Karpov FIDE presidential campaign

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
User avatar
Christopher Kreuzer
Posts: 7469
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:34 am
Location: London

Karpov FIDE presidential campaign

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:48 pm

I couldn't find a recent thread on this, and rather than bring it up any further in the Staunton Memorial Dinner thread, I thought I'd start a new thread on Karpov's campaign to be the next President of FIDE. What are the main things that Karpov is saying he will do differently?

http://www.karpov2010.com/

It's certainly an impressive website!

And here is the campaign platform:

http://www.karpov2010.org/karpov2010-platform/

David Sedgwick
Posts: 3644
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:56 pm
Location: Croydon

Re: Karpov FIDE presidential campaign

Post by David Sedgwick » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:12 am

There was an earlier thread on this, albeit not particularly recent.

http://www.ecforum.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1502

However impressive Karpov's website and platform may be, he has one major problem: Ilyumzhinov is claiming victory.

http://www.onefide.com/

At the Press Conference in London on 8th September, a key question for Karpov might be "What makes you think you can still win?"

User avatar
Christopher Kreuzer
Posts: 7469
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:34 am
Location: London

Re: Karpov FIDE presidential campaign

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:31 am

David Sedgwick wrote:There was an earlier thread on this, albeit not particularly recent.

http://www.ecforum.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1502

However impressive Karpov's website and platform may be, he has one major problem: Ilyumzhinov is claiming victory.

http://www.onefide.com/

At the Press Conference in London on 8th September, a key question for Karpov might be "What makes you think you can still win?"
Or maybe (slightly more controversial) "Why are some federations voting for Ilyumzhinov and not you?"

Matthew Turner
Posts: 2729
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 11:54 am

Re: Karpov FIDE presidential campaign

Post by Matthew Turner » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:24 am

Hi Chris,
Federations don't vote, FIDE Delegates do. They vote for Kirsan because they expect to personally gain from his reappointment. However, I think regardless of what Federations or Delegates have said at the moment Kirsan is far from home and dry. There are two important points to bear in mind
1. There is a big wow factor associated with an ex World Champion, that has got to impress some Delegates
2. The vote is going to held at the Olympiad. If that is going to be a complete disaster that must hurt the incumbent.

I would like to Karpov win because I firmly believe he is a very nice guy with the best interests of chess at heart, but don't be fooled, I am sure he is supported by some dodgy motors who will be keen to get their snorts in the trough as soon as he is elected.

User avatar
Christopher Kreuzer
Posts: 7469
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:34 am
Location: London

Re: Karpov FIDE presidential campaign

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:40 am

Matthew Turner wrote:Hi Chris,
Federations don't vote, FIDE Delegates do. They vote for Kirsan because they expect to personally gain from his reappointment. However, I think regardless of what Federations or Delegates have said at the moment Kirsan is far from home and dry. There are two important points to bear in mind
1. There is a big wow factor associated with an ex World Champion, that has got to impress some Delegates
2. The vote is going to held at the Olympiad. If that is going to be a complete disaster that must hurt the incumbent.

I would like to Karpov win because I firmly believe he is a very nice guy with the best interests of chess at heart, but don't be fooled, I am sure he is supported by some dodgy motors who will be keen to get their snorts in the trough as soon as he is elected.
Thanks, Matt. I followed the thread elsewhere about the press release that caused a kurfuffle, but decided not to post there. I was kind of hoping that people would want to discuss Karpov's proposals and his campaign, rather than a press release that focused to a large extent on Kirsan, but it seems not. Andrew Martin made the point that I had made earlier that focusing on Kirsan's odder points drags the level of the debate down, and that it would be good to point out the good (and bad) bits of Karpov's campaign and his campaign platform.

I provided links earlier in the thread if anyone (especially those from the ECF) wants to take up this challenge.

