NCCU and the MCF

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Mick Norris

Re: NCCU and the MCF

Post by Mick Norris » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:44 pm

Well, I made it to the meeting, which is more than can be said for anyone from Northumberland, Merseyside or Lancs :roll:

As a result of which, it wasn't the most productive use of my time, especially as despite being invited to stay for the rest of the meeting, I had to leave to pick up my vomiting daughter

Rupert Jones was there from Yorks, and gave some strident support for which I was very grateful, the Durham/Cleveland/Cheshire reps gave a genuine good response, and the two Cumbria reps appeared initially frosty to say the least, but were seeming positive by the end

We now need to meet Lancs, and it appears Yorks want to meet Lancs too

I'll say this though for the NCCU, food being provided at a meeting is much better than the MCCU :D

The big question, though, is whether brown bread is unavailable in Bradford generally, or just the Latvian Club :lol:
Any postings on here represent my personal views

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:52 am

Sounds like it went relatively well but no Lancs does seem rather 'interesting'.

I've never had brown bread at the Latvian club but then the normal matches tend to end up down in the cellar. NCCU meetings clearly get better treatment!

Ihor was busy getting a vital point for Bradford in the Yorkshire league so that worked out well too :)

Pat Ridley

Post by Pat Ridley » Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:48 pm

As Cheshire & North Wales rep, I found it very useful to hear what the MCF had to say.

We were assured that the non-attendance of Lancashire was unrelated to the MCF attendance.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:59 pm

Pat

It was nice to meet you

Thanks for taking the time to listen to what I had to say

Ihor Lewyk

Post by Ihor Lewyk » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:11 pm

Hi Mick,
Sorry I couldn't make it to the meeting on Saturday. It was very late on Saturday morning that we got a call from two of our players dropping out that I felt my priorities should change to playing chess.
I had chatted to Rupert on Friday night so I felt the Yorkshire stance would be well represented.
I'm glad you felt it was a positive meeting as well. It is often more productive to have a face to face meeting and the feedback I have had since makes me feel the NCCU still has a little life in it.
Glad you appreciated the food we are looked after well at the Latvian club but I'll explore the possibilities of shipping in brown bread for the next meeting.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:18 pm

Ihor

Thanks for that

It's not just me, Rupert mentioned the brown bread first!

We will try and meet Lancs soon, and hope after speaking to Rupert that you will too

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:13 pm

Well it sounds like progress is being made but I believe there was some hope that the NCCU/ MCF question could be put to bed for once and for all.

I'll probably be ringing Ihor at some point this week but was anything else discussed; specifically who will be filling key posts at the NCCU this year. Will other counties besides Yorks and Lancs be taking part in the Union stage of the county championships?
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:55 pm

The MCF met with Lancs on Thursday 20 February

I don't think either of us heard anything new :roll:

MCF Council meets later this month to see what we do next

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:58 pm

Mick Norris wrote:The MCF met with Lancs on Thursday 20 February

Am I having false memories, or didn't I read some time ago that the MCF's path into the NCCU had been sorted? If my memory is not failing me, has something changed?

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:23 pm

Sean Hewitt wrote:
Mick Norris wrote:The MCF met with Lancs on Thursday 20 February

Am I having false memories, or didn't I read some time ago that the MCF's path into the NCCU had been sorted? If my memory is not failing me, has something changed?
Something went wrong. The ever observant 10000+ Roger spotted the news and posted about it. Mick took him to task for commenting about things which he didn't understand. I'd better not make the same mistake.

Brian_Jones

Post by Brian_Jones » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:08 am

As somebody born in Manchester, who has played County chess for Lancashire, Yorkshire and Greater Manchester (and was involved in arbitration at the time of the dispute), I propose that you all just get on with the development of chess in the North of England. I assume that Jim Tennant-Smith has passed away and all his supporters have better things to do than continue this nonsense more than 25 years after it all began. Maybe you all become ECF Board members?

PeterFarr

Post by PeterFarr » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:23 am

Brian_Jones wrote:I assume that Jim Tennant-Smith has passed away and all his supporters have better things to do than continue this nonsense more than 25 years after it all began.
You assume wrongly, I believe.

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:29 am

PeterFarr wrote:
Brian_Jones wrote:I assume that Jim Tennant-Smith has passed away and all his supporters have better things to do than continue this nonsense more than 25 years after it all began.
You assume wrongly, I believe.
Wrongly on both counts as I believe he attended a NCCU meeting last year with a bale of documents relating to this dispute and remains well entrenched within his County.
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:12 pm

Time to bring in the Experts

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:25 am

Sounds as if a Putin approach is about all that's left