British Chess Championships 2010

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
JustinHorton

Re: British Chess Championships 2010

Post by JustinHorton » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:48 pm

My guess is that he won't make him play it.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Joey Stewart

Post by Joey Stewart » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:51 pm

What is he playing at here??
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:53 pm

Keith Arkell wrote:There might have been a moment when Nick was near to winning,but Black should hold now.
Talking of random records,is it possible that I have broke the record for the most moves played over the 11 rounds? There was talk that the previos best was Tony Miles averaging 58. Mine was well into the 60s. Hardly compensation for having a **** tournament,but a curiosity nonetheless.

Good work Keith - especially since (quite reasonably) you had that early bath after the two long games in the middle there.

Do you think the incremental time control might have something to do with driving the average length of games up?

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:53 pm

There's quite a lot of stalemates and...

...yes, Bf4, that does it.
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

Joey Stewart

Post by Joey Stewart » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:53 pm

ahhhhh. aiming for Bf4 - very nice
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:56 pm

I was wondering which two players in master chess had the longest average number of moves in games between one another. (I actually looked up Miles-Arkell on Chessgames, but there's only six games although there are two long ones.)

Obviously you'd have to have a minimum number of games, otherwise the list would be headed by people who'd had one game against each other but it lasted 219 moves or something...
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

Joey Stewart

Post by Joey Stewart » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:57 pm

and Ng6 now

Joey Stewart

Post by Joey Stewart » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:58 pm

YES!!! I saw it before he played it.
Shame we didnt get to see a bishop and knight mate, but it did look as though the king was very close to the mating corner.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:01 pm

And that just about wraps it up.

Well done everybody. I've really enjoyed watching all that. I think you particularly appreciate it if you grew up when you had to wait weeks even to get the game scores. Now I can see it happening practically live, from a thousand miles away. Thanks ever so much to everybody who put it on, and everybody who played.
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:04 pm

I hope everyone enjoyed the coverage this year - as usual a big thanks (and probably not often enough...) goes out to Dave Clayton - your hero on site :D
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Andy Burnett

Post by Andy Burnett » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:14 pm

Many thanks for the live coverage from up here in Scotland - coupled with a few rounds of golf it's made my week long sickie most enjoyable! :D

Anthony Higgs

Post by Anthony Higgs » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:16 pm

Great stuff, well done to all involved! :)
http://www.horshamchessclub.org.uk - ECF Club of the Year 2010

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:25 pm

Keith Arkell wrote:There might have been a moment when Nick was near to winning,but Black should hold now.
Talking of random records,is it possible that I have broke the record for the most moves played over the 11 rounds? There was talk that the previos best was Tony Miles averaging 58. Mine was well into the 60s. Hardly compensation for having a **** tournament,but a curiosity nonetheless.
The real reason for Keith's long games is obvious. After losing to Jack in Round One, he's punishing him by making him input all these moves for the bulletin. :wink:

Peter Lalic

Post by Peter Lalic » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:00 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote: I consider it totally unfair on the other players to award one and a half points for this game.
I am with you, Roger!
Also, 2.45 sounds acceptable - who cares about the rule "within" an hour or whatever the default time is. Francis' timing is close enough to the default time - why not give (or take) 5 minutes? It sounds cruel considering that Rayner telephoned.

They should have played, because the game's later finish would not have caused any difficulty.
This is a case of a cruel obsession with technicalities. It sounds like Major Open players were duped!?
As a spectator, I don't care - but it's just an interesting viewpoint.
http://www.youtube.com/user/DraganLalic
for free, high-quality videos about chess, for your own improvement. Fun lectures: tactics and endgame courses, my tournament games, others' great games, openings, and blindfold chess!

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:22 am

Jonathan Bryant >Do you think the incremental time control might have something to do with driving the average length of games up?<
Of course it does. The number of blunders caused by quickplay finishes and absurd time trouble at earlier stages is very much reduced.

The last round had a large number of very interesting games. This contrasts favourably with some other tournaments over the years. This will have been partly because of the nature of the players and partly because of the spread of abilities. The former is the biggest factor. The fact that there is now a live audience all over the world may also have something to do with it.

Stewart Reuben