Chess strategy for the older player

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Arshad Ali
Posts: 704
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:27 pm

Chess strategy for the older player

Post by Arshad Ali » Wed May 12, 2010 10:03 pm

"Chess Strategy for the Older Player" would be a timely book were it written. I was flicking through the pages of Colin Crouch's latest book, "Why We Lost at Chess," where he describes the impact his stroke had on his play. But in reality all of us suffer in chess strength -- albeit to a milder degree -- as we age. We can't calculate as fast, as accurately, as tirelessly, as the brigades of young punks barely out of their diapers. Our brains change physiologically. So we have to counteract calculational skill and stamina with other qualities -- positional judgement, sitzkrieg, endgame knowledge, cunning and guile. But to my knowledge no-one has written a book directed at the over-40s describing how to make mincemeat of chess punks. Some of my sweetest victories have been about outwitting adolescent players out of victories that should rightfully have been theirs.

John Upham
Posts: 5153
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:29 am
Location: Cove, Hampshire, England.
Contact:

Re: Chess strategy for the older player

Post by John Upham » Wed May 12, 2010 10:09 pm

Arshad Ali wrote:"Chess Strategy for the Older Player" would be a timely book were it written. I was flicking through the pages of Colin Crouch's latest book, "Why We Lost at Chess," where he describes the impact his stroke had on his play. But in reality all of us suffer in chess strength -- albeit to a milder degree -- as we age. We can't calculate as fast, as accurately, as tirelessly, as the brigades of young punks barely out of their diapers. Our brains change physiologically. So we have to counteract calculational skill and stamina with other qualities -- positional judgement, sitzkrieg, endgame knowledge, cunning and guile. But to my knowledge no-one has written a book directed at the over-40s describing how to make mincemeat of chess punks. Some of my sweetest victories have been about outwitting adolescent players out of victories that should rightfully have been theirs.
See http://www.andrewmartinchessacademy.com ... ode=NRDCFS

and http://www.andrewmartinchessacademy.com ... e=NRDHTBYP
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Arshad Ali
Posts: 704
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:27 pm

Re: Chess strategy for the older player

Post by Arshad Ali » Wed May 12, 2010 10:23 pm


Louise Sinclair
Posts: 258
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:29 am
Location: London

Re: Chess strategy for the older player

Post by Louise Sinclair » Thu May 13, 2010 9:42 am

You guys should try anti aging medicine. It works wonders for speeding up stamina, spatial skills and well being.
Louise
You might very well think that ; I couldn't possibly comment.
' you turn if you want. The lady's not for turning'

Jonathan Bryant
Posts: 3279
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 3:54 pm

Re: Chess strategy for the older player

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Thu May 13, 2010 7:04 pm

Arshad Ali wrote:But to my knowledge no-one has written a book directed at the over-40s describing how to make mincemeat of chess punks
Didn't Nigel Davies write a book on this very subject ... or maybe a DVD?

User avatar
Matt Mackenzie
Posts: 3647
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:51 pm
Location: Millom, Cumbria

Re: Chess strategy for the older player

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Thu May 13, 2010 7:13 pm

Louise Sinclair wrote:You guys should try anti aging medicine. It works wonders for speeding up stamina, spatial skills and well being.
Louise
What?? This sounds like quackery :?
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Louise Sinclair
Posts: 258
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:29 am
Location: London

Re: Chess strategy for the older player

Post by Louise Sinclair » Thu May 13, 2010 8:07 pm

Not at all - it is growing rapidly in popularity. In fact quite a number of well known people take advantage of it and it is very big in America and Europe especially Belgium. Anyone who is interested should buy a copy of Hormone Solution by Thierry Hertoghe.I see a specialist myself and since starting it my blood pressure fell, my gum health improved and my energy levels rocketed. Best money I have spent in years - it also lowers cholesterol, increases sexual vigour and reduces abdominal fat.
Louise
You might very well think that ; I couldn't possibly comment.
' you turn if you want. The lady's not for turning'

Gary Cook
Posts: 114
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:09 pm
Contact:

Re: Chess strategy for the older player

Post by Gary Cook » Thu May 13, 2010 8:11 pm

At the age of 44 and nearly 30 years after I started playing seriously I have just had my best season - +9 = 7 -1 against an ave opponent of 140-150.
DHEA and the right vitamins (and good sleep) certainly keep you fresh and up for the challenge.

