British Chess Championships 2010

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Mark Page

Re: British Chess Championships 2010

Post by Mark Page » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:42 pm

David Haydon wrote:In response to comments about late arrivals to the british championship -

Last round, i was playing David Spence in the main championship (bd17). I Live in Thurrock (essex) , so its about an hour and 10 minutes drive to canterbury, but like everyday, i left early, around 11:30-12.00. On route to canterbury, a lorry caught fire on top of the dartford crossing, which held up my journey for another 2 hours. I phoned within the first hour, to let the ECF and arbiters know i was late, and for them also to report this problem to my opponent, and to let him decide what he wanted to do.

My game was due to start at 2.15 PM , but i arrived at 3:10 PM. and sportingly, David Spence agreed to play the game. he mentioned nothing about claiming the game, even though it was well within his right for him to do so. and the arbiters even added a further 20 minutes to my clock, so i was only 30 or so minutes down at this time, Dave kindly was not at all worried by this.

I ended up winning the game, but at no time did spence blame me or complain about losing, it just shows he is a real chessplayer, and a true sporting gentleman.

now after being on the road for over 3 hours, the money i had spent (approximately £40 a round) , the day i had off work, i would have been pretty cheesed off if i had been defaulted.

In reflect i would have done exactly the same as to what Spence sportingly did for me - not claiming the game. because this would show how shallow the person is, im brought to a chess board, not to claim a game, but to play it regardless of the situations, true some reasons are not justifiable, but the ones that are should be given some leeway.

Its a shame that so many chess players out there are not willing to play chess, but point grab off one other, no wonder why there are so many sad chess players out there, claiming win from defaults is not a way to make friends, and it certainly is not associated with chess, but rather plain human Stupidity and ignorance.

at the end of the day any real chess player would be more satisfied with winning a game of chess, rather than winning by default. i would only claim the game, if it was really the only option.

David.
David, I would have to say that David Spence sounds like a candidate for sainthood given the way he accommodated your late arrival. If the default time had been 1 hour (a la 4NCL) you would have arrived in time and lost 55 minutes on the closk. With the advertised British Championship default time of 30 minutes, you had already (1) "lost"; and (2) arrived 55 minutes late, but actually got given 20 minutes back! It seems very strange/quite wrong that you were better off with a 30 minute default time than a 60 minute one.

However sporting or not I may be, I can safely say that if I had been your opponent and the arbiters had behaved like that, I would have been very upset.

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:18 pm

"Not that it matters" but although the arbiters should do as Mark says in the 4NCL, according to its rules, in practice they have often been more accommodating. (Of course, whether they do so rightly or wrongly could be debated. Well, it already is...).

Nick Thomas

Post by Nick Thomas » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:35 pm

Philip Adams wrote
Thank you Lee; I have a very nice life already, mainly due to hard work and good luck.

Good chess requires some precision of thought and mental discipline. Agreed? So does good communication. Bad spelling and bad grammar can create "noise" that can distract the reader from the "message" and thus not only make a bad impression but make the communication inefficient.

This can also be considered an aspect of good manners, which, like our use of language, help distinguish human beings from other species.

Being careless about grammar and spelling also makes a statement about one as a person and is thus likely to affect one's prospects in the education system and the job market. It doesn't require genius, just a little effort.

PS If you want to abbreviate "must have", use "must've". :D
I've always considered it bad manners to critisise other folks syntax (or speling) in forums (as in "real" life). There are many possible explainations for others failing to live up to your demanding standards. I, personaly, have devoted, zero time in the last 25 years to (working ); on this as I see it is unimpotent..

David Gilbert

Post by David Gilbert » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:58 pm

Here, here! Or hear, hear? Or even 'ear, 'ear?

Lee Bullock

Post by Lee Bullock » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:50 am

Nick Thomas wrote:Philip Adams wrote
Thank you Lee; I have a very nice life already, mainly due to hard work and good luck.

Good chess requires some precision of thought and mental discipline. Agreed? So does good communication. Bad spelling and bad grammar can create "noise" that can distract the reader from the "message" and thus not only make a bad impression but make the communication inefficient.

This can also be considered an aspect of good manners, which, like our use of language, help distinguish human beings from other species.

Being careless about grammar and spelling also makes a statement about one as a person and is thus likely to affect one's prospects in the education system and the job market. It doesn't require genius, just a little effort.

