British Chess Championships 2010

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
David Sedgwick

Re: British Chess Championships 2010

Post by David Sedgwick » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:40 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote:A new idea to stop short draws: The players who agree must spend an hour keying in games in the U11 section. Their features are:

1) Ambiguous rook moves
2) Not resigning until it's a mate-in-one, even though they're multiple pieces down
3) Missing entire moves out
4) Writing down the wrong destination square of the piece (presumably this is black, not white)

It's a bit hard to motivate yourself to key in a 70-move game that often has all of these features.
You're learning. Now try this one for size. Think about it before deciding whether you really want to become an arbiter.

It's the last round of the U100 section at the Hastings weekend event. Both players hand in scoresheets, but neither scoresheet gives the result. There's no sign of either player, so the only thing to do is to play through the moves. The game is 70-80 moves long. You struggle through the scoresheets, which have many of the features you describe. At the end you reach a position where White has a rook and two or three pawns, Black has a rook, a knight and four or five pawns. You conclude that Black must have won with his extra material and record the result accordingly.

About half an hour afterwards White reappears and says that you have the result wrong. When you ask him how he managed to win from a position where he was a knight and two pawns down for nothing, he says that Black subsequently left his rook on prise.

The organiser kindly agreed that he would telephone Black at home later for confirmation, thus saving me that task.

Phil Makepeace

Post by Phil Makepeace » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:31 am

We get all superstitious today.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:33 am

David Sedgwick wrote:
Alex Holowczak wrote:A new idea to stop short draws: The players who agree must spend an hour keying in games in the U11 section. Their features are:

1) Ambiguous rook moves
2) Not resigning until it's a mate-in-one, even though they're multiple pieces down
3) Missing entire moves out
4) Writing down the wrong destination square of the piece (presumably this is black, not white)

It's a bit hard to motivate yourself to key in a 70-move game that often has all of these features.
You're learning. Now try this one for size. Think about it before deciding whether you really want to become an arbiter.

It's the last round of the U100 section at the Hastings weekend event. Both players hand in scoresheets, but neither scoresheet gives the result. There's no sign of either player, so the only thing to do is to play through the moves. The game is 70-80 moves long. You struggle through the scoresheets, which have many of the features you describe. At the end you reach a position where White has a rook and two or three pawns, Black has a rook, a knight and four or five pawns. You conclude that Black must have won with his extra material and record the result accordingly.

About half an hour afterwards White reappears and says that you have the result wrong. When you ask him how he managed to win from a position where he was a knight and two pawns down for nothing, he says that Black subsequently left his rook on prise.

The organiser kindly agreed that he would telephone Black at home later for confirmation, thus saving me that task.
Usually, if I see a game ending, I go over to collect the scoresheet myself. That way you can point this sort of thing out at the time. That's not always possible, but most of the time things like that can be avoided.

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:39 am

I've just had a look at Phil's blog and seen the blunder played by Felix - oh dear.

John Saunders

Post by John Saunders » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:56 am

I followed Matthew to Phil's (very entertaining) blog and had a deja vu moment. If it is any consolation to Felix, he is not the only very talented youngster to fall for this cheapo. 1 e4 c6 2 c4 d5 3 cxd5 cxd5 4 exd5 Nf6 5 Qa4+ Bd7 6 Qb3 Qc8 7 Bc4?? (same position as Ynojosa-Makepeace except Black's queen on c8) b5 and Black (me) went on to win, though not without some difficulty. The identity of White? Future GM James Howell (game played in 1978 when James was 11 and I was 25).
Personal Twitter @johnchess
Britbase https://www.britbase.info
(I prefer email to PM - contact me via this link - https://www.saund.org.uk/email.html)

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:44 am

Any idea when the games from round 2 will be available to view online?

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:45 am

Will a "Game of the Day" appear on the official web site each day?

See http://www.britishchess2010.com/gotd.htm
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Daniel Young

Post by Daniel Young » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:47 am

John Upham wrote:Will a "Game of the Day" appear on the official web site each day?

See http://www.britishchess2010.com/gotd.htm
Check the "PGN Games" page.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:52 am

E Michael White wrote:
Is this a drawback of accelerated pairings ? The theory assumes that all games go with seeding (grading) and occasionally they dont.

