British Chess Championships 2010

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Trefor Owens
Posts: 144
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:24 am
Location: Sittingbourne Kent
Contact:

Re: British Chess Championships 2010

Post by Trefor Owens » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:42 am

After some weekend(CIH) work I am now in a position to join the ECF - am I still in time to play in one of the Weekenders?

Thanks
Trefor

User avatar
Adam Raoof
Posts: 2350
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: NW4 4UY
Contact:

Re: British Chess Championships 2010

Post by Adam Raoof » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:49 am

Trefor Owens wrote:After some weekend(CIH) work I am now in a position to join the ECF - am I still in time to play in one of the Weekenders?

Thanks
Trefor
Of course! But posting here does not constitute an entry ;-)

Trefor Owens
Posts: 144
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:24 am
Location: Sittingbourne Kent
Contact:

Re: British Chess Championships 2010

Post by Trefor Owens » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:52 am

Adam Raoof wrote:
Trefor Owens wrote:After some weekend(CIH) work I am now in a position to join the ECF - am I still in time to play in one of the Weekenders?

Thanks
Trefor
Of course! But posting here does not constitute an entry ;-)
LOL I can pay my entry fee by paypal - i did this a week ago in fact, but I need an ECF membership number, can I get one over the phone? Thanks again :)

User avatar
Adam Raoof
Posts: 2350
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: NW4 4UY
Contact:

Re: British Chess Championships 2010

Post by Adam Raoof » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:00 am

Trefor Owens wrote:
Adam Raoof wrote:
Trefor Owens wrote:After some weekend(CIH) work I am now in a position to join the ECF - am I still in time to play in one of the Weekenders?

Thanks
Trefor
Of course! But posting here does not constitute an entry ;-)
LOL I can pay my entry fee by paypal - i did this a week ago in fact, but I need an ECF membership number, can I get one over the phone? Thanks again :)
http://www.englishchess.org.uk/ and ring the number top right to contact the office!

Trefor Owens
Posts: 144
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:24 am
Location: Sittingbourne Kent
Contact:

Re: British Chess Championships 2010

Post by Trefor Owens » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:36 am

My daughter phoned the ECF office for me (she had offered to pay on her card) she was told to either post the application form or drive to Canterbury and talk to Roger Edwards/David Welch. I think she is on her way to Canterbury now, hopefully I may well be able to play!

The beauty of having children :)
Trefor

although it does make up for the hundreds of hours I spent taxiing her to various tournaments when she was younger!
:lol:

Matthew Turner
Posts: 2694
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 11:54 am

Re: British Chess Championships 2010

Post by Matthew Turner » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:18 pm

I don't expect many surprises in round 1, but I would pick out Snape - Houska as a potential upset.
For the record I have layed a bit of Adams at 1.29 to keep an interest.

Jonathan Bryant
Posts: 3136
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 3:54 pm

Re: British Chess Championships 2010

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:23 pm

Matthew Turner wrote:I don't expect many surprises in round 1, but ...
Well it wouldn't be a surprise if you expected it would it? ;-)

[Didn't Snape beat Simon Williams at Hastings btw?]


Eames has obvioulsy decided that World Class GMs don't like it up 'em. Perhaps he remembered Simon Williams - David Howell from last year?

Jonathan Bryant
Posts: 3136
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 3:54 pm

Re: British Chess Championships 2010

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:25 pm

Since I'm here ... I thought the #1 seed automatically got White in round 1? Apparently not.

John Upham
Posts: 4302
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:29 am
Location: Cove, Hampshire, England.
Contact:

Re: British Chess Championships 2010

Post by John Upham » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:27 pm

Is their per chance a web cam in the commentary room?

I ask this every year in case it occurs to someone (other than myself) to be a good idea.

I'm in the Broadcasts room of PlayChess in case anyone wishes to discuss the games with the Robot and myself!

Eames - Adams could be amusing.

Conquest - Chapman could also be tasty.
Last edited by John Upham on Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Alan Walton
Posts: 1247
Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:33 pm
Location: Oldham

Re: British Chess Championships 2010

Post by Alan Walton » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:29 pm

Jonathan,

From what I gather in an ordinary Swiss draw the top seed will play Black, unless they do something like the e2e4 tournaments or draw lots

Alan

David Sedgwick
Posts: 3409
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:56 pm
Location: Croydon

Re: British Chess Championships 2010

Post by David Sedgwick » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:53 pm

Jonathan Bryant wrote:Since I'm here ... I thought the #1 seed automatically got White in round 1? Apparently not.
Alan Walton wrote:From what I gather in an ordinary Swiss draw the top seed will play Black, unless they do something like the e2e4 tournaments or draw lots.
I'm afraid neither statement is correct.

You either determine the colour of the top seed randomly, including Sean Hewitt's imaginative methods, or you alternate from year to year.

In the British Championship, the rule is that the top seed has White in the odd numbered years and Black in the even numbered years.

Eoin Devane
Posts: 517
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:21 pm
Location: Cambridge

Re: British Chess Championships 2010

Post by Eoin Devane » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:58 pm

John Upham wrote:I'm in the Broadcasts room of PlayChess in case anyone wishes to discuss the games with the Robot and myself!
I see you! :lol:

benedgell
Posts: 1252
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:43 pm
Location: Somerset
Contact:

Re: British Chess Championships 2010

Post by benedgell » Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:04 pm

Arkell- Rudd was the game I was looking forward to seeing in rd.1, and boards 7-12 aren't displaying :(

User avatar
Carl Hibbard
Posts: 5726
Joined: Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:05 pm
Location: Evesham

Re: British Chess Championships 2010

Post by Carl Hibbard » Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:21 pm

benedgell wrote:Arkell- Rudd was the game I was looking forward to seeing in rd.1, and boards 7-12 aren't displaying :(
Nothing appears to be being uploaded from site on 7-12 so it isn't the actual hosting server

Dave?
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Alex McFarlane
Posts: 1411
Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:52 pm

Re: British Chess Championships 2010

Post by Alex McFarlane » Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:28 pm

Sorry don't know about games being displayed. I've been a little bit busy.

David is of course correct about colours for the top tournament - other events are random.

There will be an attempt to broadcast the Andrew Martin commentary but I'm not sure it will be today especially if they are having trouble with the live boards.

JACK BEAT KEITH!!!

Don't know if that means Keith will be champion or not this year - Matthew you might consider a little wager. Do they do each way bets?

Back to work now. Might see some of you at the Sports Centre here at the Univ of Kent, Canterbury. Remember there are no championship games on Sunday if you are planning a visit.

Post Reply