The Process of Adjudication

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Sean Hewitt

Re: The Process of Adjudication

Post by Sean Hewitt » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:08 pm

Adam Raoof wrote: No more surprised than players in international title events would be to find that their arbiters have grades 100 points below theirs ;-)
I think you are mistaken there Adam. Players in International Title Events would be surprised if the arbiter didn't have a grade more than 100 points below theirs. :lol:

Unless Jack is the arbiter of course :D
Last edited by Sean Hewitt on Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alan Walton

Post by Alan Walton » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:12 pm

As Shawn has pointed out most arbiters are significantly lower rated than the top players, but also in most "big" tournaments there is normally a selected players panel, normally from the top seeds, which will assisted if required in certain matters

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:40 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote:The rules don't say how long a maximum period of time for the first session is. Nor do they define a playing session as being equivalent to reaching the first time control. Therefore, you can never reach the end of a playing session. Therefore, you never have to take an adjournment.
Back in the days before quick play finishes, it was normal (and necessary) for the captains to agree a finishing time. Those who would sit on their hands awaiting adjudication or adjournment needed to know how much time to waste. :)

John Saunders

Post by John Saunders » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:48 pm

To answer Martin's original question (and, like him, not wanting to get too embroiled in another boring debate about the merits of this form of game-finish), I shall admit to being an adjudicator for both the Surrey League and Civil Service League from the late 1980s for about ten years or so.

I used to spend an enormous amount of time on adjudication positions. Being a bachelor for most of that time, with no 'husbandly duties' to perform, I could spare the time. I seem to recall that the positions for adjudication typically arrived on the doormat on a Friday or Saturday and it was not unusual to spend the best part of the weekend on them. I wouldn't have done that had I not enjoyed analysing chess positions (I've not played much correspondence chess but it has occurred to me that I might have been temperamentally suited to it). I used a computer to some extent (though they weren't much good until the late 1990s) but usually only to work out any tactical sequences. 99% of the time the positions were way too difficult to simply entrust to a computer (and I think that would still be true today, despite the increased strength of analysis engines). The point is that players and captains resolve all the easily-soluble positions amongst themselves without reference to an adjudicator, so the only positions you get to see are going to be very complex, or on a knife-edge as regards a resultant endgame (where an analysis engine is often of little use). Usually it was a matter of working one's way through all the plausible options and keeping a careful record of one's conclusions.

I certainly used a computer to assemble all the analysis, and would go back and check it rigorously, much in the same way, I guess, as a keen correspondence player would do with their own games. My strength at that time was around 190-200.

I'm a bit vague about how I got into being an adjudicator in the first instance, but it might have been to do with a time when I received an incorrect adjudication result from the Surrey League. I set to work to produce an appeal, spent a long time doing so and was successful in overturning the verdict. - something that nobody from my club had managed to do in my time. It is possible that the Surrey powers-that-were recruited me shortly after that. I have also acted as an appeal adjudicator and been instrumental in having a verdict of a fellow adjudicator overturned.

I think I have already retailed the story on the forum of the time when I opened an issue of CHESS to read an article by Chris Dunworth castigating the incompetence of adjudicators. He gave an example of what he thought was a bad decision and, to my horror, I recognised it as one which I myself had adjudicated. Obviously, as adjudicator, I was not told the identities of the two players, but it turned out they were Chris Dunworth and Peter Kemp. Chris had claimed a win but I had given him a loss. He wrote up his analysis in the article and of course I checked it against my own analysis of the position. He had failed to consider a much better alternative by his opponent on the first move so all his analysis was worthless! I asked Malcolm Pein for the right of reply but Peter Kemp must have done the same thing as CHESS published Peter's analysis, which completely accorded with mine and utterly refuted Chris's version. Chris, incidentally, appealed against my verdict but was not successful.

I was mightily surprised to read Matthew's comment about the ECF panel of adjudicators. I would regard all those names to be worthy of being on the panel despite their current grades. As Peter Rhodes says, their grades do not reflect their chess understanding. Once freed from the tyranny of the chess clock and the other petty irritations of practical play, I'm quite sure any or all of them are perfectly capable of giving accurate verdicts on adjudication positions.
Personal Twitter @johnchess
Britbase https://www.britbase.info
(I prefer email to PM - contact me via this link - https://www.saund.org.uk/email.html)

Martin Benjamin

Post by Martin Benjamin » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:30 pm

Matthew Turner wrote:If you search the ECF website you will see that the ECF adjudicators are listed as

Peter Clarke, Peter Gibbs, Peter Griffiths, Paul Littlewood, Ken Neat & Jonathan Penrose

Some of these are not particularly strong players, so I would imagine that they would rely fairly heavily on computer analysis.
As other contributors have pointed out, all the above have proved over the years that they are fine analysts with a deep knowledge of chess, which is not reflected in their current ECF grades (if they have one). If one has to have adjudicators, the above are worthy ones whose judgements I can respect. I would guess that most of them are retired, and are able to devote more time to adjudications than an active titled chess professional (obviously stronger over the board now) would be prepared to give for a few pounds pay.

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:45 am

I remember playing league chess with adjudications and I always felt that judgments were passed down from on high. I just assumed that adjudications were carried out by the elite players of the day. Now of course when you think about it that is very naive, but I am sure that others must think likewise. My last league match was against Steve Berry where he opted for adjudication (at the start of the game) effectively after 30 moves. So, we are not talking about an ending, we are talking about a middlegame or even just out of the opening! Would Steve be happy that our game was decided by a player 50 points below the two combatants or by somebody who hadn't played for ages? I don't know, but it doesn't seem right to me. Whenever leagues decide upon quickplay finishes or adjudications they should in my opinion publish the list of adjudicators. I am sure it would inform a few voters.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:14 am

I largely agree with John Saunders. I still do some adjudications and it is very clear that most players/captains do not look at the games after the night of the match -otherwise why send something in when it's mate in 4? I would not expect to spend more than a few hours on a position, and computers are frequently not much help where someone has exchange for a pawn, or BN for R+P. Obviously Fritz etc are useful, but you have to know how to use them, just as you would not win a strong postal chess tournament if you believed your computer unquestioningly. In a league Martin refers to, the adjudicator does not get the £7-50, the fee is to discourage people sending in positions which are mate in 4 (yes they do.) In Matthew's case, I was the previous league secretary and I had people like Steve Berry and Andrew Ledger as adjudicators, along with a couple of really strong postal players (who had lowish OTB grades, but of course vast experience of detailed analysis). And I did publish a list of adjudicators!
Someone asked why leagues have adjudication - ask the members! As far as I know, most leagues have AGMs and rule changes can be proposed...
"Kevin was the arbiter and was very patient. " Nick Grey

J T Melsom

Post by J T Melsom » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:35 pm

Not so much about process, but as a participant in one league with adjudication, I find them unappealing because they also add delay into the resolution of a match. Tonight I'm involved in what my team is treating as a relegation shootout. But the number of games submitted for adjudication and outstanding as the season draws to a close, means this is no better than well informed guesswork. Adjournment also introduces delay, but in that case the players are at least showing commitment to playing chess. In the case of some adjudications, clubs are often effectively trying to get others to do the work of salvaging a half point, or confirm a win, which they would arguably not have achieved themselves over the board. And there are some clubs for whom loss of the adjudication fee seems to act as no deterrrent. I favour quickplay finishes because it provides a result on the night, and along with prompt reporting/publishing of results allows the drama of a title race or relegation battle to be readily understood. Many football fans will know the drama of the last day of the season, there is no reason why chess competition cannot be equally dramatic.