Mobile phone penalties.

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.

What do you think the penalty should be for a player's mobile making a sound during a game?

Nothing
2%
A warning
2%
A warning for the first offence, and being defaulted for the second
23%
A time bonus for the opponent (as with an illegal move)
No votes
A time bonus for the opponent for the first offence, and being defaulted for the second
13%
Being defaulted
45%
Exclusion from the tournament
2%
The punishment should be left to the discretion of the arbiter
13%

Total votes: 60

Eoin Devane

Mobile phone penalties.

Post by Eoin Devane » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:03 pm

Let's resolve this one once and for all! I've listed above seven potential penalties for a mobile phone going off during a game. It will be interesting to see which type of punishment seems to be most popular.

EDIT: I tried to edit the poll to add "Arbiter's Discretion", but it sadly deleted the previous votes. Please can all 14 of you who had previously voted vote again? :(
Last edited by Eoin Devane on Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:41 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Carl Hibbard

Re: Mobile phone penalties.

Post by Carl Hibbard » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:06 pm

There you go, warning and then default is my preference
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Eoin Devane

Post by Eoin Devane » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:14 pm

I went for the time bonus and then default as I think the current rules are too draconian, but there should be some punishment to discourage people from leaving their phones on. I would probably want there to be an exemption built in that allows a player to leave his phone on with the permission of both the arbiter and his opponent, to account for the cases of doctors on-call etc.. I don't think we should drive such people away from playing the game they love.

Anthony Taglione

Post by Anthony Taglione » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:17 pm

I, also, have gone with a warning and then default.

I like the underlying assumption of the poll that one should be permitted the phone in "silent" mode.

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:21 pm

Can I vote for "it should be the organizer's decision"? A rule similar to the default time rule, with the ability for individual organizers to choose whatever penalty they felt appropriate to the event in question.

Eoin Devane

Post by Eoin Devane » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:25 pm

Yeah - it's hard to make a poll to cover such a wide range of possible opinions. Really, there should probably be a kind-of "parent poll" to this asking something like: Should phones be allowed in the venue and, if so, what mode should they be in? But hopefully anyone who thinks they should not be permitted will just vote for one of the last two options and this poll can still incorporate their views.

Eoin Devane

Post by Eoin Devane » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:29 pm

IM Jack Rudd wrote:Can I vote for "it should be the organizer's decision"? A rule similar to the default time rule, with the ability for individual organizers to choose whatever penalty they felt appropriate to the event in question.
To be honest, I prefer not having that option there, as I want to see what people's individual views on the matter are, rather than what they think the rules should say. So, if you like, imagine that this is the rule and that you are the organiser.

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:47 pm

Eoin Devane wrote:
IM Jack Rudd wrote:Can I vote for "it should be the organizer's decision"? A rule similar to the default time rule, with the ability for individual organizers to choose whatever penalty they felt appropriate to the event in question.
To be honest, I prefer not having that option there, as I want to see what people's individual views on the matter are, rather than what they think the rules should say. So, if you like, imagine that this is the rule and that you are the organiser.
OK, what sort of event am I organizing?

Eoin Devane

Post by Eoin Devane » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:54 pm

IM Jack Rudd wrote:OK, what sort of event am I organizing?
Oh no! See, I told you all (see post 6) that this one was too complicated for a single poll! We probably need a nested set of polls, each conditional on the results of the previous one. :!:

I'd say that you're organising a normal weekend congress - standard-play, ECF graded, not FIDE rated. In what circumstances would your response differ?

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:59 pm

Probably extra time to the opponent, then. A known serial offender or someone I believed to be using it to cheat, probably loss of game.

I'd probably want to be stricter for a title-norm event, and less strict for an evening league.

Eoin Devane

Post by Eoin Devane » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:05 pm

Fair enough. This is exactly the adaptability and flexibility that the current FIDE rules do not allow.:(

Alasdair Kirk

Post by Alasdair Kirk » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:48 pm

I expect to turn my phone off if going into a meeting / attending Church / going tro a concert / going to friends for dinner / etc. etc. seems logical that entering a tournament which is based on concentration that phones should be off... :) what reason would there be for a player to ever have their phone on? If they need to answer an important call - if it is that important: don't enter the competition / be prepared to lose the game / arrange for someone else to answer for you (organiser?) / etc. if the call is that important you won't mind losing / if it is not, then you won't mind turning the phone off. If you were entering a sports match e.g. football etc. do the players take their phones onto the pitch?

seems simple to me -if it rings you lose :)

Alasdair

LozCooper

Post by LozCooper » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:02 pm

Alasdair Kirk wrote:I expect to turn my phone off if going into a meeting / attending Church / going tro a concert / going to friends for dinner / etc. etc. seems logical that entering a tournament which is based on concentration that phones should be off... :) what reason would there be for a player to ever have their phone on? If they need to answer an important call - if it is that important: don't enter the competition / be prepared to lose the game / arrange for someone else to answer for you (organiser?) / etc. if the call is that important you won't mind losing / if it is not, then you won't mind turning the phone off. If you were entering a sports match e.g. football etc. do the players take their phones onto the pitch?

seems simple to me -if it rings you lose :)

Alasdair
I wonder if it's a red card offence if a footballer's phone rings when he's on the pitch. :lol:

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:03 pm

Should we be adding "Arbiter's discretion." to this?
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:20 pm

Eoin Devane wrote:Let's resolve this one once and for all!
I fear not, but I've voted anyway.

Warning then default was my choice. I'm not sure the time penalty plus default is worth the faffing around although I wouldn't particularly object to it either.