World Championship 2010

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Leonard Barden

Re: World Championship 2010

Post by Leonard Barden » Wed May 12, 2010 7:24 pm

Jonathan Bryant wrote:
Leonard Barden wrote:The final game result appeared this morning in the results section of the sports page.
Thanks for that. Do you happen to know if that's a new policy to return to publishing the chess results in the sports section - or why they stopped doing so for that matter?
They have never 'stopped'. In recent months I have reported results from the World Junior, London Classic, Hastings, Corus Wijk and the European championship, all on a daily basis. I generally try to give results from all major events where leading English players take part.

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Wed May 12, 2010 7:52 pm

Leonard Barden wrote:
Jonathan Bryant wrote:
Leonard Barden wrote:The final game result appeared this morning in the results section of the sports page.
Thanks for that. Do you happen to know if that's a new policy to return to publishing the chess results in the sports section - or why they stopped doing so for that matter?
They have never 'stopped'.
With respect I beg to differ. I'm talking about the paper paper here not the Internet version. Chess results used to appear in the sports section but I looked several times during the match and found nothing. The first time I noticed the absence was during Linares this year.

Your efforts notwithstanding I'm afraid the Guardian is definitely the worst of the four broadsheets (sic) when it comes to chess coverage (again, I'm talking about the hardcopy version. Internet editions may be different.)

Leonard Barden

Post by Leonard Barden » Thu May 13, 2010 10:27 am

Jonathan Bryant wrote:[Thanks for that. Do you happen to know if that's a new policy to return to publishing the chess results in the sports section - or why they stopped doing so for that matter?
They have never 'stopped'.[/quote]

With respect I beg to differ. I'm talking about the paper paper here not the Internet version. Chess results used to appear in the sports section but I looked several times during the match and found nothing. The first time I noticed the absence was during Linares this year.

Your efforts notwithstanding I'm afraid the Guardian is definitely the worst of the four broadsheets (sic) when it comes to chess coverage (again, I'm talking about the hardcopy version. Internet editions may be different.)[/quote]

In referring to results I also was referring to the hard copy edition. Every game of the match was reported in the results section of the sports page, though one or two were a day late to due lack of space (cricket and soccer results have priority).
I have the printed pages of these results.
As I explained earlier, I report on major events with English particpants, so I gave results every day for the European teams, World Junior, London Classic, Hastings, Gibraltar, European individual, and Corus Wijk. I didn't cover Pearl Spring, Bilbao or Linares in the daily results because they didn't fulful the criteria, though I dfd write about them in the weekly column,

Thank you for your kind compliments.......

Alex McFarlane

Post by Alex McFarlane » Thu May 13, 2010 10:55 am

Leonard do you really mean what you say?

The Guardian, a British newspaper, only covers events with an English dimension! Surely in fairness to ALL readers of the paper you should be reporting on events which have significance north of the border and in Wales and Northern Ireland too.

Was this an error on your part or should I be starting a campaign to have your column more representative of British chess?

I eagerly await your answer so that I may consider my next course of action :D .

Leonard Barden

Post by Leonard Barden » Thu May 13, 2010 11:45 am

Alex McFarlane wrote:Leonard do you really mean what you say?

The Guardian, a British newspaper, only covers events with an English dimension! Surely in fairness to ALL readers of the paper you should be reporting on events which have significance north of the border and in Wales and Northern Ireland too.

Was this an error on your part or should I be starting a campaign to have your column more representative of British chess?

I eagerly await your answer so that I may consider my next course of action :D .
I covered Keti Arakhamia-Grant's results daily in the European women's championship. I also refer you to my Saturday article of 6 March (available online, see reference above).

And, since you make a point of it, I should add that I also reported daily on the Scottish team's results in the 2009 European team championship, despite a feeling every day I did so that it was shameful for British as well as Scottish chess that a team was selected to take part which could only finish 37th out of 38, one place above Monaco.

Alex McFarlane

Post by Alex McFarlane » Thu May 13, 2010 12:50 pm

Leonard,

Thank you for correcting your previous mistake. It is good to see that you are continuing to report British chess and not merely events with English significance. I am most glad to see that you are not changing your policy as was implied by the previous posting.

I look forward to reading your reports on all major Celtic achievements.

Adam Raoof

Post by Adam Raoof » Thu May 13, 2010 12:56 pm

Alex McFarlane wrote:I look forward to reading your reports on all major Celtic achievements.
Or any Celtic achievements, just to make sure they get a mention... ;-)

Níl mé a bheith tromchúiseach!
Adam Raoof IA, IO
Chess England Events - https://chessengland.com/
The Chess Circuit - https://chesscircuit.substack.com/
Don’t stop playing chess!