Mureck, Austria, Under 14 event , 4 to 12 August

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Mike Truran

Mureck, Austria, Under 14 event , 4 to 12 August

Post by Mike Truran » Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:35 am

This from the Chess Scotland site. Does anybody know how this works for English entrants? Is it something the ECF coordinates?

8th EUROPEAN UNION
YOUTH CHESS
CHAMPIONSHIP 8 - 14

under the patronage of the European Chess Union
Mureck, August 3 –12, 2010

General regulations

1. Invitation
The Austrian Chess Federation has the honour of inviting your Chess Federation to participate in the European Union Youth Chess Championship 2010 at Mureck.
2. Participation
Each Federation can enter one player, boy or girl in any of the categories of under 8, 10, 12 and 14 as of January 1st, 2010.

Boys and girls will play in the same tournament, but with two separate scores. So we will have two European Union Youth Champions, one for the girls and one for the boys. Additional (extra) players can also be registered.
3. Registration - Conditions of participation
Entry forms must be sent back not later than
June 30th, 2010 by telefax or email.

Registration must mention the surname/s, first name/s, FIDE ID number, FIDE or National rating of each player. We also need the telephone, email/fax number of the delegation chief and of the person in charge of the federation. Please use the registration form enclosed. All travel expenses must be paid by the participants or their National Federation. Each player (invited or extra) has to pay the amount of Euros 60,- to the Organizing Committee when registering or on arrival at Mureck.

Transport from Graz airport or central station to Mureck and back will be free of charge.
4. Accommodation and meals
Board and lodging will be provided at Mureck or in its close surroundings. The Organising Committee can accommodate invited participants and a coach in double or triple rooms or in apartments. Free board and lodging is offered to players as well as to one coach per federation from Tuesday 3 (dinner) to Thursday 12 August (lunch).
Payments (Euros only) for all extra players and accompanying persons must be made in advance or in cash on arrival at Mureck.

Sean Hewitt

Re: Mureck, Austria, Under 14 event , 4 to 12 August

Post by Sean Hewitt » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:01 am

I think Peter Turner co-ordinates. As far as I have heard, anyone can go.

Perhaps the ECF aren't involved because it always clashes with the British?

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:59 am

Mike Truran wrote:This from the Chess Scotland site. Does anybody know how this works for English entrants? Is it something the ECF coordinates?

8th EUROPEAN UNION
YOUTH CHESS
CHAMPIONSHIP 8 - 14

It's an official European Chess Union event, but only players from within the European Union can play. The equivalent adult event, the EU Individual Championship, was held in Liverpool in 2006 and 2008.

A zipped folder containing full information can be found at http://www.europechess.net/wp-content/u ... 4_2010.zip

My understanding is that, as it's an official ECU event, all participants have to be nominated by their Federation. Hence it's up to the ECF to decide which English players can or may take part. We debated ECF policy extensively on this thread: http://www.ecforum.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1340

I have no idea whether or not the ECF is sending any players, nor do I know anything about the relevant decision making processes. The responsibility lies with Peter Purland as ECF Director of Junior Chess.

Peter Turner

Post by Peter Turner » Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:14 pm

Good afternoon

England have been represented at every EU Youth Championships. Whilst Junior Director I had an invitation from the organiser to send a team to the 1st EU championships which was held in Graz but has been in Mureck every year since.
I'm just in the middle of something at the moment but will send more information later today.

Regards

Peter Turner

Peter Turner

Post by Peter Turner » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:10 pm

David Sedgwick wrote:
Mike Truran wrote:This from the Chess Scotland site. Does anybody know how this works for English entrants? Is it something the ECF coordinates?

8th EUROPEAN UNION
YOUTH CHESS
CHAMPIONSHIP 8 - 14

It's an official European Chess Union event, but only players from within the European Union can play. The equivalent adult event, the EU Individual Championship, was held in Liverpool in 2006 and 2008.

A zipped folder containing full information can be found at http://www.europechess.net/wp-content/u ... 4_2010.zip

My understanding is that, as it's an official ECU event, all participants have to be nominated by their Federation. Hence it's up to the ECF to decide which English players can or may take part. We debated ECF policy extensively on this thread: http://www.ecforum.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1340

I have no idea whether or not the ECF is sending any players, nor do I know anything about the relevant decision making processes. The responsibility lies with Peter Purland as ECF Director of Junior Chess.
From Peter Turner

I have managed and organised, with help from others, the England teams competing at all the EU Youth Championships. In the first year the invitation was quite late and I only managed to take a team of 2 girls & 2 boys with GM Neil McDonald as coach. I was Junior Director (JD) at the time and managed to raise some money to support the endevour. Funding a team to this event has always been a problem as, being a new event, it was not on the list of major European and World Championships for which the JD was mandated to organise and support from the junior budget. Over the years the event has been supported by the BCF YCT, Winton Capital Management and net income from the Certificate of Excellence.
After the first year we have sent teams of between 10 and 12 supported by 2 or 3 excellent coaches. The tournament usually clashes with the British Championships thus there are always difficult choices for the youngsters to make. The teams consist of youngsters who may have just missed out on selection to the ECF junior teams going to World & European Championships, or youngsters who have been selected but short on international experience or sometimes just good kids who support our junior system.
I cannot recall an 'organised' group from Scotland but both Wales and Ireland have competed on several occasions. I have encouraged the other home nations to compete because it is very cost effective. One player in each age group plus a coach or manager gets free accommodation. It is a well organised and friendly event, we have always been made most welcome.
I have always arranged for reports and photographs to be sent to the ECF Office for use on the website and sent a report for the ECF magazine. These reports should be in the archives somewhere.
This year we have 11 youngsters competing.

Regards

Peter T