Harry Lamb >I find this is a real problem. You are pairing strong players who are off form against weaker players who are on form. I find for this reason the rabbit bashers fail regularly to bash the rabbits.<

The system is very robust and able to deal with upsets against the rating. It is very rare for a player to win two games in a row against a much higher rated opponent. That is why it is necessary to continue acceleration for three rounds. You will note that, in this year's British, nobody from the bottom half managed to reach 2/2, but several have 1.5. Just once, in my experence, did a lower graded player (P Morrey I think) get to be the lone leader with 3/3 - in the 1971 Islington Open. His eventual excellent score was 4/6. The system even coped in 1965(?) with my assigning Les Blackstock an absurdly low grade in error and pairing him accordingly.
All tournaments will throw up unexpected results. The more rounds you have, the more likely the results will run true. That is NOT that the higher rated players get higher scores. It is that the players wiith a higher TPR (tournament performance rating) get a higher score.
Stewart Reuben

Adam Raoof

Post by Adam Raoof » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:56 am

Why do we use accelerated pairings in an 11 round event? Discuss.

Please address the topic in non-technical language, such as you might use when explaining live plug sockets to a child...
Adam Raoof IA, IO
Chess England Events - https://chessengland.com/
The Chess Circuit - https://chesscircuit.substack.com/
Don’t stop playing chess!

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:40 am

Adam Raoof >Why do we use accelerated pairings in an 11 round event? Discuss.
Please address the topic in non-technical language, such as you might use when explaining live plug sockets to a child...<

If you look back some pages earlier on this thread you will find my explanation of why Accelerated Pairings are being used for the British Chess Championship - not that this choice was ever mine.
It is rather worrying that the ECF Director of Home Chess does not understand a pairing system that has been used in British chess events for over 40 years. But you want a simple explanation:

BECAUSE THE PEOPLE IN CHARGE OF THE PAIRINGS THINK THE SYSTEM IS BETTER THAN ANY OTHER THEY KNOW OF FOR THIS PARTICULAR EVENT.

Stewart Reuben

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:45 am

Stewart Reuben wrote: does not understand a pairing system

Stewart Reuben
Is "understanding" the same as "agreeing with"?

Discuss!
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Adam Raoof

Post by Adam Raoof » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:47 am

Stewart Reuben wrote:Adam Raoof >Why do we use accelerated pairings in an 11 round event? Discuss.
Please address the topic in non-technical language, such as you might use when explaining live plug sockets to a child...<

If you look back some pages earlier on this thread you will find my explanation of why Accelerated Pairings are being used for the British Chess Championship - not that this choice was ever mine.
It is rather worrying that the ECF Director of Home Chess does not understand a pairing system that has been used in British chess events for over 40 years. But you want a simple explanation:

BECAUSE THE PEOPLE IN CHARGE OF THE PAIRINGS THINK THE SYSTEM IS BETTER THAN ANY OTHER THEY KNOW OF FOR THIS PARTICULAR EVENT.

Stewart Reuben
Dear Stewart

Thanks. I didn't say that I did not understand the pairing system. I asked why we use this particular pairing system, which you invented by mistake. People who read this Forum may not be as bright as you, so can you answer that in non-technical language?
Adam Raoof IA, IO
Chess England Events - https://chessengland.com/
The Chess Circuit - https://chesscircuit.substack.com/
Don’t stop playing chess!

Simon Spivack

Post by Simon Spivack » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:51 am

Stewart Reuben wrote:Just once, in my experence, did a lower graded player (P Morrey I think) get to be the lone leader with 3/3 - in the 1971 Islington Open. His eventual excellent score was 4/6.
I should defer to Stewart on this one. However, there was an Islington, sometime in the early '70s, in which Dave Patrick upset many of his betters (sic). I believe it was Kurajica who restored the natural (sic) order. Islington was a very strong club in those days, and Dave was a member. I haven't seen him in decades.

Phil Makepeace

Post by Phil Makepeace » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:05 am

Steve Barrett and Graeme Oswald both reached 3/3 at Great Yarmouth 2007. The former beat Howell and Gordon in consecutive rounds.