Youngest qualified arbiter in England?

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Alex Holowczak
Posts: 8880
Joined: Sat May 30, 2009 5:18 pm
Location: Oldbury, Worcestershire
Contact:

Youngest qualified arbiter in England?

Post by Alex Holowczak » Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:32 pm

At the British Championship this week, Thomas Thorpe (14 years old) passed the arbiter's exam. He just requires two further "norms" to become a fully qualified arbiter (i.e. reports from senior arbiters). I think this is great; we go on about not having young players, but people don't notice the lack of young organisers or arbiters. In any case, is he the youngest? Presumably he'll be 15 by the time he qualifies, which must be pretty young as standards go.

Unfortunately, you have to be 21 to be a FIDE Arbiter, so he has a long wait before he can climb any higher up the ladder.

Ian Thompson
Posts: 2109
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:31 pm
Location: Awbridge, Hampshire

Re: Youngest qualified arbiter in England?

Post by Ian Thompson » Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:45 pm

I can't beat that, but I can name another young player who has passed the exam - George Tunstall, who passed last year at the age of 15 :), scoring 1 mark more than I did in the exam :shock:.

Roger de Coverly
Posts: 18046
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:51 pm

Re: Youngest qualified arbiter in England?

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:49 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote: In any case, is he the youngest?
Isn't there a girl assisting sometimes at the 4NCL - I don't recall her name.

Alex Holowczak
Posts: 8880
Joined: Sat May 30, 2009 5:18 pm
Location: Oldbury, Worcestershire
Contact:

Re: Youngest qualified arbiter in England?

Post by Alex Holowczak » Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:51 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Alex Holowczak wrote: In any case, is he the youngest?
Isn't there a girl assisting sometimes at the 4NCL - I don't recall her name.
She's 15, and is not yet a qualified arbiter (but is interested in becoming one, and was studiously copying the rules out...) She does control sections of the Midlands-based congresses that Dave Thomas is the Chief Arbiter of.

She just does game inputting for the 4NCL, and acts as a runner if one of the other arbiters needs something to be delivered.

User avatar
Wilf Arnold
Posts: 91
Joined: Sun May 31, 2009 9:36 pm
Location: Munich
Contact:

Re: Youngest qualified arbiter in England?

Post by Wilf Arnold » Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:52 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote:At the British Championship this week, Thomas Thorpe (14 years old) passed the arbiter's exam. He just requires two further "norms" to become a fully qualified arbiter (i.e. reports from senior arbiters). I think this is great; we go on about not having young players, but people don't notice the lack of young organisers or arbiters. In any case, is he the youngest? Presumably he'll be 15 by the time he qualifies, which must be pretty young as standards go.

Unfortunately, you have to be 21 to be a FIDE Arbiter, so he has a long wait before he can climb any higher up the ladder.
We did have a young girl who assisted at the British for some of the time in Liverpool who I recall was 11 or 12.

Can't remember the exact details though.

User avatar
Wilf Arnold
Posts: 91
Joined: Sun May 31, 2009 9:36 pm
Location: Munich
Contact:

Re: Youngest qualified arbiter in England?

Post by Wilf Arnold » Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:56 pm

Ian Thompson wrote:I can't beat that, but I can name another young player who has passed the exam - George Tunstall, who passed last year at the age of 15 :), scoring 1 mark more than I did in the exam :shock:.
Exam are much easier these days!

Eh when I were a lad.......

ThomasThorpe
Posts: 112
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:30 pm

Re: Youngest qualified arbiter in England?

Post by ThomasThorpe » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:38 am

:) This young whipper-snapper be me :) I'll hopefully still be 14 when i get these 2 "norms", as hoping to get them this year, if not start of next year, since my birthday is quite late on for my age, I'd hopefully still be 14 :D

User avatar
Wilf Arnold
Posts: 91
Joined: Sun May 31, 2009 9:36 pm
Location: Munich
Contact:

Re: Youngest qualified arbiter in England?

Post by Wilf Arnold » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:20 am

ThomasThorpe wrote::) This young whipper-snapper be me :) I'll hopefully still be 14 when i get these 2 "norms", as hoping to get them this year, if not start of next year, since my birthday is quite late on for my age, I'd hopefully still be 14 :D
It's good to see someone of this age join the arbiting community. I hope your enthusiasm carries on through the next few years.

I would also hope that players treat you the same as other arbiters - that'll be a test of your sense of humour and (sometimes) thickness of skin!

User avatar
Gavin Strachan
Posts: 676
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:06 am
Contact:

Re: Youngest qualified arbiter in England?

Post by Gavin Strachan » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:11 am

I was hoping to go for the oldest person to become a GM ;)

User avatar
Gareth Harley-Yeo
Posts: 307
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:58 pm
Location: Wales
Contact:

Re: Youngest qualified arbiter in England?

Post by Gareth Harley-Yeo » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:15 am

Gavin Strachan wrote:I was hoping to go for the oldest person to become a GM ;)
I'm going to settle for oldest person to become a CM :oops:

Sean Hewitt

Re: Youngest qualified arbiter in England?

Post by Sean Hewitt » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:18 pm

ThomasThorpe wrote::) This young whipper-snapper be me :) I'll hopefully still be 14 when i get these 2 "norms", as hoping to get them this year, if not start of next year, since my birthday is quite late on for my age, I'd hopefully still be 14 :D
I'm not sure where you're based, but you can certainly look to get them at an e2e4 event if there is one local to you.

Sean Hewitt

Re: Youngest qualified arbiter in England?

Post by Sean Hewitt » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:18 pm

Gareth Harley-Yeo wrote:
Gavin Strachan wrote:I was hoping to go for the oldest person to become a GM ;)
I'm going to settle for oldest person to become a CM :oops:
Thought you were trying for the WFM title?!

George Tunstall
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:28 pm

Re: Youngest qualified arbiter in England?

Post by George Tunstall » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:57 pm

George Tunstall here :P

I think that it is good that young people are becoming arbiters. The problem I have is that I am a chess player, and so am usually playing chess instead of arbiting :P Also, If I was playing at the British this year, I would have done some arbiting of the junior sections in the morning, and played in the afternoon. Thomas is quite lucky in the fact that his GCSE's are still a (reasonably) long way away. Once they get close a lot of things (unfortunately) suddenly seem more important than playing chess or arbiting :(

User avatar
Rob Thompson
Posts: 757
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:03 pm
Location: Behind you

Re: Youngest qualified arbiter in England?

Post by Rob Thompson » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:02 pm

I'm just glad that I'm no longer the only junior frequenting these boards :P
True glory lies in doing what deserves to be written; in writing what deserves to be read.

Kevin Thurlow
Posts: 2924
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:28 pm

Re: Youngest qualified arbiter in England?

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:08 am

"I think that it is good that young people are becoming arbiters. The problem I have is that I am a chess player, and so am usually playing chess instead of arbiting"

Absolutely right! I have discovered the interesting attitude that when you mildly penalise a junior for infractions of the Laws, people start saying, "He's a junior - he doesn't know the rules!" and even the answer, "He's graded 185, don't you think he ought to?" doesn't sway them. I always thought that juniors should be able to learn the Laws as they have more practice learning things than adults...

One bit of advice for aspiring arbiters, watch arbiters in action and see what they do. This can be useful to learn what to do (and of course on occasion, what not to do).
"Kevin was the arbiter and was very patient. " Nick Grey

Post Reply