Swiss Pairing issues

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Alex Holowczak

Re: Swiss Pairing issues

Post by Alex Holowczak » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:09 am

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:
Stewart Reuben wrote:And, in one of the lower sections at the Evening Standard Islington Congress, one of my assistant arbiters gave ALL the higher seeds White in the first round. It was remarkable that the tournament worked out pretty well.
It would be simpler to just let the players draw lots for colours (before each game). Is that ever still done?
Would that be simpler?

I usually ask the #1 seed whether he wants to be white in round 1 or black in round 1, which is the only time you're technically supposed to draw lots. If he has no preference, I give him the colour such that the alternating sequence will give him white in the last round.

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:11 am

You are supposed to draw lots for colours in round 1 - which could be a simple toss of a coin or something more elaborate like some congresses do :-)

There is no reason to favour the top seed.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:13 am

Sean Hewitt wrote:You are supposed to draw lots for colours in round 1 - which could be a simple toss of a coin or something more elaborate like some congresses do :-)

There is no reason to favour the top seed.
Practically though, does it make much difference?

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:23 am

Alex Holowczak wrote:Practically though, does it make much difference?

In Opens it's possible that the top seed is the top seed in every event he or she plays in, also if the top seed has a useful rating advantage over the rest of the field, three whites and two blacks exaggerates it.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:00 am

CK >It would be simpler to just let the players draw lots for colours (before each game). Is that ever still done?<

Was it ever? I did run a junior tournament where I carefully worked out the colours for each player for each round. Then I discovered that some of the children had not realised that the first-named player got White and had tossed for colour.

For blitz Swiss tournaments it is common to play two games against each opponent each round. I am still looking for somebody to run a slower event like this, preferably FIDE Rated. It probably would be supported financially by FIDE.

Stewart Reuben

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:40 am

Stewart Reuben wrote:For blitz Swiss tournaments it is common to play two games against each opponent each round. I am still looking for somebody to run a slower event like this, preferably FIDE Rated. It probably would be supported financially by FIDE.
Aren't some of the super-GM APA tournaments double-round ones? Or are you talking about a swiss event with two games each opponent each round. How would the pairings work there? I guess Tournament Director couldn't cope with that, as you would not only have more scoring combinations (2-0, 1.5-0.5, 1-1 [twice], 0.5-1.5, 0-2) but I guess most programs can't cope with eliminating the need for colour options.

Eoin Devane

Post by Eoin Devane » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:49 am

Stewart Reuben wrote:For blitz Swiss tournaments it is common to play two games against each opponent each round. I am still looking for somebody to run a slower event like this, preferably FIDE Rated. It probably would be supported financially by FIDE.
Aren't some of the super-GM APA tournaments double-round ones? Or are you talking about a swiss event with two games each opponent each round. How would the pairings work there? I guess Tournament Director couldn't cope with that, as you would not only have more scoring combinations (2-0, 1.5-0.5, 1-1 [twice], 0.5-1.5, 0-2) but I guess most programs can't cope with eliminating the need for colour options.
Swiss Perfect can handle double rounds. I used it for our club blitzes last season and it seemed to work quite well. As far as I can remember, I think I was unable to find the option in both Swiss Master and Tournament Director.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:02 am

Eoin Devane wrote:
Swiss Perfect can handle double rounds. I used it for our club blitzes last season and it seemed to work quite well. As far as I can remember, I think I was unable to find the option in both Swiss Master and Tournament Director.
What about triple rounds? :)

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:11 am

Programs can also cope with Double rounds if they include the option of Olympiad Swiss pairings. That is how we coped in Rumania.
Quadruple round all-play-alls have also been played, e.g. the Candidates, the 1948 World Championship and one South African event.
The logic of holding a triple round event escapes me, but then so does a 5 player teams tournament as in the National Club Major, etc.
I was referring to Swiss event with two games against each opponent.

I have just invented a completely new system. 1 game in round 1; 2 in round 2; 3 in round 3 and so on. Somebody will no doubt work out why one would run such an event. Oh yes. So the round gets more and more important as the event continues. That comes of waking up in the middle of the night.
Stewart Reuben