Page 1 of 2
How many should I expect?
Posted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:21 pm
by Geoff Gibson
I'm the organiser of the Derbyshire Rapidplay on Sunday 02 December and would like the benefit of the experience of other organisers of recent events.
This is the first event I've arranged in the County for about 6 years and I've budgeted for a break even figure of about 100 players - so far, with 10 days to go, I have 40.
Although I have an encouraging number of non-local players, those in the area are still a little thin on the ground at this stage.
From other organisers' experience, when do you tend to receive the bulk of the entries? The late entry fee deadline is this Saturday (24 November) and I'm hoping for an increase in volumes over the next few days.
Do you think 100 is realistic or am I being optimistic?
Numbers
Posted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:47 am
by Gavin Strachan
Geoff,
Difficult to answer the question, but needless to say that you will get some on the door and entries will be increasingly coming through the post in the last couple of weeks. If you have 40 now and the tournament is on 2nd December you may get near your target, though conservatively I reckon 60-80. I competed on a few occasions in The Central London Rapidplay and the numbers were similar. I don't know what Derby is like for numbers and chess popularity, etc. I would compete, but it's a bit of a distance

Numbers
Posted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:42 pm
by Geoff Gibson
Gavin,
Thanks for your message.
I now have 44 (still 9 days left!) and hope everyone is waiting until the last minute to enter!
Posted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 12:30 am
by David Clayton
Geoff
Expect about 20 percent of your entries on the Monday and Tuesday after the late entry date, then 10 percent in the day.
It does depend on your late entry fee and policy.
As an organiser, I believe in high late entry fees to try and encourage people to enter early. Late entries cause you grief and extra expense, plus the possibility a player with a dubious grade may slip through the net to spoil the event for all the other players who enter in plenty of time.
Good luck.
David
Posted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:31 pm
by Carl Hibbard
I have had discussions about this in the past with various people
Would a site that offered online entry with payment via paypal or nochex for example be of use to people?
I considered setting one up before using standard shopping site software and then taking payments for various different congresses
Time is always at a premium of course but it could be done if enough interest was raised
Worth a thought?
Rapidplay entries
Posted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:32 pm
by KMcCarthy
Having run the last 2 Lincoln Rapids I have found that late entry fees have very little effect - last tournament had 70 players with 26 entering in last 4 days and 3 on the day - btw Geoff if you ditch the late entry fee i will play and bring 2-3 more from Lincs with me

Your kind offer
Posted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:45 am
by Geoff Gibson
Kevin,
Thanks for your kind offer.
If you enter and bring your friends with you, I will certainly waive the late entry fee. If you would kindly e-mail the details to:
[email protected]
I will make sure you're entered - you may even pay on the day if you're unable to send payment beforehand!
Geoff
(PS - 51 entries, 6 days to go - business is picking uip slowly!).
Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:33 pm
by Nigel Wright
Carl Hibbard wrote:
Would a site that offered online entry with payment via paypal or nochex for example be of use to people?
Personally, I think that's a great idea - would it take much hassle to sort it out so that the charge is automatically raised when such time for late entry fees to be included comes?
Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:37 pm
by Nigel Wright
And Geoff, I'll be bringing potentially 10 players to the rapidplay, of whom you will probably meet on saturday too. I'm trying to get more than that, but it'll be mostly the juniors in the tournament on saturday who I can get.
Latest Update
Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:12 am
by Geoff Gibson
Thanks everyone for your entries and offers of support - The total now stands at 60 (still 5 days left) so things are looking up a bit.
We still need some more players for the Premier (U200) though so if anyone knows any strong players looking for a tournament this weekend, please point them in my direction!
Geoff
Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:46 am
by Geoff Gibson
63 entries, 4 days left.
The Premier (U200) only has 7 at the moment, not enough to run a viable tournament.
Unless I receive another 3 by this evening, we will have to abandon that section, so if you know anyone who is thinking of/would be prepared to enter that section, please let me know urgently.
If we do need to abandon the Premier, I'll put a full announcement on the website/Ceefax and other outlets tonight.
Geoff
URGENT - PREMIER ABANDONNED
Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:22 pm
by Geoff Gibson
I have sadly to announce that, owing to a lack of entries, the Premier Section (U200) at the Derbyshire Rapidplay on 02 December has been abandonned.
All players eligible have been transferred to the Major (U155) section. The remainder will have their entry fees refunded shortly.
Please advise anyone you know ho planned to attend the above event to enter the Premier not to do so. The remaining 3 sections will take place as scheduled.
Please accept my apologies for any inconveneince caused.
Geoff Gibson
Organiser
Derbys Rapid
Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:06 pm
by KMcCarthy
Having recruited 2 players for the U200 plus me and one other for the U155 we will now all have to give it a miss as the driver is one of those in U200
thats why i kept last Lincoln one to 2 sections with more grading prizes
Apologies
Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:25 am
by Geoff Gibson
Once again I offer my apologies to anyone affected by the decision not to proceed with the Premier (U200) section at Derbyshire Rapidplay on Sunday 02 December.
The decision was not taken lightly, but following two withdrawals from the Premier and no further entries during Thursday, it was apparent that the section was not viable, either financially or from a playing point of view.
All eligible players have been transferred to the Major (U155) section, which will takes place as advertised, along with the Intermediate and Minor sections.
Please advise anyone you know who has entered/is thinking of entering this event.
Re: URGENT - PREMIER ABANDONNED
Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:19 pm
by Mick Norris
Geoff Gibson wrote:I have sadly to announce that, owing to a lack of entries, the Premier Section (U200) at the Derbyshire Rapidplay on 02 December has been abandonned.
Geoff Gibson
Organiser
Geoff, sorry to hear that, but hope the event goes well on Sunday
We have 52 entries for Bury on Sunday 9 December (see Congress Diary section), we normally end up at about 100
Only 9 in the Open, one GM, but that tends to fill up later than the other sections and we have sponsorship to cover the cost
Mick