Youngest qualified arbiter in England?

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Sean Hewitt

Re: Youngest qualified arbiter in England?

Post by Sean Hewitt » Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:41 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote:The other problem is getting people to run clubs, be delegates etc. I'd quite like to meet people under 30 at Meetings. Heck, I'd settle for under 40...
:D

Wilf Arnold

Post by Wilf Arnold » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:37 pm

I've remembered that the girl I mentioned earlier in the thread was Maya Haria. I'm sure Bob Jones did a piece about her in his blog in Liverpool. She passed the exam at 11 years old.

However, since the 2008 British I've not heard of her 'on the circuit'. I hope this is just a case of different circles, because someone passing the test at that age should to be given lots of tournament exposure. Knowledge of the rules is one thing, the application of them is another (but that's for another thread).

I'd ask any tournament organisers/controllers to give these juniors some experience, they've taken the trouble to pass the exams - they deserve a chance to show what they can do.

As I'm living abroad I'll be cheeky and ask players to show the same level of respect to the new arbiters that they show to the 'older generation'. :twisted:

ThomasThorpe

Post by ThomasThorpe » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:28 pm

Here's a question I'm wondering. If I'm arbiting a junior event, do I need to be CRB checked, and if so, how do I get checked? I'm not 1--% sure how the process works, so any help is much appreciated. I'm hoping to arbitrate a junior event in Wales in november, so want to make sure of the details in advance

Cheers

Michael Jones

Post by Michael Jones » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:34 pm

An adult would need to apply through whatever organisation they're doing the work with, which I presume for a tournament in Wales would mean the WCU. I guess if you're under 18 yourself that wouldn't apply though.
Last edited by Michael Jones on Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ThomasThorpe

Post by ThomasThorpe » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:35 pm

Thank you Michael. Thankfully it is late November I am arbiting, so I should be able to get the forms through in time.

Michael Jones

Post by Michael Jones » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:38 pm

Edit - just seen the other thread where you said you were 14. I guess that means that the CRB process wouldn't apply, since the players you're arbiting could conceivably be older than you - have to say I don't have any direct experience of this particular situation though, so maybe someone else knows better than me.

ThomasThorpe

Post by ThomasThorpe » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:40 pm

ok, at least I know for the future how to apply if needs be. I think there is an U16 section, so yes they could be older than me. Hopefully I will be saved the hassle of doing it ;)

Thanks for the help anyway

Wilf Arnold

Post by Wilf Arnold » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:51 pm

The WCU person responsible for CRB clearances is Kevin Staveley. [email protected]

I've arbited this event in the past (at the Cathedral School) and I'd be surprised if you'll need to be CRB cleared - it all takes place in a fairly open room(s), so there should be no real problems. The participants cover a whole range of standards so it could be quite interesting - especially among the younger age groups.

I hope you enjoy the day.

ThomasThorpe

Post by ThomasThorpe » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:56 pm

Thank you Wilf. I'm working for Kevin that day, so I'm sure if I do need to be CRB checked he will have let me know. Thanks for passing this information on. It's very helpful @_

Wilf Arnold

Post by Wilf Arnold » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:02 pm

If you're working with Kevin and there's a full football fixture list and lots of horse race meetings the 'odds' are you'll be very busy :lol:

ThomasThorpe

Post by ThomasThorpe » Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:44 pm

yeah, I noticed that when I arbited the Welsh Autumn Congress. Myself and Nathan (the other arbiter) were sat there going...... where's Kevin gone?
His excuse: He's gone to get petrol xD

Wilf Arnold

Post by Wilf Arnold » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:30 pm

He probably left at ten to one and returned at thirteen to two?

To be fair he is good fun to work with. He taught me everything I know - including how the horsey moves!