British Chess Championships 2010

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Ben Purton

Re: British Chess Championships 2010

Post by Ben Purton » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:23 am

If you come are you allowed to use the gym at the uni?
I love sleep, I need 8 hours a day and about 10 at night - Bill Hicks
I would die happy if I beat Wood Green in the Eastman Cup final - Richmond LL captain.
Hating the Yankees since 2002. Hating the Jets since 2001.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:35 am

This rather odd sports called chess is using the main gym areas in Canterbury. I cannot remember whether there was any agreement on using facilities elsewhere (there was about the cricket match and any football matches). I imagine not. For example, if you wish to join in the dance classes - which will be held in the same building as the chess- then presumably there is a charge. I don't think it would be proper to attend a dance class during your game, but I am very old-fashioned and moreover that hall will presumably not be in the chess playing venue.

Stewart Reuben

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:39 am

Stewart Reuben wrote:I don't think it would be proper to attend a dance class during your game
That's easy enough to get around. The arbiter can just exclude it from the designated playing area, which the players are not allowed to leave under 12.2.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:47 pm

Alex <That's easy enough to get around. The arbiter can just exclude it from the designated playing area, which the players are not allowed to leave under 12.2.<

I was making what is called technically a 'joke'. Actually read the Laws and you will find that players are allowed to leave the playing AREA when it is not their move. They are NOT allowed to leave the playing VENUE during the game as in my previous blog.

Stewart Reuben

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:57 pm

Stewart Reuben wrote: I was making what is called technically a 'joke'. Actually read the Laws and you will find that players are allowed to leave the playing AREA when it is not their move. They are NOT allowed to leave the playing VENUE during the game as in my previous blog.
Yes, that's true...

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:02 pm

Stewart Reuben wrote: I was making what is called technically a 'joke'.
Stewart Reuben
Stewart,

Can you confirm which section of the laws where the definition of a "joke" can be found? :D

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:07 pm

Sean Hewitt wrote: Can you confirm which section of the laws where the definition of a "joke" can be found? :D
Is there a bit referring to Ilyumzhinov in there? :lol:

Adam Raoof

Post by Adam Raoof » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:13 pm

Sean Hewitt wrote:
Not according to the official website Adam
http://www.britishchess2010.com/entrants.htm wrote:Entrants

225 @ 8th June. Ratings from FIDE 1st March 2010.

BRITISH CHAMPIONSHIP (19 players)
ADAMS, Michael, 2697g; PERT, Richard G, 2457m; GREET, Andrew N, 2433m; SLAVIN, Alexei, 2368f; LITTLEWOOD, Paul E, 2361m; CONSTANTINOU, Peter, 2302f; RUDD, Jack, 2267m; ADDISON, Brett, 2235; CHAPMAN, Terry PD, 2231; HELBIG, Paul, 2165; RICH, Mark C, 2151; GOODGER, Martyn, 2141; JOSSE, Mark, 2096; SENIOR, Gary, 2069; FEGAN, Chris, 2055; MACKLE, Dominic, 2021; VRUBL, Jaroslav, 2019; COMBIE, Alexander, 1983; DINES, Sheila J, 1931;
Peter Wells has confirmed that he is playing in the British Championships this year.

I am also sure that there are several other titled players with forms still to post!

Adam
Adam Raoof IA, IO
Chess England Events - https://chessengland.com/
The Chess Circuit - https://chesscircuit.substack.com/
Don’t stop playing chess!

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:48 pm

Adam Raoof wrote: I am also sure that there are several other titled players with forms still to post!

Adam
Fingers crossed. I know of three GMs who will definitely not be playing. And they've all come to the same conclusion. £800 to play the event including food and accommodation. No conditions to offset this. Mickey playing pretty much rules out first prize. Outright second gets £2500 so they are effectively backing themselves at 2-1 to come outright 2nd which is not an attractive punt.

Alan Walton

Post by Alan Walton » Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:01 pm

Just a quick question

Is the British Championship one of the weakest national champs in relation to available players?

It seems to me that every other "top" country have very strong national champs, as either an all-play-all or a very restricted entry swiss tournament

Perhaps this is why sponsership is hard to come by, too much dilution

Richard Cowan

Post by Richard Cowan » Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:06 pm

So, potentially no-one who finished 1-10 from last year? that's a little disappointing... :(

Rob Thompson

Post by Rob Thompson » Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:11 pm

Sean Hewitt wrote:
Adam Raoof wrote: I am also sure that there are several other titled players with forms still to post!

Adam
Fingers crossed. I know of three GMs who will definitely not be playing. And they've all come to the same conclusion. £800 to play the event including food and accommodation. No conditions to offset this. Mickey playing pretty much rules out first prize. Outright second gets £2500 so they are effectively backing themselves at 2-1 to come outright 2nd which is not an attractive punt.
However, the more GMs that don't play, the better the odds of second become. It'd be interesting to see where the equilibrium point is
True glory lies in doing what deserves to be written; in writing what deserves to be read.

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:23 pm

Sean Hewitt wrote:

Adam
If you take the cheapest accommodation then that's a lot of food (and presumably drink)! Should cost of food enter the equation? I suppose it depends if you are playing somewhere else instead.

BTW does the online accommodation website work?

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:37 pm

Richard Bates wrote:Should cost of food enter the equation? I suppose it depends if you are playing somewhere else instead.
Surely it depends on whether you want the GM to starve?

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:44 pm

Sean Hewitt wrote:
Richard Bates wrote:Should cost of food enter the equation? I suppose it depends if you are playing somewhere else instead.
Surely it depends on whether you want the GM to starve?
No, the fairly obvious point is that if the choice is between playing at the British, and not playing anywhere, then the only marginal cost is the cost of accommodation (and travel). Unless playing chess requires one to eat more food than normal. Although if avoiding starvation were the issue i reckon you could get by on about £50 for the fortnight! ;)