Quickplay rules

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Roger de Coverly

Quickplay rules

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri May 21, 2010 2:23 pm

One of our local competitions has proposed to move from 36/90 + 30 to G/120. So it will be the same four hour session but without an intermediate time control.

Personally I'm mildly against because I suspect it will increase the incidence of mad time scrambles from move 30 onwards.

It's also been suggested that quickplay rules don't apply. Am I right in thinking that's total nonsense and that the usual 10.2 and not recording moves within the last 5 minutes is still applicable?

David Shepherd

Re: Quickplay rules

Post by David Shepherd » Fri May 21, 2010 2:32 pm

Roger maybe it is just me, and my lack of opening knowleedge and the long dull games I play - but I nearly always get in time trouble but less so without the intermediate control. There is a temptation to just make the control but often in my opinion the split then leaves too little time for the ending. I know this but it still doesn't seem to stop me just making the intermediate time control whatever it is :-(

Steve Rooney

Post by Steve Rooney » Fri May 21, 2010 2:35 pm

The Shropshire league has used G/95 for several seasons with 10.2 rule applying, although the latter was only formally clarified last season following a couple of incidents. It does indeed lead to time scrambles at a low move number. There are still some who don't like it and personally I think an intermediate time control is better, but there is no consensus to change so suspect it will continue. (Don't ask me why we have such an odd number of minutes, but this is Shropshire ...) I am not sure there have been any valid 10.2 claims, but in team events it makes for a lot of exciting finishes!

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Fri May 21, 2010 2:39 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:Am I right in thinking that's total nonsense and that the usual 10.2 and not recording moves within the last 5 minutes is still applicable?
Yes, you are right.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Fri May 21, 2010 2:40 pm

G/120 is equivalent to 0 moves in 0 minutes, followed by a 120-minute quickplay finish.