NCCU and the MCF

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
David Sedgwick

Re: NCCU and the MCF

Post by David Sedgwick » Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:38 am

Mick Norris wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 7:55 am
I am told that ... [Lancashire] have not entered any teams in the NCCU county championships this season
MartinCarpenter wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 9:03 am
Well that's thoroughly mature of them. Hopefully a short term thing.
I had been told that the Lancashire boycott was likely. At least Surrey won't have any problems with Lancashire this season.

Nevertheless, I too hope that wiser counsel will prevail soon.
Kevin Thurlow wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 9:41 am
Do the Lancashire players who actually want to play chess now transfer to GMan?
Lancashire players who are also eligible to play for Greater Manchester may well consider doing that.

Those who are not will hopefully ensure that Lancashire enter teams next season.
Kevin Thurlow wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 9:41 am
Or, here's a thought. Why not start a new Lancashire Association and ask to affiliate to ECF, as the new association is representing the players' interests? (This is supposed to be an aim of chess.) ECF would probably decline the application, which would start a whole new argument.
I suspect that that is tongue in cheek, but it is certainly premature.

Andrew Wainwright

Post by Andrew Wainwright » Wed Nov 02, 2022 12:58 pm

I'm not going to comment on the inner workings of another County organisation other than to say that I hope to see Lancashire back competing in NCCU competitions as soon as possible.

In the mean time Yorkshire, Merseyside, Northumberland, Cleveland, Cumbria and MCF will carry on with a resurgent Northern Chess scene. We are stronger together and the door is open for Lancashire to join back in whenever they feel they can do so.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Wed Nov 02, 2022 1:58 pm

"The second does feel like far too extreme a step. Must be easier, if not trivial, to get different leadership in place."

Well, yes. There must be an option to call an EGM/SGM with a "Motion of No Confidence" in the Committee, if anyone feels like it.

And yes, David is right, I wasn't being entirely serious.

Even though I originate from Yorkshire, I do wish Lancashire chess players well. Too many counties have stupid arguments and the players suffer.

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Wed Nov 02, 2022 5:10 pm

Visiting the Lancashire County Chess Association site:
Website is under maintenance

We are doing some updates on our site, and we need to be offline for a while. We will be back with you shortly!
Seems a rather strange time to do this, eh?

Paul Heaton

Post by Paul Heaton » Wed Nov 02, 2022 5:22 pm

Michael Farthing wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 5:10 pm

We are doing some updates on our site, and we need to be offline for a while. We will be back with you shortly!
It has been like that for some time, I think.

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Wed Nov 02, 2022 5:43 pm

Mick Norris wrote:
I am told that Bill O'Rourke has resigned as President of Lancashire and they have not entered any teams in the NCCU county championships this season

G Man have entered 6 teams
I've just logged in to the forum and seen this unexpected news.
Why has Bill O'Rourke resigned suddenly?

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Wed Nov 02, 2022 5:48 pm

Paul Heaton wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 5:22 pm
Michael Farthing wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 5:10 pm

It has been like that for some time, I think.
Yes you are right Paul.
Hertfordshire Chess Association has been offline for considerably longer though and still is.
Nothing has been posted on the Devon Chess Association website since April 2021.

Joey Stewart

Post by Joey Stewart » Wed Nov 02, 2022 6:17 pm

Simon Rogers wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 5:43 pm
Mick Norris wrote:
I am told that Bill O'Rourke has resigned as President of Lancashire and they have not entered any teams in the NCCU county championships this season

Was he one of the original grudge bearers unwilling to let it go maybe or perhaps resigned for more personal reasons - I don't think there are all that many lancashire based players in the forum so we might never know for sure.
Last edited by Joey Stewart on Wed Nov 02, 2022 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.

Nick Ivell

Post by Nick Ivell » Wed Nov 02, 2022 6:35 pm

I am a Lancashire player but I quit county chess in a protest over venues. So I'm completely out of the loop.

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Wed Nov 02, 2022 6:55 pm

Joey Stewart wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 6:17 pm
Simon Rogers wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 5:43 pm
Mick Norris wrote:

Was he one of the original grudge bearers unwilling to let it gomaybe or perhaps resigned for more personal reasons - I don't think there are all that many lancashire based players in the forum so we might never know for sure.
He was Joey.
It was more than just a grudge from the hierarchy of Lancashire. It turned into pure hatred of Greater Manchester. As a forum member from Lancashire, I can inform you that I attended a couple of Lancashire AGM's in the past and one year when someone from the floor brought up the Greater Manchester question, he was told to shut up.
After the AGM one of the Lancashire Committee members said a tasteless joke about Harold Shipman and used a four letter word that Liverpool FC fans call Manchester United.
I myself was told by Bill O'Rourke at one Lancashire AGM held at Lytham Chess Club one year to "sit down and shut up".

Matt Bridgeman

Post by Matt Bridgeman » Thu Nov 03, 2022 12:21 am

He took over the running of the Blackpool Congress a few years ago, so hopefully that’s not in jeopardy now? Set to run a month earlier than normal 10-12th Feb.

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Thu Nov 03, 2022 12:43 am

Matt Bridgeman wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2022 12:21 am
He took over the running of the Blackpool Congress a few years ago, so hopefully that’s not in jeopardy now? Set to run a month earlier than normal 10-12th Feb.
I picked up a basic form for the Blackpool Congress last weekend at Scarborough.
Entry and payment is online only.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Thu Nov 03, 2022 7:25 am

Simon Rogers wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2022 12:43 am
Matt Bridgeman wrote:
I picked up a basic form for the Blackpool Congress last weekend at Scarborough.
Entry and payment is online only.
Clashing with the 4NCL Div 1, 2 and 3E.

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Thu Nov 03, 2022 9:51 am

Matt Bridgeman wrote:
I would be surprised.

It's always been striking just how specific the Lancs/NCCU/GM hang seems to be. Outside that they're apparently entirely reasonable people, even in relation to GM - entirely happy cooperating on a 4NCL team with Manchester, playing in the GM league etc.

Roger Lancaster

Post by Roger Lancaster » Thu Nov 03, 2022 11:21 am

Simon Rogers wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 5:48 pm

Hertfordshire Chess Association has been offline for considerably longer though and still is.
A few days earIier, I'd raised this with the HCA secretary. I'm toId there's a Iot going on behind the scenes invoIving an aIternative hosting service. ApparentIy it's quite a big change which is why it's taking time. (That's as much as I know so I can't eIaborate).