Has Modern technology taken chess to the next level!

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
matt_ward

Has Modern technology taken chess to the next level!

Post by matt_ward » Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:37 am

Hello again, It appears I can't stay away for this forum people probably think how "sad"; It's just I have another thing I would like to share, this time it's regarding Modern technology and chess. When I say technology I mean of course chess computers, DVD's chessbase, chess reader, megabase, etc etc the list goes on.

I mean to some extent I believe this has been beneficial although somewhat unfair, I mean back in the earlier 20th century it would appear that People in those days had to work harder to gain there ratings, and there knowledge and understanding of chess. I am not saying it's obviously easy now because far from that otherwise everyone would become a GM. They are not FACT! but I somewhat think over the years technology has really made chess a different game altogether.

And somewhat has changed people " for better for worse in sickness and in health" but yeah! I don't think these days people can be respected as much because chess has developed and now it's become a much less independent game! Which personally not sure is a bad thing, because this means it's become a much more social activity, getting others involved etc.

Matt. :D :D :) :) :P :P

Michele Clack

Re: Has Modern technology taken chess to the next level!

Post by Michele Clack » Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:22 pm

I believe that the availability of new media has made chess improvement more accessible to lots of people. I don't see how that can be anything other than a good thing, it's certainly not unfair. To take advantage of what's available it is still necessary to work very hard. That said I'm sure that there is no substitute for individually tailored coaching from a good teacher, Carlsen seems to have benefited a lot from coaching by Kasparov. However, even much less famous coaches are beyond the means of most people.

Trefor Owens

Post by Trefor Owens » Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:53 pm

Technology has advanced.

However a computer won’t improve your writing skills just because it automatically cheques your spelling. :)

As far as chess goes, information is now so readily available to everyone, that at my level I probably have to work much harder than ten years ago just to stop my decline from accelerating, however that may well be age related!!

Trefor

Ljubica Lazarevic

Post by Ljubica Lazarevic » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:39 pm

Modern technology doesn't make life easier... it makes it harder, you have to put in that extra bit of work to make sure the guy next to you doesn't gain an edge with the so-called 'lifestyle' improver...

matt_ward

Post by matt_ward » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:30 pm

I don't necessarily agree with this comment. The future has become something different with modern technology we would not be able to cope without it I feel.

Matt.