Blackpool congress 2010

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Sean Hewitt

Re: Blackpool congress 2010

Post by Sean Hewitt » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:52 pm

well, it's not fide rated for a start. that will put a number of people off.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:15 pm

Having said that, quite a lot of stronger players tend to enter late from what I recall.........

(says he, yet to post his entry off! :wink: )
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:38 am

Ernie Lazenby wrote:The admin team/arbiters did a fantastic job and deserve our congratulations.
Thanks also go to Dave Clayton for a perfect live broadcast, good work there :)
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:07 pm

Would like to endorse the positive things said about the congress, venue etc........

Just one small thing - prize giving at the end was done away with this year (posted them off instead) and apparently this is going to remain the policy.

Wouldn't it though be possible to just have a small closing announcement?
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Justin Hadi

Post by Justin Hadi » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:12 pm

I agree with the above posters. Dave Welch and the team of arbiters did an excellent job with no big disputes in the whole tournament IIRC. Quite rare in my experience.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:05 pm

Justin Hadi wrote:I agree with the above posters. Dave Welch and the team of arbiters did an excellent job with no big disputes in the whole tournament IIRC. Quite rare in my experience.
That's true - as you know there was a minor incident early on in our game but he sorted it with a minimum of fuss :)

Oh and BTW - I have Fritzed the final position and after 36. ab5 (there is nothing better) Bb5, it gives black a decisive advantage; about one and a half pawns. I said at the time I thought your draw offer was a tad generous :D

Justin Hadi

Post by Justin Hadi » Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:24 pm

Bummer. I really should book up on my endings. I was planning on playing ab after ab5 because I couldn't see anything better.

Justin Hadi

Post by Justin Hadi » Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:47 pm

But I am reminded of this quote - My first chess trainer ... was of the opinion that you only had a winning position if you knew how to win it. If it required Karpov-like technique, the position was winning for Karpov, but only advantageous for me.

Anthony Taglione

Post by Anthony Taglione » Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:55 pm

I tend to think that a player is doing the right thing when he offers a draw, whatever analysis later reveals.

Good, point, Justin. Tal might be a queen down with a mating attack but most people would be just a queen down.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:04 pm

All fair comment - I have done the same myself in the past, don't worry Justin :wink:

(though lately, more of a problem has been my turning down draws and going on to lose! :oops: )

NeilJerzynek

Post by NeilJerzynek » Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:39 pm

it had to leave it's 2nd last venue (last year was at football ground which didn't work)
There were at least 2 above 200 (gm's) hebden and stewart hestlinger (can't remember exactly what his second name is)

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:49 pm

NeilJerzynek wrote: stewart hestlinger (can't remember exactly what his second name is)
Haslinger :)

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:08 pm

NeilJerzynek wrote:it had to leave it's 2nd last venue (last year was at football ground which didn't work)
I didn't think it was a bad venue myself - what was the problem with it??