BCM: Change of Editor

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
John Saunders

BCM: Change of Editor

Post by John Saunders » Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:01 pm

Here's some hot news from British Chess Magazine...

The press release that follows was written by BCM chairman Shaun Taulbut. I'll just add a few words of my own. I shall be sorry to be leaving BCM after such a long time but am looking forward to new opportunities. I'd like to pass on my thanks to BCM subscribers who have supported us so loyally and hope you continue to do so under the new editor. Also, my thanks go to everybody here at the forum who has said nice things about BCM and helped me in all sorts of ways.
PRESS RELEASE

After eleven years as Editor of the British Chess Magazine, John Saunders will be leaving his position with effect from the end of July 2010. The Directors of the company wish to thank John for his outstanding contribution to the magazine over the period, and to wish him all the best for the future.

At the same time, we are delighted to announce that John’s successor as Editor will be FM Steve Giddins. Steve needs little introduction to BCM readers or the British chess community in general, having been a regular contributor to the BCM in the past. He is also a well-known chess author, journalist and translator, whose books have been warmly received, and whose witty and informative tournament reporting has become a regular feature of such major British chess events as Hastings and the Staunton Memorial.

The past few years have been challenging times for printed media of all kinds, as the growth of the internet has changed the face of traditional journalism. That has been as true of the chess world as any other. Every magazine needs to respond to these challenges, and Steve has some exciting plans for new features and contributors, which will be implemented in the BCM over the succeeding months.

As the BCM heads towards the end of its 130th year of continuous publication, the existing Directors remain fully committed to the business and look forward to seeing it develop. We wish to thank all our readers for their loyal support, and hope that a new generation of readers will join them in supporting the magazine under its new editor.

Shaun Taulbut - Chairman
Stephen Lowe - Director
Personal Twitter @johnchess
Britbase https://www.britbase.info
(I prefer email to PM - contact me via this link - https://www.saund.org.uk/email.html)

David Sedgwick

Re: BCM: Change of Editor

Post by David Sedgwick » Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:23 pm

Only you could have chosen to post the above at 3.01 pm on Wednesday 23rd June, you Welsh ...

I'd like to send you my good wishes for the future. Further comment will have to await a more propitious time.

Alex McFarlane

Post by Alex McFarlane » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:44 pm

I noticed the timing too. But I was puzzled that he wasn't playing the part of a true Celt and cheering on Slovenia!!!

But seriously John. Good luck in the future.

Simon Spivack

Post by Simon Spivack » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:10 pm

I, too, wish John good luck in his endeavours.

John wrote a good obituary of Smyslov, something I should have mentioned at the time. It cannot have been easy having to write so many articles.

I presume that John will retain control of Britbase.

John Saunders

Post by John Saunders » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:30 pm

Many thanks for the kind words.

Despite my Scots/Welsh roots, I do support England's football team at tournaments since the land of my fathers (and mothers) rarely put in an appearance (and because I was born, brought up and live in England). I remember supporting England in the 1966 final in the company of two, shall we say, non-supporting adults - my Welsh father and Scottish uncle, both of whom poured cold water on England's success. But I wouldn't say that they supported England's opponents that day because, only two decades or so previously, they had both borne arms against them! My father is now 92 and has a very poor memory but he still remembers (and chortles over) England's 1-0 loss to USA in 1950! No doubt next time he sees me he will point out that England finished below USA this year (which they didn't in 1950).

Britbase is my personal possession so, yes, I shall continue to maintain it.
(I prefer email to PM - contact me via this link - https://www.saund.org.uk/email.html)

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:10 am

Best of luck for the future John. Perhaps you will find time some time to play? Even tennis has two adjournment sessions nowadays!
"Kevin was the arbiter and was very patient. " Nick Grey

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:29 am

Followers of John on Twitter will have seen his recent tweets.

For example,

A trending topic #floweryfilms lead to:
Myrtle on the Orchid Express
The Spanish Gardenia
Pyracanthus of the Caribbean

You get the idea.

