Counties Abolished

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Brian Valentine

Re: Counties Abolished

Post by Brian Valentine » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:06 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:Have there ever been instances where a first class county or a minor county was unable to field a team of the necessary strength? Presumably the "transfer" rule above means that players and counties form a natural equilibrium.
The ECB (not MCC, Paul) rules I quoted are specifically for "Non First Class Competitions" and excluse the Minor Counties competitions. In both these competitions the use of professionals means that restrictions-of-trade issues apply and there are complicated rules to restrict non EEA players where required. In Non First Class competitions these rules apply so transferability is considerably restricted.

I'm amazed that David, as an arbiter is disturbed by regular rule changes. Last week I umpired 3 cricket matches in three days with substantially different regulations (the same 42 laws were largely unaltered). I'm sure he has similar experiences when arbiting.

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:21 pm

Brian,

I just referred to the MCCC (sorry left off one "C" per abuis) website. It listed Middx. boroughs.

Paul.

Richard Thursby

Post by Richard Thursby » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:48 pm

Kevin Thurlow wrote:
Eligibility rules should be there to stop abuses, not to stop people playing.
Correct me if I am wrong, but at one stage didn't the rule on eligibility via club membership require a player claiming eligibility in this manner to have played for the club in either the current or previous season? Applying this to the case of John Saunders, with life membership of Cambridge University Chess Club, on the assumption that you have not played for the university club recently, you cease to be eligible to play for Cambridgeshire. I notice the current set of rules doesn't include this criterion, so if Cambridge re-enter the county championship then technically you will be eligible, as far as I can see.

My understanding for the extra condition is, as Kevin says, to stop abuse by having several ringers who have no connection with the county becoming club members just to bolster the county team.

By the way, in more than a decade of playing in the county championships, I have never heard of anyone's eligibility being challenged, with the exception of ungraded players in the grading limited competitions. Does anyone know of any cases?

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:17 pm

Bob Clark wrote:Many Many years ago most of the Leeds University chess club used to play for Cheshire even though they had no other affiliation with the county, so I guess the rules have changed as I dont remember us ever being defaulted.
This was we the Cheshire captain (Ken Coates I think) was studying at leeds
Ken Coates was probably (and still would be) eligible for Cheshire through birth or long-term residence. Charlie Kennaugh likewise.

Alan Walton

Post by Alan Walton » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:25 pm

Here are the current qualification rules

B6. The qualifications for a player to represent a County in any of these Championships shall be one of the following:-
i) Birth in that county.
ii) Five years residence in that county at any time.
iii) Two months immediate previous and present membership of a club either in or affiliated to that County.
iv) One month immediately previous and present residence in that County.
v) Present attendance as a teacher or student at a school, college or university in that County.

Adam Raoof

Post by Adam Raoof » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:28 pm

Alan Walton wrote:Here are the current qualification rules

B6. The qualifications for a player to represent a County in any of these Championships shall be one of the following:-
i) Birth in that county.
iii) Two months immediate previous and present membership of a club either in or affiliated to that County.
v) Present attendance as a teacher or student at a school, college or university in that County.
What is the reason for having ii) and then iv)?
Adam Raoof IA, IO
Chess England Events - https://chessengland.com/
The Chess Circuit - https://chesscircuit.substack.com/
Don’t stop playing chess!

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:32 pm

Adam Raoof wrote:

i) Birth in that county.
ii) Lived there for 5 years at any stage of your life, whether you live there now or not.
iv) Lived there for the last 1 month (or more) of your life, and currently reside there.

Adam Raoof

Post by Adam Raoof » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:37 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote:
Adam Raoof wrote:

i) Birth in that county.
ii) Lived there for 5 years at any stage of your life, whether you live there now or not.
iv) Lived there for the last 1 month (or more) of your life, and currently reside there.
This means that someone can come from anywhere in the world and play for a county almost immediately, whereas someone who went to University and then worked in the county and left after less than five years can't.
Let's be honest - who is going to check any of these rules, but especially iv)?
Adam Raoof IA, IO

John Saunders

Post by John Saunders » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:38 pm

Adam Raoof wrote:

i) Birth in that county.
ii) means that, once you have lived in the county for five years in total, you are qualified to play for them for life, even if you are no longer living there - the last three only qualify you while they are still current. As soon as you go elsewhere, your eligibility lapses.
Personal Twitter @johnchess
Britbase https://www.britbase.info
(I prefer email to PM - contact me via this link - https://www.saund.org.uk/email.html)

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:43 pm

Adam Raoof wrote: Let's be honest - who is going to check any of these rules, but especially iv)?
Someone who loses 8.5-7.5 in the National Semi Finals and wants to cause a fuss?

Alan Walton

Post by Alan Walton » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:44 pm

Maybe rule (iii) should say you have physically played for a club within the last 12 months, rather than two month membership.

It is easy for a club to place anybody on there membership wherever they reside, but getting them to play may be a different matter

Phil Neatherway

Post by Phil Neatherway » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:06 pm

Speaking as an Oxfordshire* player, I never played in the Open team due to the travelling. (I did get asked occasionally despite my lowly rating). The Chiltern League away matches are all within 1 hour.

The Oxford 4NCL teams are not really a replacement for the County Open team. Many of the players have only a tenuous link to Oxfordshire, along the lines of 'I know someone who used to be a student at Oxford'.

*I live in Abingdon, therefore according to the dinosaurs, I live in Berkshire!!!

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:08 pm

Anywhere south of the Boundary House on Abingdon Road, in some opinions....
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Adam Raoof

Post by Adam Raoof » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:16 pm

Phil Neatherway wrote:Speaking as an Oxfordshire* player, I never played in the Open team due to the travelling. (I did get asked occasionally despite my lowly rating). The Chiltern League away matches are all within 1 hour.

The Oxford 4NCL teams are not really a replacement for the County Open team. Many of the players have only a tenuous link to Oxfordshire, along the lines of 'I know someone who used to be a student at Oxford'.

*I live in Abingdon, therefore according to the dinosaurs, I live in Berkshire!!!
I have driven through Oxford so many times I must qualify under one or other rule...
Adam Raoof IA, IO

Phil Neatherway

Post by Phil Neatherway » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:21 pm

Justin,

The Boundary House is in Oxford Road, Abingdon. It has a very 'lively' atmosphere when there's football on the big screen.

Adam,

why on earth would you drive through Oxford when there's a perfectly good ring road?