
Most of the players like the time to think through their games and would object to a time scramble. In any case, county matches often involve people car sharing to get to away (and even home) fixtures.
What sort of time limit would it be to have 2 games in one sitting?
60 minutes each? That's bordering on rapid-play isn't it?
Any longer and you're in for a 6-8 hour session! Not fun if you have a 2 hour journey after!!
Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:12 pm
by Mick Norris
One of the attractions of county chess is the longer time limits - however, we have some players who won't give up a day to only play one game
I once drove 2.5 hours to a match, played for 4 hours, and drove 2.5 hours back - I wouldn't welcome the idea of spending another 4 hours playing a second game!
Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:15 pm
by Greg Breed
Mick Norris wrote:One of the attractions of county chess is the longer time limits - however, we have some players who won't give up a day to only play one game.
They should stick to rapid-play events then!

Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:02 am
by Mick Norris
Greg Breed wrote:Mick Norris wrote:One of the attractions of county chess is the longer time limits - however, we have some players who won't give up a day to only play one game.
They should stick to rapid-play events then!

I think they also play weekend congresses where they get 2 or 3 longplay games in a day
I think it is good there is a choice (county, 4NCL, Yorkshire league, weekend congresses, Rapidplays, evening chess)
Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:16 pm
by Chris Majer
ECF Council weren't interested in progressing the suggestion of two faster games in a day. So for the time being at least the status quo remains.
Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:28 am
by Stewart Reuben
In case this idea ever arises again, after all it is only offering an option:
The 2 games should be played against the same opponent with colours reversed. If that was the intention, it was not stated.
The venue must be suitably large for there not to be too great a disturbance of games finishing at a different time.
Stewart Reuben
Re: time limit in counties championships
Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:01 am
by Charles W. Wood
Chris Majer wrote:I would be interested to know whether teams in the counties championships would like the option (by mutual agreement of captains) for teams to play two matches on the day (i.e. play a faster time limit and thus be able to play a second game with colours reversed)?
I don't like the idea, but I don't play much County Chess as it starts too late for me, if kick off was earlier I'd play more, but getting home for 8pm to 9 pm on Saturdays and Sunday is a no goer. I like the thinking though.