New look CHESS magazine

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
John Upham

New look CHESS magazine

Post by John Upham » Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:38 pm

Looked through the July 2010 edition of CHESS magazine.

I'm very impressed and the new look is refreshing. :D

The diagrams (from ChessBase?) are much clearer (in my opinion).

The editorial mentions that Jimmy Adams is unwell. :( Let us all hope for a speedy recovery! :D
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Phil Neatherway

Re: New look CHESS magazine

Post by Phil Neatherway » Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:57 pm

So a challenge for the new editor of BCM!

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Intrigued about this "new look" - anybody got a pic?? :)

Re the BCM - it is fair to say there is some disquiet about the new appointment (eg the latest piece in the Streatham/Brixton blog)
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

matt_ward

Post by matt_ward » Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:47 pm

I must admit also it is extremely impressive I also have this 2010 Chess Magazine, it is definitely worth getting.

Kind Regards Matt.

John Moore

Post by John Moore » Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:15 pm

Best wishes to Jimmy Adams. It would be helpful, I imagine, if Steve Giddins could stick something (anything) on the website. Now we know why the site wasn't updated!

John Moore

Post by John Moore » Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:19 pm

I mean the BCM Website - sorry

Jon Mahony

Post by Jon Mahony » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:28 pm

Sounds interesting - I allowed my subscription to laps last year, because a felt the mag was getting a little stale, might give it another pop.
"When you see a good move, look for a better one!" - Lasker

Matt Read

Post by Matt Read » Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:19 pm

Thanks for the kind comments about the new look of the magazine... We really welcome the feedback.

If members of this forum who don't subscribe to CHESS would like to check out the new look then they can get a free sample copy if they email me - [email protected]

Graham Borrowdale

Post by Graham Borrowdale » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:01 pm

Has anyone actually seen the July BCM yet? Both of the previous issues have been extremely late, and the website has gone cold. Mr Giddins will have some catching up to do when he takes over.

Phil Neatherway

Post by Phil Neatherway » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:55 am

I have not had July BCM yet. On another thread, John S said that July would be his last issue.

John Saunders

Post by John Saunders » Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:00 pm

The July BCM has been printed and should be with subscribers any day now. It's not my last as editor - that will be the August issue.
Personal Twitter @johnchess
Britbase https://www.britbase.info
(I prefer email to PM - contact me via this link - https://www.saund.org.uk/email.html)

Paul Buswell

Post by Paul Buswell » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:42 pm

Matt Read wrote:Thanks for the kind comments about the new look of the magazine... We really welcome the feedback.

If members of this forum who don't subscribe to CHESS would like to check out the new look then they can get a free sample copy if they email me - [email protected]
Sorry, have to say that I do not like the new look. De gustibus non est disputandum.

PB

James Pratt

Post by James Pratt » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:02 pm

I have subscribed to CHESS all my life and have every back number going back to Volume 1, September 1935.

The latest is crude, lacks figurines, branishes over-sized photos, seemingly lacks artistic variety. It reminded me of the first efforts when Maxwell bought the mag from BH Wood. It has been reducing page content for a while now, though naturally quality is here.

Naturally with Jimmy Adams ill they may be under pressure. I'll wait and see. :shock:

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:19 pm

James Pratt wrote:I have subscribed to CHESS all my life and have every back number going back to Volume 1, September 1935
Lucky man - to get a whole run of the BHW issues is a long-standing dream of mine 8)

To tell the truth, the mag had been going downhill in the last few years before Barry called it a day, as his age and infirmity finally took their toll. But nothing prepared one for the "new look" mag that started in spring 1988. It was AWFUL, both in design and content (which was dominated to a truly unhealthy extent by - surprise, surprise - a certain rotund, self-publicizing British GM and his cronies :evil:)

It did actually pick up within a year or two - but by then many people I suspect (myself certainly amongst them) had given up getting it regularly, never to return. Let that be a warning :(
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Graham Borrowdale

Post by Graham Borrowdale » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:42 pm

Look forward to the latest BCM - thanks John. It will take a lot more than a new look Chess to make me change my allegiance.
James, do you have BCM going back to the year dot? I have only got as far back as around 1969, except 1972 of course, which for some reason never comes up for sale. Long may it continue, new editor or not.