Making a zero default time in all leagues!

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
User avatar
Anthony Higgs
Posts: 74
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:31 pm
Location: Cloud Nine

Re: Making a zero default time in all leagues!

Post by Anthony Higgs » Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:51 pm

matt_ward wrote: 3. Why do people play a evening match if they know they will be late or their is a chance of a late arrival.
Because most evening leagues are played for the fun and enjoyment of a game of chess? There is usually no money at stake so the only motivation is to enjoy, and hopefully win, a good game. Why would anyone ruin their own evening's entertainment by saying "You are 5 minutes late, I win, I'm going home"?
http://www.horshamchessclub.org.uk - ECF Club of the Year 2010

Mike Truran
Posts: 2392
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:44 pm
Contact:

Re: Making a zero default time in all leagues!

Post by Mike Truran » Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:52 pm

Matt, my reason for being somewhat short with you is that you seem happy to opine on rules without bothering to actually read them and, worse, not even to be willing to make the effort to look them up even when the rule reference is given to you.

It's all rather a waste of other people's time.

Paul Douglass
Posts: 44
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:47 am

Re: Making a zero default time in all leagues!

Post by Paul Douglass » Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:10 pm

This thread is a waste of time, hence me taking the time to post a reply!! :-)

The originating post in this thread is indicitive of "please engage your brain before you open your mouth"!

As its been mentioned chess is a hobby combining fun and enjoyment for practically all of us. Losing a game to a rather futile and pointless rule at "our" level would drive the small remaining amount of players away...
Paul Douglass

"Every time I win a tournament I have to think that there is something wrong with modern chess." - Victor Korchnoi

matt_ward
Posts: 418
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:20 pm

Re: Making a zero default time in all leagues!

Post by matt_ward » Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:16 pm

But I disagree with you. I have made efforts previously I will get this handbook where can I purchase it from. Becuse I'm hoping too captain a couple of teams this year.


Your making acquisitions without any facts to back up your opinion of me. Just because I stated my view, I find your opinions of me somewhat more offensive though. I will get this handbook absord it all so I'm up to date with it.

I don't want to become in a war over a matter of opinions after all it's a "Chess Forum".

Matt.

matt_ward
Posts: 418
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:20 pm

Re: Making a zero default time in all leagues!

Post by matt_ward » Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:17 pm

Paul if that's the case your suggesting this whole forum is a waste off time. Their is nothing like abit of banter though is there.

As long as it's not with malicious intent. I don't think it is a waste off time atall after all we are expressing are opinions which is what a forum is designed to do.

And why are you replying to this thread then?

Matt.

User avatar
Carl Hibbard
Posts: 5864
Joined: Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:05 pm
Location: Evesham

Re: Making a zero default time in all leagues!

Post by Carl Hibbard » Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:25 pm

matt_ward wrote:As long as it's not with malicious intent. I don't think it is a waste off time at all after all we are expressing are opinions which is what a forum is designed to do.
Giving a little more time and thought to your posts before firing one off would not be wasted though :roll:
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Alan Walton
Posts: 1326
Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:33 pm
Location: Oldham

Re: Making a zero default time in all leagues!

Post by Alan Walton » Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:30 pm

Matt,

Your views will always be welcome, but maybe a little more respect to people who have a lot more experience in chess matters than yourself, would be appreciated

A good lot of us have been player for over 25 years, and experienced all the changes in rules, regarding the thread in mind, you would see that most of us think FIDE no tolerance approach to default time was slightly ill-advised

Roger de Coverly
Posts: 19262
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:51 pm

Re: Making a zero default time in all leagues!

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:35 pm

If the ECF introduced zero default time, it would say goodbye to anyone being part of the national chess federation. Leagues and Congresses would "do a Yorkshire" and go unofficial.

FIDE delegates didn't have the sense to tell Kirsan to take zero default back to the aliens, but did have the sense not to make it compulsory.

I would not expect someone to travel 30 miles to an away evening venue with the prospect that if they or their opponent were thirty seconds late that the game did not take place. It's not even in line with other sports - tennis players amongst others have a few minutes grace.

The Berks league adopts a fixed default time of 8.30pm - that's one hour after the nominal start time. The local motorways can and have caused players to be seriously late on occasions.

The 4NCL unlike most congresses has a one-hour default time. This makes sense because of the distances that some players are travelling prior to the game.

Sean Hewitt

Re: Making a zero default time in all leagues!

Post by Sean Hewitt » Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:37 pm

matt_ward wrote:But I disagree with you. I have made efforts previously I will get this handbook where can I purchase it from. Becuse I'm hoping too captain a couple of teams this year.
Matt - The FIDE handbook is online here : http://www.fide.com/fide/handbook.html

Ian Thompson
Posts: 2671
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:31 pm
Location: Awbridge, Hampshire

Re: Making a zero default time in all leagues!

Post by Ian Thompson » Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:38 pm

Ernie Lazenby wrote:FIDE brought the zero default time in for financial and panache reasons. At FIDE events with VIP's present including those with big deep pockets the organisers want the players present at the start not wandering in after the VIP's/sponsors have left. At that level I dont have a problem with the rule.
It's not even a good rule at these events. Of course its not good if the players aren't there on time to meet the VIPs and sponsors. It's even worse if the VIPs and sponsors turn up expecting to see a game of chess and it doesn't happen - better late than never, I think.

Sean Hewitt

Re: Making a zero default time in all leagues!

Post by Sean Hewitt » Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:40 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote: The 4NCL unlike most congresses has a one-hour default time. This makes sense because of the distances that some players are travelling prior to the game.
We are one hour for the same reason, although we reserve the right to re-pair after 30 minutes. This means that those present don't wait too long to get a game started whilst giving those negotiating the M25 maximum opportunity to arrive.

Richard Thursby
Posts: 202
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:25 am
Location: origin + pathname + search + hash

Re: Making a zero default time in all leagues!

Post by Richard Thursby » Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:49 pm

A zero default time would be completely unenforcable unless all parties have access to an extremely accurate clock. You can just imagine if, for a 7pm start, a player arrives with his watch displaying 6:59 and his opponent's displaying 7:01. I wouldn't want to be around for the fallout of that one!

Roger de Coverly
Posts: 19262
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:51 pm

Re: Making a zero default time in all leagues!

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:58 pm

Ian Thompson wrote: It's not even a good rule at these events. Of course its not good if the players aren't there on time to meet the VIPs and sponsors. It's even worse if the VIPs and sponsors turn up expecting to see a game of chess and it doesn't happen - better late than never, I think.
Kirsan quoted the number of vacant boards at past Olympiads as a reason for introducing the rule at the Olympiads. Had he made minimal enquiries, he would have noticed that the security for entry to the playing hall was mostly responsible for late arrivals.

Non-arrival of players for the first round can be a problem if there's a need to make a ceremonial first move. Better though for the arbiter or organiser to contact players beforehand and request their early arrival than the wreck the tournament with defaults.

matt_ward
Posts: 418
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:20 pm

Re: Making a zero default time in all leagues!

Post by matt_ward » Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:25 pm

I see I am the 1% of the chess society that want to see this rule the other 99% are against it!

Not a great start for an introduction.

Matt.

matt_ward
Posts: 418
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:20 pm

Re: Making a zero default time in all leagues!

Post by matt_ward » Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:30 pm

Although I did then give way to a 5-10 minute default time, whatever the time control.

Look at that game verse Nigel D Short there was an incident when Nigel's opponent turned up 24 minutes late for a 25 minute rapidplay game??

Matt.

Post Reply