Introducing a new rule in chess!

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Eoin Devane

Re: Introducing a new rule in chess!

Post by Eoin Devane » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:15 pm

Alex - how frequently would draw offers have to be made for you to consider it a distraction? Is there any sort of arbiter's guideline or is it more an instinctive kind of thing?

James Pratt

Post by James Pratt » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:23 pm

I received three proposals in a recent game, two indecent and one of marriage. I wrote them on my scoresheet "(=)" and neither of us said check.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:26 pm

What if one player marks a = and the persistent offerer doesn't? Who do you believe?

matt_ward

Post by matt_ward » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:36 pm

Well I was offered a draw in the game about 5 times. I did win so, but I think if they do it as a distraction and the arbiter sees it as a cause of distraction to try put your opponent off there should be a disciplinary action taken.

For example I believe they should lose the game automatically by forfeit.

Matt.

matt_ward

Post by matt_ward » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:44 pm

Alex, that is an extraordinary comment, and your 100% right, I would not know what they would do I presume they would ask anyone around the game, however why would you put draw sign on your scores if they did not constantly ask.

There would be more reason for the offerer not to put it doesn't if he had made a ridiculous number of offers, in which he might believe the arbiter would tell him off.

Matt.

J T Melsom

Post by J T Melsom » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:45 pm

You can of course be distracted by a single offer of a draw, if the offer is made immediately after the opponent has played a weak move. Knowing my opponents conduct to be discourteous, caused me to lose focus and fail to convert what should have been a straightforward endgame. And the player concerned is a reluctant resigner as well.

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:50 pm

matt_ward wrote:Alex, that is an extraordinary comment, and your 100% right, I would not know what they would do I presume they would ask anyone around the game, however why would you put draw sign on your scores if they did not constantly ask.
You've answered that question in your previous post, in which you said:
matt_ward wrote:I think if they do it as a distraction and the arbiter sees it as a cause of distraction to try put your opponent off there should be a disciplinary action taken.

For example I believe they should lose the game automatically by forfeit.
Your proposals make it easier for dishonest players to win games by false claims. Be aware of this.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:58 pm

matt_ward wrote:Alex, that is an extraordinary comment, and your 100% right, I would not know what they would do I presume they would ask anyone around the game, however why would you put draw sign on your scores if they did not constantly ask.
I doubt it; I don't think you can ask players outside of the game for advice on any issue like this. I could be wrong, but from a common sense point of view, it would make sense.

Unless, of course, players not involved in the particular game had the same complaint. If you're sat next to a guy who keeps offering a draw, then you might well be distracted, even though it's not your game. In which case, what penalty do you apply? There might be a case where someone wins the game through his opponent causing a distraction, even though he didn't claim to be distracted himself.

matt_ward

Post by matt_ward » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:59 pm

Jack these false claims would be recognizable if there were marks on the scoresheets, of the draws when they were offered, and the arbiter could have the decisive decision in deterring the outcome of the game for if any reason it's unclear.

Matt. :D :D :D

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:02 pm

matt_ward wrote: the arbiter could have the decisive decision
As opposed to an indecisive decision? :wink:

matt_ward

Post by matt_ward » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:04 pm

Alex, your probably right on the first comment it would seem logical no doubt. In that case there wouldn't be a issue Alex would there.

Matt.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:06 pm

Because you've misunderstood. I'm saying that Player A keeps offering the draws wouldn't mark them on his scoresheet, while Player B does. So there are competing claims on the scoresheets. The arbiter can't decide between:
a) Player A is repeatedly offering a draw and Player B's scoresheet disagrees.
b) Player B is making a false accusation about the draw offers.

How can the arbiter decide between a) and b) if he can't seek any external assistance from others?

To answer my own question, he would probably plump for b), because under your rule, he wouldn't have to start defaulting people. He can just stand there and watch the next few moves to see if a) is happening.

matt_ward

Post by matt_ward » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:16 pm

Alex, the point I was refering is that you would need to seek advice, I mean for example I also had an incident in recent time in the league whilst my game was in progress someone wrote "?" on move one on my scoresheet because I didn't play his opening he studied with me. Is this not breaking the rules. I will not be mentioning names.

But if there was an arbiter what actioned could or would of been taken. I mean nothing did happen I couldn't claim the result or anything it's a strange scenario.

This was a adult aswell.

Matt.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:20 pm

matt_ward wrote: But if there was an arbiter what actioned could or would of been taken. I mean nothing did happen I couldn't claim the result or anything it's a strange scenario.
What action could have been taken? Don't know. Would the arbiter have had the nerve to have enforced such a penalty? I doubt it.
matt_ward wrote:I also had an incident in recent time in the league whilst my game was in progress someone wrote "?" on move one on my scoresheet because I didn't play his opening he studied with me. Is this not breaking the rules. I will not be mentioning names.
Well, he could be defaulted, because it could easily be construed as notes, which are illegal. Would an arbiter default him? Again, I doubt they'd have the nerve...

But then, why should you be penalised for someone else's writing on your scoresheet?

Eoin Devane

Post by Eoin Devane » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:38 pm

By pointing out the draw notation issue, I wasn't intending to suggest that we start defaulting people for such matters as notational irregularities. Far from it, as people will know, I'm very much against draconian rules in chess. I was merely pointing out an interesting point in the rules that many players seem unaware of. It is interesting though that there is a regulation such as this that is so regularly broken, mostly unwittingly, yet a large section of the chess community seems staunchly against any derogation from FIDE rules, as witnessed by the frequent interesting debates on here over rules issues.