Right or Wrong?

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Carl Hibbard

Right or Wrong?

Post by Carl Hibbard » Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:18 pm

As we approach post number 30,000 I am going to risk asking what is this forum doing right and what is it doing wrong?

I have had some debate recently with someone who was really keen to register with an anonymous handle but I refused, is that still the policy people prefer?
Has our policy regarding moderation been working well or not?
What should this forum be doing that it isn't doing already?

Etc.

Thoughts welcomed :)
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Sean Hewitt

Re: Right or Wrong?

Post by Sean Hewitt » Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:21 pm

stick with what you're doing carl, 30000 posts can't be wrong!!

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:22 pm

Not so much right or wrong, but a suggestion: Did you get around to doing something where you can have chess diagrams (preferably that can be played through...)?

No anonymous handles.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:26 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote:Not so much right or wrong, but a suggestion: Did you get around to doing something where you can have chess diagrams (preferably that can be played through...)?

No anonymous handles.
No Alex I must admit I forgot about the chess replay type scenario so I will look into that one again promise :oops:

Is the site reliable and fast enough, do people ever have problems getting to or posting on the site, do I need to spend a little extra cash to get it to go a little faster as it will actually slow as the number of posts increases?
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:35 pm

For me, I have no problems with the speed. I haven't ever noticed it being slow.

Mike Truran

Post by Mike Truran » Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:01 pm

The forum is excellent - you could no doubt tinker with it here and here, but fundamentally it's spot on.

Peter Turner

Post by Peter Turner » Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:14 pm

Carl, no problems and as Mike says you can always, as you already do, tinker here and there. We may get upset occasionally with some of the comments but it would be of no use at all if everyone just went around patting each other on the back. I know more now about the range of opinions concerning the ECF and chess in general than I ever did when Junior Director for 8 years or so.
Many thanks and keep up the good work.
Regards
Peter Turner

John Moore

Post by John Moore » Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:42 pm

Hi Carl I think the forum works well for which all of us should thank you - not forgetting Jack and his sterling efforts as the other moderator. Hope there aren't more moderators who I'm leaving out here.

There is a strong element of self-regulation to stop people being too stupid - as I well know when I suggested Vera Menchik wasn't up to much and Leonard B put me very firmly, and quite rightly, in my place.

Carry on the good work is all I can suggest although it might be interesting to know who say the top twenty posters are, but not if it involves you in any work and not if it encourages Alex to think it's an Olympic event :lol:

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:58 pm

John Moore wrote:Carry on the good work is all I can suggest although it might be interesting to know who say the top twenty posters are, but not if it involves you in any work and not if it encourages Alex to think it's an Olympic event :lol:
You select the 'members' option and then click on the 'posts' column on the screen that comes up - do that click twice and you see who the top posters are
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

John Moore

Post by John Moore » Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:06 pm

Thanks Carl - I seem to remember Ben P saying he wasn't that interested when he first joined.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:17 pm

John Moore wrote:Carry on the good work is all I can suggest although it might be interesting to know who say the top twenty posters are, but not if it involves you in any work and not if it encourages Alex to think it's an Olympic event :lol:
Pffft. I have too much time on my hands. :oops:

isaac wallis

Post by isaac wallis » Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:41 pm

But there are people on here with anonymous handles. One rather strong player has registered with an anagram of their name and no-one seems to have noticed. :lol: I won't comment further. And no it's not me!

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:45 pm

isaac wallis wrote:But there are people on here with anonymous handles. One rather strong player has registered with an anagram of their name and no-one seems to have noticed. :lol: I won't comment further. And no it's not me!
Hmm, the football has my attention at the moment but that one is now on my list....
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Ben Purton

Post by Ben Purton » Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:58 pm

Disturbingly this is the forum I least post on out of my 4 regular forums- PatsFans , Krav Maga and Politics
I love sleep, I need 8 hours a day and about 10 at night - Bill Hicks
I would die happy if I beat Wood Green in the Eastman Cup final - Richmond LL captain.
Hating the Yankees since 2002. Hating the Jets since 2001.

Ben Purton

Post by Ben Purton » Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:58 pm

Ranked:

1) Krav Maga
2) PatsFans
3) Betfair Forum
4) ECF
5) Politics
I love sleep, I need 8 hours a day and about 10 at night - Bill Hicks
I would die happy if I beat Wood Green in the Eastman Cup final - Richmond LL captain.
Hating the Yankees since 2002. Hating the Jets since 2001.