Stewart Reuben
Posts: 4056
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:04 pm
Location: writer

Re: Karpov FIDE presidential campaign

Post by Stewart Reuben » Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:27 pm

I have earlier contacted the Karpov camp about the lack of new initiatives in their campaign. It is easier for an incumbent simply to point to past achievements and say it will be more of the same.
Karpov says he has raised large sums from business sponsors. FIDE have never been good at this. But FIDE has been good at raising money from governments.
Stewart Reuben

User avatar
Christopher Kreuzer
Posts: 7469
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:34 am
Location: London

Re: Karpov FIDE presidential campaign

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:27 pm

Stewart Reuben wrote:I have earlier contacted the Karpov camp about the lack of new initiatives in their campaign. It is easier for an incumbent simply to point to past achievements and say it will be more of the same.
Karpov says he has raised large sums from business sponsors. FIDE have never been good at this. But FIDE has been good at raising money from governments.
Stewart Reuben
The impression I get is that the two camps have been focusing on different electorates, with as you say Karpov's campiagn focusing on business sponsorship. Are there FIDE delegates that are genuine swing voters where each campaign is focusing their efforts?

Stewart Reuben
Posts: 4056
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:04 pm
Location: writer

Re: Karpov FIDE presidential campaign

Post by Stewart Reuben » Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:24 am

Some delegates are of course mandated by their federation, and Short is mandated to vote for Karpov this year. I don't know how many are genuine swing voters this year. FIDE often hasn't followed their own statutes so that surprise candidates have turned up. Look what happened in the UK this year.

Stewart Reuben

User avatar
Christopher Kreuzer
Posts: 7469
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:34 am
Location: London

Re: Karpov FIDE presidential campaign

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:58 am

Stewart Reuben wrote:Some delegates are of course mandated by their federation, and Short is mandated to vote for Karpov this year. I don't know how many are genuine swing voters this year. FIDE often hasn't followed their own statutes so that surprise candidates have turned up. Look what happened in the UK this year.
What happened in the UK this year?

Stewart Reuben
Posts: 4056
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:04 pm
Location: writer

Re: Karpov FIDE presidential campaign

Post by Stewart Reuben » Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:28 am

Dear Christopher,
We now have a coalition government. Nothing about the voting prepared us for the pact between the two parties.
Stewart Reuben

Leonard Barden
Posts: 1549
Joined: Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:21 am

Re: Karpov FIDE presidential campaign

Post by Leonard Barden » Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:41 pm

Stewart Reuben wrote:Dear Christopher,
We now have a coalition government. Nothing about the voting prepared us for the pact between the two parties.
Stewart Reuben
On that analogy there could be a backstairs deal followed by the withdrawal of one candidate and/or a powersharing agreement. That is not an impossible outcome given the history of Fide elections, and the previous involvement of Ilyumzhinov, Karpov and Kasparov, in the past 25 years.

Jonathan Rogers
Posts: 4003
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:26 pm

Re: Karpov FIDE presidential campaign

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:40 pm

well, hmm, the voters caused the hung parliament. In FIDE, Kirsan wins by a landslide but gives plum jobs to the defeated candidates in order to get to say "gens una sumus" one more time - and perhaps to ensure that the defeated persons do not re-emerge as rivals, nor try to create a breakaway federation with the few federations (but representing 75% or whatever of active players) who had supported them.

Alex Holowczak
Posts: 9085
Joined: Sat May 30, 2009 5:18 pm
Location: Oldbury, Worcestershire
Contact:

Re: Karpov FIDE presidential campaign

Post by Alex Holowczak » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:03 am

Chessbase is reporting that the Ilyumzhinov ticket will be allowed to stand: http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=6706

User avatar
Wilf Arnold
Posts: 91
Joined: Sun May 31, 2009 9:36 pm
Location: Munich
Contact:

Re: Karpov FIDE presidential campaign

Post by Wilf Arnold » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:48 am

Alex Holowczak wrote:Chessbase is reporting that the Ilyumzhinov ticket will be allowed to stand: http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=6706
I note that the 'winners' also state "Despite this positive outcome, FIDE deeply regrets the FIDE resources spent on its efforts to have this frivolous claim dismissed."

Surely people running for re-election to an office cannot use the resources of that office to aid their cause? It's a bit like Labour using the public purse to fight it's election campaign.

Alex Holowczak
Posts: 9085
Joined: Sat May 30, 2009 5:18 pm
Location: Oldbury, Worcestershire
Contact:

Re: Karpov FIDE presidential campaign

Post by Alex Holowczak » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:52 am

My gripe was the fact that the conclusion seemed to be that since everyone had failed to follow the rules properly before, it'd be unfair to punish Ilyumzhinov, who may or may not be following them either. Seems to be a waste of time having the rule there in the first place...

Post Reply