World Championship 2010

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Post Reply
Ian Kingston
Posts: 1070
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:16 pm
Location: Sutton Coldfield
Contact:

World Championship 2010

Post by Ian Kingston » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:47 am

I don't think we have a specific thread for the World Championship match yet, so I've taken the liberty of starting one.

Looking at the photos of the opening ceremony, it looks as though Anand may have problems other than on the chessboard - Ilyumzhinov is photographed several times with Topalov's team, but not at all with Anand. Or am I being too suspicious?

Arshad Ali
Posts: 704
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:27 pm

Re: World Championship 2010

Post by Arshad Ali » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:48 am

Ian Kingston wrote: Looking at the photos of the opening ceremony, it looks as though Anand may have problems other than on the chessboard - Ilyumzhinov is photographed several times with Topalov's team, but not at all with Anand. Or am I being too suspicious?
Au contraire. With Ilyumzhinov you can never be too suspicious and paranoid. Anand is definitely the outsider in Bulgaria.

David Sedgwick
Posts: 4130
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:56 pm
Location: Croydon

Re: World Championship 2010

Post by David Sedgwick » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:31 am

A lot may depend on the arbiters, Panagiotis Nikolopoulos and Werner Stubenvoll. Both are known to me personally and I have every confidence in their competence and integrity.

Arshad Ali
Posts: 704
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:27 pm

Re: World Championship 2010

Post by Arshad Ali » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:35 am

Interesting piece by Ian Rogers on the treatment Anand is having to endure:

http://main.uschess.org/content/view/10325/585/
The pre-game interviews have also seen the locals slagging off Anand at every opportunity, for being too old, too conservative, disrespectful, derogatory, trying to trick the organisers by pretending he was in Sofia and, worst of all, failing to foresee the disruption the volcano would cause his travel plan.

Suffice it to say that Bulgaria is seeing a match between their national hero and an inconsiderate, arrogant and pompous World Champion.

TomChivers
Posts: 164
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:07 pm
Location: South London
Contact:

Re: World Championship 2010

Post by TomChivers » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:14 am

Betfair has Anand as slight favourite, but if I were putting my money on anyone, it'd be Topalov. I think he wants it more, Anand doesn't really seem to enjoy being World Champ.

Jonathan Rogers
Posts: 4127
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:26 pm

Re: World Championship 2010

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:36 am

I agree. Whilst I (rightly) expected him to beat Kramnik, I find it hard to see Anand beating Topalov too.

It is astonishing how little match experience Anand has after 1995. But from what little we know, he seems to have trouble when things start to go wrong. When Kasparov came back at him in 1995 he basically folded, as he he did v Kamsky in the FIDE QF in 1994. In fact he has only once won a match after falling behind, and that was against Kamsky in the PCA Final in 1995. That was not such a trauma since it was a loss on time in an excellent position in game one; he was already level by game three. In other words he has only won matches by virtue of being much stronger than his opponent (not the case against Topalov) or by virtue of dictating the openings (as against Kramnik, but this is less likely to be possible against Topalov).

Arshad Ali
Posts: 704
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:27 pm

Re: World Championship 2010

Post by Arshad Ali » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:55 pm

Jonathan Rogers wrote:I agree. Whilst I (rightly) expected him to beat Kramnik, I find it hard to see Anand beating Topalov too.

It is astonishing how little match experience Anand has after 1995. But from what little we know, he seems to have trouble when things start to go wrong. When Kasparov came back at him in 1995 he basically folded, as he he did v Kamsky in the FIDE QF in 1994. In fact he has only once won a match after falling behind, and that was against Kamsky in the PCA Final in 1995. That was not such a trauma since it was a loss on time in an excellent position in game one; he was already level by game three. In other words he has only won matches by virtue of being much stronger than his opponent (not the case against Topalov) or by virtue of dictating the openings (as against Kramnik, but this is less likely to be possible against Topalov).
Alas, you speak in troth. He doesn't have the killer psyche of a Kasparov, who's like the black knight in "Monty Python and the Holy Grail."

Jonathan Rogers
Posts: 4127
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:26 pm

Re: World Championship 2010

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:37 am

I don't know what Kasparov would say about being compared with the Black Knight in Monty Python! - though no doubt Anand and Carlsen could recite the whole scene for his elucidation. I'd like to see that...

Anyway, it starts today. What is the best website for following the action live? Chessbase does not provide a link, which is unusual, and I see elsewhere that there are arguments afoot on that.

Eoin Devane
Posts: 517
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:21 pm
Location: Cambridge

Re: World Championship 2010

Post by Eoin Devane » Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:10 pm

Chessdom's coverage tends to be quite good, in my experience: http://www.chessdom.com/topalov-anand-2 ... ame-1-live or http://livechess.chessdom.com/site/

Eoin Devane
Posts: 517
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:21 pm
Location: Cambridge

Re: World Championship 2010

Post by Eoin Devane » Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:12 pm

The official site is http://www.anand-topalov.com/

Ian Kingston
Posts: 1070
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:16 pm
Location: Sutton Coldfield
Contact:

Re: World Championship 2010

Post by Ian Kingston » Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:36 pm

According to ChessVibes,
Silvio Danailov, manager of Topalov and organizer in Sofia, told us that all media have to pay 15,000 Euros to transmit the games live
So live coverage may well depend on who Danailov decides to threaten with a lawsuit.

Matthew Turner
Posts: 3134
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 11:54 am

Re: World Championship 2010

Post by Matthew Turner » Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:47 pm

For what it's worth, I have bet £1.37 on Anand at even money with Betfair. Looks like there are going to be some tense times ahead for me.

Matthew Turner
Posts: 3134
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 11:54 am

Re: World Championship 2010

Post by Matthew Turner » Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:06 pm

OMG, Nxf6! I think I might done my money. Topalov is at his aggressive best.

User avatar
Ben Purton
Posts: 1622
Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:53 am
Location: Berks

Re: World Championship 2010

Post by Ben Purton » Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:19 pm

*shaking head* o dear... Thought this would be interesting world championship, this has Anand retirement written all over it :)
I love sleep, I need 8 hours a day and about 10 at night - Bill Hicks
I would die happy if I beat Wood Green in the Eastman Cup final - Richmond LL captain.
Hating the Yankees since 2002. Hating the Jets since 2001.

Arshad Ali
Posts: 704
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:27 pm

Re: World Championship 2010

Post by Arshad Ali » Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:23 pm

Matthew Turner wrote:OMG, Nxf6! I think I might done my money. Topalov is at his aggressive best.
But is Anand man enough to accept it?

Looks like it's curtains for Anand.

Post Reply