British Chess Championships 2010

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Alex McFarlane

Re: British Chess Championships 2010

Post by Alex McFarlane » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:07 pm

Even though Jack is incorruptable I think his actions are monitored enough to ensure that there is no bias.

He usually knows the pairings before we start anyway. It would be inexcusable to ignore someone with his expertise though I don't always accept his pairings!!!

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:09 pm

Richard and Alex,
Oh yes that was pretty bad!

Eoin Devane

Post by Eoin Devane » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:22 pm

Wilf Arnold wrote:You need to download the file from the PGN files page - it is called bc2010r1.pgn - this has the moves in it - including the correct end to Simon Williams' game yesterday
Thanks Wilf - I've got them now.

Jon D'Souza-Eva

Post by Jon D'Souza-Eva » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:37 pm

Wilf Arnold wrote:I have yet to see a pairing program that is coupled to a language parser so that you can try to get pairings such as 'Liver' and 'Onions', or 'White' and 'Christmas'. The nearest I got was a pairing of 'Price' and 'Fisher', but the colour preferences were wrong.
At a Cowley Blitz Tournament a couple of years Anna Wang was paired up against Simon King. The controller looked at the pairings board for a few seconds and then quickly switched them round so that Simon was white. It was a good five minutes before I worked out why.

Wilf Arnold

Post by Wilf Arnold » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:42 pm

Jon D'Souza-Eva wrote:
Wilf Arnold wrote:I have yet to see a pairing program that is coupled to a language parser so that you can try to get pairings such as 'Liver' and 'Onions', or 'White' and 'Christmas'. The nearest I got was a pairing of 'Price' and 'Fisher', but the colour preferences were wrong.
At a Cowley Blitz Tournament a couple of years Anna Wang was paired up against Simon King. The controller looked at the pairings board for a few seconds and then quickly switched them round so that Simon was white. It was a good five minutes before I worked out why.
Maybe it also needs to be integrated with a sense of humour package, with the 'taste' option set to 'off'.

The controller responsible should hang his/her head in shame! :)

Adam Raoof

Post by Adam Raoof » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:46 pm

Wilf Arnold wrote:
Jon D'Souza-Eva wrote:
Maybe it also needs to be integrated with a sense of humour package, with the 'taste' option set to 'off'.

The controller responsible should hang his/her head in shame! :)
Yes, shame - if the pairing was correct, he should have left it as it stood!
Adam Raoof IA, IO
Chess England Events - https://chessengland.com/
The Chess Circuit - https://chesscircuit.substack.com/
Don’t stop playing chess!

Rob Thompson

Post by Rob Thompson » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:50 pm

The best one I've ever seen was Roger Neat playing Norman Tidy. Unfortunately, Norman was paired as white, but offered to swap colours anyway
True glory lies in doing what deserves to be written; in writing what deserves to be read.

Wilf Arnold

Post by Wilf Arnold » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:09 pm

Looks like they're going for at least 12 boards today.

Wilf Arnold

Post by Wilf Arnold » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:18 pm

..also no 5 minute delay?

Adam Raoof

Post by Adam Raoof » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:21 pm

http://www.livestream.com/leylandchess - Andrew Martin and guests - Tryfon Gavriel of ChessWorld live!

http://www.livestream.com/ecfwebcam - webcam

http://www.britishchess2010.com/ - Championships site

LIVE GAMES - http://www.britishchess2010.com/live_games.htm
Adam Raoof IA, IO
Chess England Events - https://chessengland.com/
The Chess Circuit - https://chesscircuit.substack.com/
Don’t stop playing chess!

Jon D'Souza-Eva

Post by Jon D'Souza-Eva » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:24 pm

Wilf Arnold wrote:The controller responsible should hang his/her head in shame! :)
Obviously it would be inappropriate to name the Tim Dickinson responsible.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:28 pm

Rob Thompson wrote:The best one I've ever seen was Roger Neat playing Norman Tidy. Unfortunately, Norman was paired as white, but offered to swap colours anyway
You're out of date. Two or three years ago at Paignton, when I was Chief Arbiter, Roger Neat made the opening remarks on behalf of Devon CCA and expressed the hope that he'd be given the white pieces against Norman Tidy at some point during the event. A few days later his wish was fulfilled.

The other one that I particularly remember was when Ken Norman had white against Stuart Conquest in the Isle of Man. We've not yet managed that pairing at Hastings - that really would be something.

Rob Thompson

Post by Rob Thompson » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:40 pm

David Sedgwick wrote:
Rob Thompson wrote:The best one I've ever seen was Roger Neat playing Norman Tidy. Unfortunately, Norman was paired as white, but offered to swap colours anyway
You're out of date. Two or three years ago at Paignton, when I was Chief Arbiter, Roger Neat made the opening remarks on behalf of Devon CCA and expressed the hope that he'd be given the white pieces against Norman Tidy at some point during the event. A few days later his wish was fulfilled.

The other one that I particularly remember was when Ken Norman had white against Stuart Conquest in the Isle of Man. We've not yet managed that pairing at Hastings - that really would be something.
That was the congress i was reffering to, but i thought Norman Tidy was white... :oops:
True glory lies in doing what deserves to be written; in writing what deserves to be read.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:43 pm

In Pert-Haydon, hasn't Black fallen into a well-known trap because White has 9.c5?
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:03 pm

I hope something has gone wrong with the moves in the Williams - Littlewood game. Otherwise Paul has had a real problem :D