Gary

isaac wallis
Posts: 36
Joined: Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:32 pm

Re: Chess strategy for the older player

Post by isaac wallis » Thu May 13, 2010 8:19 pm

You two (Louise and Gary) seem to have a symbiotic relationship. Do you by any chance know each other?

Louise Sinclair
Posts: 258
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:29 am
Location: London

Re: Chess strategy for the older player

Post by Louise Sinclair » Thu May 13, 2010 9:47 pm

Isaac
We certainly do know each other :) been together since 1987 and met in 1985 at the local chess club.
Louise
You might very well think that ; I couldn't possibly comment.
' you turn if you want. The lady's not for turning'

Phil Neatherway
Posts: 580
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:10 pm
Location: Abingdon

Re: Chess strategy for the older player

Post by Phil Neatherway » Fri May 14, 2010 9:49 am

I have noticed that as I have got older, and my grade has declined :( , these are the issues:-
1. I make more stupid blunders, perhaps as often as every 6th game I make a game-losing move in a decent position
2. I have a lot more draws than I used to.
3. I am much less tolerant of quickplay finishes at 10.30 in the evening, so much so that I have given up evening League chess.

Is that the general experience?

Arshad Ali
Posts: 704
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:27 pm

Re: Chess strategy for the older player

Post by Arshad Ali » Fri May 14, 2010 12:22 pm

Phil Neatherway wrote:I have noticed that as I have got older, and my grade has declined :( , these are the issues:-
1. I make more stupid blunders, perhaps as often as every 6th game I make a game-losing move in a decent position
2. I have a lot more draws than I used to.
3. I am much less tolerant of quickplay finishes at 10.30 in the evening, so much so that I have given up evening League chess.

Is that the general experience?
The kind of energy-conserving positional chess we older players engage in (of necessity) means it's more difficult to prevail against stronger players. Hence the larger incidence of draws. To beat stronger players, one has to unbalance the game -- offering or accepting a sacrifice, say -- and then engage in a lot of concrete calculation. That's where we start going wrong. Missing a finesse at the end of a calculated sequence is often what decides the game between strong players. Hence the larger incidence of blunders in sharp positions.

John Upham
Posts: 5153
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:29 am
Location: Cove, Hampshire, England.
Contact:

Re: Chess strategy for the older player

Post by John Upham » Fri May 14, 2010 12:29 pm

Jonathan Bryant wrote:
Didn't Nigel Davies write a book on this very subject ... or maybe a DVD?
I referenced these in a previous post within this very thread.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

User avatar
Carl Hibbard
Posts: 5866
Joined: Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:05 pm
Location: Evesham

Re: Chess strategy for the older player

Post by Carl Hibbard » Fri May 14, 2010 12:35 pm

My grade has stayed almost the same for 20 years but I no longer enjoy the concentration it takes to play

In fact I haven't even played this season!
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Arshad Ali
Posts: 704
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:27 pm

Re: Chess strategy for the older player

Post by Arshad Ali » Fri May 14, 2010 12:43 pm

Another problem is a low-maintenance opening repertoire. Again, okay for drawing against stronger players (particularly as white) but not so good for beating them. To beat stronger players, you have to join battle in some of the sharper lines and so you have to be au courant with them. Could be the Sveshnikov, KID, Najdorf, Grunfeld, .... And of course if you play these sharp lines you have to play them in their true spirit -- which means dynamically, concretely, and not shying away from sacrifices.

Post Reply