The makings of a good arbiter

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Louise Sinclair

The makings of a good arbiter

Post by Louise Sinclair » Fri May 14, 2010 1:27 pm

Years ago I used to play in the Metropolitan Chess Congress. This was managed by Eric Croker a highly respected arbiter. Eric was so considerate he wore slippers to avoid distracting a player.
Gary runs the North Circular Chess Annual Blitz. This is an evening event which attracts a good level of entry. However the players inevitably make quite a noise which can be distracting for others who haven't finished their games.
How does an arbiter effectively control the noise without giving himself a sore throat during the process.
Any suggestions?
Louise
You might very well think that ; I couldn't possibly comment.
' you turn if you want. The lady's not for turning'

Sean Hewitt

Re: The makings of a good arbiter

Post by Sean Hewitt » Fri May 14, 2010 1:31 pm

Louise Sinclair wrote:How does an arbiter effectively control the noise without giving himself a sore throat during the process.
Any suggestions?
Louise
Introduce zero default times. There would be so few players left playing that noise would not be an issue :D

IanDavis

Post by IanDavis » Fri May 14, 2010 1:45 pm

Walk around with a clipboard, carrying an important look.
Stop at the table of any noisy oiks. Offer a stern look. Write something studiously on the clipboard.

John Saunders

Post by John Saunders » Fri May 14, 2010 2:01 pm

IanDavis wrote:Walk around with a clipboard, carrying an important look.
Stop at the table of any noisy oiks. Offer a stern look. Write something studiously on the clipboard.
Excellent idea. I can visualise the late, great Richard Furness doing just that.

In one sense Richard was atypical. He lacked gravitas - but only in the original, literal Latin meaning of that word. Arbiters should be like Terry Pratchett's Discworld wizards and eat lots of big dinners.
Personal Twitter @johnchess
Britbase https://www.britbase.info
(I prefer email to PM - contact me via this link - https://www.saund.org.uk/email.html)

Louise Sinclair

Post by Louise Sinclair » Fri May 14, 2010 2:29 pm

Hmm what happens if the players are busy throwing their pieces around in a blitz finish and don't glance up to receive the stern look?
Louise

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Fri May 14, 2010 2:34 pm

Louise Sinclair wrote:How does an arbiter effectively control the noise without giving himself a sore throat during the process.
Any suggestions?
Louise
Adopt the Norwegian approach (or at least the approach of the arbiter of all 3 Norwegian tournaments I've played in). Walk around with red and yellow cards in your pocket and show them when necessary.

Before you ask, I never saw him actually use the cards.

IanDavis

Post by IanDavis » Fri May 14, 2010 2:46 pm

Louise Sinclair wrote:
Hmm what happens if the players are busy throwing their pieces around in a blitz finish and don't glance up to receive the stern look?
Louise
That's why you've got a clipboard in the first place, silly!
(Although, I expect that element is outlawed by outrageous nanny state legislation)

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Fri May 14, 2010 2:49 pm

Louise Sinclair wrote:Gary runs the North Circular Chess Annual Blitz. This is an evening event which attracts a good level of entry. However the players inevitably make quite a noise which can be distracting for others who haven't finished their games.
This can be a real problem with Rapidplay and Blitz events. I always try to make an appeal at the start, which I repeat at the beginning of each round if necessary.

However, it's not always as much of a problem as one might think. When players only have a minute or so each left on the clock, they're concentrating so hard that they may well not notice the noise which is driving the arbiter to distraction.

Louise Sinclair

Post by Louise Sinclair » Fri May 14, 2010 3:22 pm

IanDavis wrote:
Louise Sinclair wrote:
Louise
That's why you've got a clipboard in the first place, silly!
(Although, I expect that element is outlawed by outrageous nanny state legislation)
Ian
What action should be employed with the clipboard :lol:
Louise

IanDavis

Post by IanDavis » Fri May 14, 2010 4:02 pm

Louise Sinclair wrote: Ian
What action should be employed with the clipboard :lol:
Louise
Having checked the forum guidelines carefully, It seems I am not allowed to verbalise this. :lol:

Ben Purton

Post by Ben Purton » Fri May 14, 2010 5:23 pm

Most of the best arbiters are at the 4NCL, sadly 3 of the best ones have passed away recently. The 2 best of the 3 at rules etc were Richard and John. But the one who was by far the best at "controlling" my team in probably their most "manic" time was Steve Boniface.

Its quite sad when you think back to 4NCL just 5 years ago.
Ben
I love sleep, I need 8 hours a day and about 10 at night - Bill Hicks
I would die happy if I beat Wood Green in the Eastman Cup final - Richmond LL captain.
Hating the Yankees since 2002. Hating the Jets since 2001.

Gary Cook

Post by Gary Cook » Fri May 14, 2010 6:44 pm

The biggest problem is not when they are concentrating on the game as afterwards when they are busy analysing. Unfortunately it is not a large room so the noise travels.
I do like the Norwegian idea!

Gary

John Ariss

Post by John Ariss » Sat May 15, 2010 12:08 pm

Steve Boniface was the person who convinced me to be an arbiter,he was certainly the best I have ever encountered.He once said to me " there is one thing an arbiter needs above ANYTHING else - common sense!".
He also said" be pro-active, don't wait for someone to give you a problem - get there first."
Sound advice from the best in the business.

Louise Sinclair

Post by Louise Sinclair » Sat May 15, 2010 7:24 pm

Eric Croker was the finest arbiter I ever met. I never encountered Steve Bonniface.
Louise

Ljubica Lazarevic

Post by Ljubica Lazarevic » Tue May 18, 2010 1:43 pm

Steve was a legend, and he is sorely missed :(