BUCA Championships

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
E Michael White

Re: BUCA Championships

Post by E Michael White » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:25 am

Alex - do you know these techniques to help you approach Ruddspeed factor 1 for inputting games ?
  • While inputting set Fritz in infinite analysis mode as stand alone or within Chessbase.
    Keep your left hand over the space bar and work the mouse with your right hand.
    If the move you need to input is at the top of the list in the Fritz analysis window, press space as this automatically inputs that move.
Using the above in Jones v Smeet 2009 for example, only requires 16 half moves to be input out of a 30 move game so you have about 25 % to do yourself.

If you have a serious number of games to input set up a database key of 10-15 common opening sequences for the first 6 moves. Then a visual check of the scoresheet allows you to select a game already input to use as a startpoint.
Last edited by E Michael White on Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:43 am

That's actually a good way of doing it!

Problem is, in some of these BUCA games, people like me are playing, so I doubt there'll be a 75% Fritz success rate!

The other problem I have is that I get distracted by IA mode, upon seeing a bad move, I start looking through what Fritz suggests, rather than concentrate on the task at hand of putting the games in. Hence the gathering of friends to do it; there are other people to tell me off when I get distracted!

Phil Makepeace

Post by Phil Makepeace » Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:38 pm

Phil Makepeace wrote:I imagine some of you will be surprised I'm discrediting a member of my team - indeed, my captain and the President of the society - but I had no interest in playing for him following the incident.
Despite unconstitutional and generally appalling blocking of the other candidates on the part of the incumbent, I'm pleased to say that UCL have a new President for 2010/11 who I'll be very happy to play for. He was our first team's board 4 at BUCA.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:43 pm

If you could forward me his contact details, it would be appreciated. I doubt whether anyone will bother to notify me otherwise.

Eoin Devane

Post by Eoin Devane » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:04 am

Phil Makepeace wrote:Despite unconstitutional and generally appalling blocking of the other candidates on the part of the incumbent, I'm pleased to say that UCL have a new President for 2010/11 who I'll be very happy to play for. He was our first team's board 4 at BUCA.
Excellent news! :D