IDLE CHESS CLUB - 2nd GM Simul - GM S.Gordon

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Andrew Wainwright

IDLE CHESS CLUB - 2nd GM Simul - GM S.Gordon

Post by Andrew Wainwright » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:38 pm

I just wanted to say thank you to GM Stephen Gordon for playing a simul match against Idle Chess Club (and guests) tonight. Stephen gave a great performance and came away with a score of 12 out of 17 matches. The 3 players who beat Stephen were G.Corcoran (also won best game prize), M.Bramson and K.Winter. The 4 players who drew with Stephen were D.Bedford, P.Kadzionis, I.Smith and W.Williams.

This was a really enjoyable event and I would 100% recommend Stephen to any other chess club looking to run a Simul event.

This was the second GM Simul my club has run now, last summer we took 5.5 out of 20 against K.Arkell.

We will 100% do this again next summer (volunteer GMs please feel free to contact me) as it's a great way for a club to bond and play chess against a GM, a chance that most of our players will never otherwise have.

Good luck at the British Stephen, I hope we helped you to warm up a little bit!

Gavin Strachan

Re: IDLE CHESS CLUB - 2nd GM Simul - GM S.Gordon

Post by Gavin Strachan » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:18 am

need to be a bit more active -idle chess club. Is that near Couch Potatoville. i bet you've never heard those quips before Andrew.

Andrew Wainwright

Post by Andrew Wainwright » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:47 am

Gavin - The best part is we play at Idle Working Mens Club! You just cant make that stuff up!!!

matt_ward

Post by matt_ward » Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:24 pm

Andrew can you give me details for S. Gordon.

I might contact him on giving a simul.

matt.

Charles W. Wood

Post by Charles W. Wood » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:28 pm

I hope many GM/IM/FM support Andrew at the (greatly named) Idle Working Mens Club. Apart from it being a place I had my 18th it is a great venue run by a amazing set of guys wanting to develop the top end of chess at the top end of the country. Andrew has found most of his support on his door step, but I hope people will travel to come and take up his well organised events. No-body has a bad word to say about them. Even though I deal at the lower end of the chess market at the moment I can't wait to throw some of ours at these super players.

I hope many come from far and wide to support this.
Charles W. Wood
Captain of Legion

Richard Thursby

Post by Richard Thursby » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:18 pm

Please forgive my naivety or ignorance, but is there any particular reason why Stephen Gordon is the only person to be denoted by his first name and not just his initial?

Andrew Wainwright

Post by Andrew Wainwright » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:56 pm

Matt - Please e-mail me about this at [email protected] and I will put you in touch with Stephen.

Richard James

Post by Richard James » Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:04 am

The Idle Working Men's Club is justifiably famous.

If you visited a village just south of Maidstone, Kent (or should that be Wessex?) you would have found, and, for all I know, perhaps could still find, the Loose Women's Institute.