Using Stockfish with the Arena interface

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Arshad Ali

Using Stockfish with the Arena interface

Post by Arshad Ali » Fri May 07, 2010 10:36 am

I'm completely flummoxed. I've downloaded Arena 2.0.1, which works hunky-dory. I've downloaded and unzipped Stockfish. But now how do I load Stockfish onto Arena? Don't I need to compile Stockfish? The "makefile" option in the "src" folder is apparently of no use to me (I'm using a netbook running the home version of Windows XP). Might anyone perchance have a clue about what I should do?

Alex Holowczak

Re: Using Stockfish with the Arena interface

Post by Alex Holowczak » Fri May 07, 2010 11:28 am

Arena is probably plucking all your engines from the same source folder (I'm assuming you can use other engines in Arena just fine). If you can find the folder with your other engines in it, stick the Stockfish engine in there, and then Arena should be able to find it.

Arshad Ali

Post by Arshad Ali » Fri May 07, 2010 11:35 am

Alex Holowczak wrote:Arena is probably plucking all your engines from the same source folder (I'm assuming you can use other engines in Arena just fine). If you can find the folder with your other engines in it, stick the Stockfish engine in there, and then Arena should be able to find it.
Yes, I can use the other engines. The problem is how to turn Stockfish into an executable (i.e., an .exe file).

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Fri May 07, 2010 11:39 am

Arshad Ali wrote:
Alex Holowczak wrote:Arena is probably plucking all your engines from the same source folder (I'm assuming you can use other engines in Arena just fine). If you can find the folder with your other engines in it, stick the Stockfish engine in there, and then Arena should be able to find it.
Yes, I can use the other engines. The problem is how to turn Stockfish into an executable (i.e., an .exe file).
A couple of options:
1) Try renaming the file .exe from .bin. (Unlikely, but worth a shot!)
2) Download some software that converts it

Arshad Ali

Post by Arshad Ali » Fri May 07, 2010 11:56 am

Alex Holowczak wrote: A couple of options:
1) Try renaming the file .exe from .bin. (Unlikely, but worth a shot!)
2) Download some software that converts it
Well, I managed to download executables of both Firebird and RobboLito, both of which are working just fine with Arena.

Ian Kingston

Post by Ian Kingston » Fri May 07, 2010 3:36 pm

There are executables for Windows within the zip file. Assuming you downloaded stockfish-171-win.zip, the executables are within the folder \stockfish-171-win\Windows inside the zip file. There are two: stockfish-171-32-ja.exe and stockfish-171-64-ja.exe, for 32 bit and 64 bit versions of Windows respectively.

Arshad Ali

Post by Arshad Ali » Fri May 07, 2010 6:21 pm

Ian Kingston wrote:There are executables for Windows within the zip file. Assuming you downloaded stockfish-171-win.zip, the executables are within the folder \stockfish-171-win\Windows inside the zip file. There are two: stockfish-171-32-ja.exe and stockfish-171-64-ja.exe, for 32 bit and 64 bit versions of Windows respectively.
You are right. I didn't extract all the files first time around. Gracias, senhor.