Does this mean we have to suffer even more of this now? :P

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:12 am

Kevin Thurlow wrote:Best of luck for the future John. Perhaps you will find time some time to play? Even tennis has two adjournment sessions nowadays!
Telling people that it is perfectly normal to spend 6hrs playing a game of chess just won't be the same any more! They've certainly beaten my personal "longest game" of just short of 10hrs across 3 sessions.

John Saunders

Post by John Saunders » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:15 am

Alex Holowczak wrote:Followers of John on Twitter will have seen his recent tweets.

For example,

A trending topic #floweryfilms lead to:
Myrtle on the Orchid Express
The Spanish Gardenia
Pyracanthus of the Caribbean

You get the idea.

Does this mean we have to suffer even more of this now? :P
You missed the one I was most proud of: "Bring me the Head of Alfredo Gardenia". And, to answer your question, probably yes. I am proud of my unofficial title of 'world's worst punster' (bestowed by Fred Friedel) and I mean to retain it as long as possible.

I would be perfectly happy to adjudicate that tennis match should my services be required. Gizza job.

David Lettington

Post by David Lettington » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:54 am

Nice puns. How about "Back to the Fuchsia" of course starring Michael J Foxglove?

John Saunders

Post by John Saunders » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:59 am

Yes, several Tweebs bagged the 'Fuchsia' pun - adding 'Foxglove' is a very nice touch. Well done!

But perhaps we incorrigible punsters should adjourn to Twitter before one of the forum admins shows us a yellow card...

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:05 pm

David Sedgwick wrote:Only you could have chosen to post the above at 3.01 pm on Wednesday 23rd June, you Welsh ...
Alex McFarlane wrote:I was puzzled that [John] wasn't playing the part of a true Celt and cheering on Slovenia
John Saunders wrote:I do support England's football team at tournaments .......... I was born, brought up and live in England.
I stand corrected. Only you could have chosen to post at 3.01 pm on Wednesday 23rd June, you PSEUDO-Welsh ...

Kevin Thurlow wrote:Perhaps you will find time some time to play?
John, it would be good to see you playing for the Surrey county team next season. The Quick Play Finish phase is a tolerable thirty minutes each.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:11 pm

"Perhaps you will find time some time to play?

John, it would be good to see you playing for the Surrey county team next season. The Quick Play Finish phase is a tolerable thirty minutes each."

The chess world needs someone with a complete aversion to moving the c-pawn two squares (with either colour.)

I can't think of any flowery films at present, but my favourite Welsh one was "Sheepless in Seattle".
"Kevin was the arbiter and was very patient. " Nick Grey

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:43 pm

John Saunders wrote: You missed the one I was most proud of: "Bring me the Head of Alfredo Gardenia". And, to answer your question, probably yes. I am proud of my unofficial title of 'world's worst punster' (bestowed by Fred Friedel) and I mean to retain it as long as possible.
As long as you stick to the Book/Film club round, and you don't do One Song to the Tune of Another...

John Saunders

Post by John Saunders » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:46 pm

Et tu, Kevin? Talk about kicking a man when he's down...
David Sedgwick wrote:John, it would be good to see you playing for the Surrey county team next season. The Quick Play Finish phase is a tolerable thirty minutes each.
David, I was on the point of penning you an email to say 'yes, I'd love to' when I read this...
Kevin Thurlow wrote:The chess world needs someone with a complete aversion to moving the c-pawn two squares (with either colour.)
... and realised Kevin had revealed the entirety of my opening secrets to the world. 'Thus die, Saunders'.

Clearly, some people on the forum now feel it is open season to tease me since I can no longer take revenge on them in the august pages of the BCM. But they are wrong. Very wrong. For I can indeed write about them in the August pages of the BCM. Still two more issues to go, chaps. Possible articles: "Worst Arbiting Decisions Ever", "Unexpurgated, Never-Before-Revealed Secrets of Redhill Chess Club". Be afraid, Be very afraid.