I've always considered it bad manners to critisise other folks syntax (or speling) in forums (as in "real" life). There are many possible explainations for others failing to live up to your demanding standards. I, personaly, have devoted, zero time in the last 25 years to (working ); on this as I see it is unimpotent..
Thankyou Nick.

Its like saying to someone why didnt you play like a Gm today when there an average club player. I thought I had posted that but did not seem to submit? You should only criticise grammer if someone claims to be an English teacher or they claim to have perfect English.
2013/2014 and 16/17 U140 Grand Prix Winner! ;)

2015 and 2016 Chess character of the year :)

Its not a failure to lose. Its a failure when you dont try and win.

Philip Adams

Post by Philip Adams » Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:46 am

I was trying to be helpful. I am actually pretty tolerant, but "would of" - I ask you! What sort of English is that?

Nick, with your attitude you do the Lees of this world no favours at all.

Lee, If you make such little effort and take such little care about how you express yourself in writing, why should I or anyone else take the trouble to read your contributions?

That will be my last word on this subject.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:53 am

Hey, so avoiding all the grammar stuff, what did people think about the British Chess Championships overall this year? What was the best game played - I think there were games of the day, but was there an award for game of the championships?

Lee Bullock

Post by Lee Bullock » Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:51 am

Philip Adams wrote:

I was trying to be helpful. I am actually pretty tolerant, but "would of" - I ask you! What sort of English is that?

Nick, with your attitude you do the Lees of this world no favours at all.

Lee, If you make such little effort and take such little care about how you express yourself in writing, why should I or anyone else take the trouble to read your contributions?

That will be my last word on this subject.
Wow Phillip, you just dont get it do you. What if I have bad English by nature. do I just shut up and never talk or comment. do I not have an opinion? Do we shut out people with learning troubles or difficulties? People who have dyslexia? Do we tell people who are disabled they dont matter as they are not the same as us? No we dont!

We are tolerant and understanding and make sure equal opportunities are met. As I said if someone had bad English and then you say excuse me can you write like an intelectual writer with perfect grammer please. It is impossible. Im a maths wizkid and I would never say to someone oh be like me! As it is not possible. Some people have natural talent in certain areas and some do not!
2013/2014 and 16/17 U140 Grand Prix Winner! ;)

2015 and 2016 Chess character of the year :)

Its not a failure to lose. Its a failure when you dont try and win.

Thomas Rendle

Post by Thomas Rendle » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:16 pm

Who won the Alexander Best Game Prize? I can't see it on the prizelist.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:23 pm

Thomas Rendle wrote:Who won the Alexander Best Game Prize? I can't see it on the prizelist.
I was at the prize giving and I don't recall it being awarded. The Littlewood junior best game prize went to Addison-Jones from round 9.

Paul Littlewood

Post by Paul Littlewood » Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:33 pm

It wasn't awarded but I believe Andrew Martin is responsible for choosing it...is that correct Andrew ?

andrew martin

Post by andrew martin » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:09 pm

Paul,

I awarded the prize to Richard Pert for his excellent game against Thomas Rendle and informed Dave Welch as early as I could by email of this decision.

I dont know why the prize was not awarded therefore apart from him not checking his email. It should have been awarded by now.

Andrew

Paul Littlewood

Post by Paul Littlewood » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:52 pm

Andrew,

Many thanks !

Alex McFarlane

Post by Alex McFarlane » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:27 am

andrew martin wrote:Paul,

I awarded the prize to Richard Pert for his excellent game against Thomas Rendle and informed Dave Welch as early as I could by email of this decision.

I dont know why the prize was not awarded therefore apart from him not checking his email. It should have been awarded by now.

Andrew
Thank you for this Andrew. It is unfortunate that you did not also inform me of the winner or indicate in advance that you would do so by email. Having packed away much of the equipment the previous night at the conclusion of the event it would have been extremely difficult for David to have accessed his email to have known who won this prize.

The information has been passed on to the office to send out the cheque.

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:02 am

Alex,
Hopefully you can help with a couple of queries which no-one else has been able to provide answers for

1. Who was the appeals committee in the French - Rayner game?
2. Was the top seed in the U16's (Sebastien Mulheim) eligible to play

Many thanks for taking the time to respond to questions about the Championships.