Are Chess Players Dangerous Drivers

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Scott Freeman

Are Chess Players Dangerous Drivers

Post by Scott Freeman » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:06 pm

For the first time in my life, I am not proud to say, I was caught by a camera in Sussex doing 36 in a 30 mph zone a few weeks ago. Unfortunately, I was on my way to a school in Uckfield where I was "handing over" the group to another of our trainers who was in the car with me. Unfortunately I was so busy chatting about it that I missed the 30mph signs as I entered the village where I was flashed at by the camera. Tough on me - I should be more alert to the important things next time!

Anyway, the Sussex Safer Roads office very kndly sent me an invitiation to attend a Speed Workshop for £105 instead of paying the £60 fine and getting points on my licence. After a bit of thinking about it, I decided to go on the course, which was this morning. I was first to arrive today and dutifully watched the organisers place 9 chairs around the table. As it turned out 7 attended, 1 was 45 minutes late (and was sent home - you are not allowed to be late!) and another failed to show completely. However, out of the 7who attended, there was myself, one chap (a friend - I won't mention names) who has been a member of CCF and who we sometimes see at congresses who I recognised straight away - and another who, when he walked in, I recognised straight away but couldn't place him. It turned out that he is a current member at Horsham and has played in a county match at CCF!

So 3 of the 7 who attended were active chess players who, at the very least, all knew of each other. Does this mean that chess players are more likely to break the speed limit than other minority groups? :lol:

John Upham

Re: Are Chess Players Dangerous Drivers

Post by John Upham » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:26 pm

Scott Freeman wrote: So 3 of the 7 who attended were active chess players who, at the very least, all knew of each other. Does this mean that chess players are more likely to break the speed limit than other minority groups? :lol:
I am both a member of the Institute for Advanced Motorists and a holder of an FIA International Rally License. http://www.johnupham.co.uk/images/vehic ... _large.jpg A rock and and a hard place therefore. :lol:
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Scott Freeman

Post by Scott Freeman » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:34 pm

Great news John. So we need another 2 people with suitable qualifications to balance the poor showing that the 3 of us who were on the course have done for the name of chess players.....! :D

cjdemooi

Post by cjdemooi » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:58 pm

Erm, I'm taking my racing licence in June and am competing in track competitions in the Autumn...perhaps we're not dangerous, it's just the need for speed!